what a fucking joke
what a fucking joke
what a fucking joke
what a fucking joke
what a fucking joke
what a fucking joke
what a fucking joke
Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm with you. I just got this CD last week. Listened to it twice through. That's about it for me.

Pretty disappointed.

Not for me I guess.
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• strongly disagreeing with you there. some of their most beautiful music is on there. their best since OK Computer.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    I'm with you. I just got this CD last week. Listened to it twice through. That's about it for me.

Pretty disappointed.

Not for me I guess.

well, it's Radiofuckinghead, so it has to be genius beyond comprehension right? we're probably just too stupid to enjoy the utter inventiveness of those enigmatic musicians.

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    strongly disagreeing with you there. some of their most beautiful music is on there. their best since OK Computer.

i actually think httt might have been their greatest hour in terms of doing something "clever". oh well, lets agree to disagree ;)

• glasshouse wrote:
    well, it's Radiofuckinghead, so it has to be genius beyond comprehension right? we're probably just too stupid to enjoy the utter inventiveness of those enigmatic musicians.

that's where you're wrong, i think anyways. i just like it because it's GOOD! And quite frankly, it's lightyears more accessible than Kid A and Amnesiac, and even Hail to the Thief for that matter.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • glasshouse wrote:
    i actually think httt might have been their greatest hour in terms of doing something "clever". oh well, lets agree to disagree ;)

HTTT has some awesome songs on it, but it was hit or miss for me- a lotta filler on there. the band is on the record too saying it was an unpleasant album for them. but again, like i said, HTTT had some great tunes on it.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    that's where you're wrong, i think anyways. i just like it because it's GOOD! And quite frankly, it's lightyears more accessible than Kid A and Amnesiac, and even Hail to the Thief for that matter.

at least the albums you listed above have some kind of "original fee" to them. btw i don't think in rainbows is beautiful, i think it dwells from one track to the next without any glimpse of something the band hasn't given us before.
    peace.

• glasshouse wrote:
    at least the albums you listed above have some kind of "original fee" to them. btw i don't think in rainbows is beautiful, i think it dwells from one track to the next without any glimpse of something the band hasn't given us before.
    peace.

but a band doesn't have to re-invent themselves with every new album for it to be good. pearl jam's new one hasn't broken any new ground, but is that a bad thing, nah. it sounds good. in rainbows, to me, is a glimpse of the band from every phase of their last six albums combined, which is a cool thing.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    but a band doesn't have to re-invent themselves with every new album for it to be good. pearl jam's new one hasn't broken any new ground, but is that a bad thing, nah. it sounds good. in rainbows, to me, is a glimpse of the band from every phase of their last six albums combined, which is a cool thing.

i agree with you on the reinvention part. i disagree with you on the quality of in rainbows. strongly.

• glasshouse wrote:
    i agree with you on the reinvention part. i disagree with you on the quality of in rainbows. strongly.

and you're entitled to that. i just happen to like it.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • strongly disagreeing with you there. some of their most beautiful music is on there. their best since OK Computer.

I agree, definately their best since OK Computer, I love this album and I can't wait to see them on May 5th here in Florida, I about fainted getting tickets yesterday morning :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • In Rainbows is in my top 2 releases of the year.

I don't feel like a fucking joke for feeling that way. I think the music is beautiful and it struck a chord with me on the first listen. This was the first Radiohead album that was EASILY accessible since the Bends. (No Diss on OK Computer my favorite album of theres, but that was hardly an accessible album.) It was good for me to know they could still write beautiful music without concerning themselves with being different.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • glasshouse wrote:

This quote is unfair and I think that you are one of those Radiohead haters because critics and indie kids love them so much.

Oh well its your loss really, and no skin off my back.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
  • SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    What was better? Not sure if it is Top4 but Top6 for sure.
  • The absolute best album I've heard from 07. Hell, the best new album I've heard in a long time. I would place it second in their catolog right behind HTTT. And most people I know that truely appreciate music (not just wanting a new party theme or testosterone filled head-banger and not concerned with mass popularity) LOVE THIS ALBUM. So to say that its a joke for it to be ranked like that is joke to me.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    Well it all depends on what other releases are up there. 2007 was not a great year for music (well at least for me, with huge disappointments) and in rainbows is one of the best (or less worse if you don't like it) albums of 2007.
  • Schoki wrote:
    What was better? Not sure if it is Top4 but Top6 for sure.

http://www.metacritic.com/music/bests/2007.shtml

The Field, Burial, and Stars of the Lid. Burial is the only one I would put up there with In Rainbows.
    The car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
    And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    This quote is unfair and I think that you are one of those Radiohead haters because critics and indie kids love them so much.

Oh well its your loss really, and no skin off my back.

He might not be a hater, but it is quite silly to think that everything they put out is genius and that much different than what was released before it. I still think The Bends is by far their best album, dont even like most others.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    In Rainbows took a long time to grow on me. It felt pretty boring and unimaginative at first, but it revealed itself as time went on. Bodysnatchers for instance... I thought it was a lame duck for a couple weeks. Then recently I just got hooked on it.

Some songs I'm convinced just aren't very good though. Faust Arp is terrible, and Weird Fishes hasn't caught on (it's decent though).
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DOSW wrote:
    In Rainbows took a long time to grow on me. It felt pretty boring and unimaginative at first, but it revealed itself as time went on. Bodysnatchers for instance... I thought it was a lame duck for a couple weeks. Then recently I just got hooked on it.

Some songs I'm convinced just aren't very good though. Faust Arp is terrible, and Weird Fishes hasn't caught on (it's decent though).

I LOVE the strings on Faust Arp. The second half of that song totally redeams the first part of the song imo. Wierd Fishes is cool def not my fav.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
  • The drumming in 15 Step is enough to make In Rainbows best album of the year.