Options

PJ Harvey?

glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
edited March 2008 in Other Music
Any fans?
i don't know her music, but i think it's something i need to remedy.

where to start?
Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    Personally I think Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea is her best work, others will no doubt recommend something else though :)
  • Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    Hebejebe wrote:
    Personally I think Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea is her best work, others will no doubt recommend something else though :)

http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/harveypj/storiesfromthecity?q=pj%20harvey

I know reviews don't necessarily get it right, but it looks promising.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    V VV V Posts: 5,191
    love everything she does :D:D:D:D
    ~~~~~~~~~~ PINK FLUFFY LOVE PSYCHO~~~~~~~~~~
    Astoria,Dublin,Reading 06,Wembley 07,Sheapards Bush & o2 09 thats multiple Jamgasms!
  • Options
    stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    PJ Harvey is fantastic, i love all her work but think that Stories from the City Stories from the Sea is my favourite. There are some absolute classics on Dry though. Plants and Rags is probably my favourite Pj Harvey song actually

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YeJdnKtx78c
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    She's fantastic. To Bring You My Love would be a good start.
  • Options
    soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I started with Is This Desire? and it's my favorite to this day, but any of her 90's albums would be a fine choice.

I still haven't bothered to buy the new one. Uh Huh Her wasn't a good indicator of where she's headed . . .
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,943
    i love the album with her on the front and her hair swinging...

rid of me?? awesome
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I '24
  • Options
    Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    i love the album with her on the front and her hair swinging...

rid of me?? awesome

Rid of Me is my favorite too....great songs (even though the production sounds horrible IMO) - I would love a remastered release of this album
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Options
    DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    soclose wrote:
    I started with Is This Desire? and it's my favorite to this day, but any of her 90's albums would be a fine choice.

I still haven't bothered to buy the new one. Uh Huh Her wasn't a good indicator of where she's headed . . .

What he said.......except i started with to bring you my love
  • Options
    hodgehodge Posts: 519
    for some reason i used to not dig female vocalists

but i just recently 'discovered' pj harvey and cat power, and i dig both...quite a lot
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    Django wrote:
    What She said.......except i started with to bring you my love

Sorry, just a pet peeve.;)
  • Options
    mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    She's ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT
    Live and on record
    Get it all, you won't be disappointed

To bring you my Love and Stories from the city/sea
    are my personal favs
    Come on Billy is what started it for me

but as i said its all good

she ranks very close to PJ for me (along w/ Chris, Layne, Radiohead, Bright Eyes, Zeppelin, Bjork and Cat Power)
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • Options
    mark armmark arm Posts: 962
    "rid of me", recorded by Steve Albini. If i remember correctly is from 1992
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • Options
    hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    Stories..would be a good start..its more of her sound nowadays..but you should listen to the above recommendations too..both Is This Desire and Rid Of Me are gr8 albums too
  • Options
    lephtylephty Posts: 770
    so i just got into PJ Harvey.... I had her on my ipod from a friend for what seems to be forever, but never got around to listening to her. so i was in the mood for some music with a feminine voice and went through portishead and sneaker pimps and got to pj harvey.

i listened to Uh Huh Her and Rid Of Me which was all i had at the time and was like WOAH! when i got home i immediately went and finished up her entire collection and have yet to find an album that i don't like. i have yet to listen to Stories and reading this post gets me excited to put it on for my trip to work. if what i have listened to is not as good as what is on Stories, than i really hope i am in for a treat.

what song is really blowing me away right now is Joy from Is This Desire. i love the sound of her voice over the NIN type of electronic music.

can anyone suggest another female vocalist that is anything like PJ Harvey? please don't say Tori Amos cause she makes me want to gag.
  • Options
    lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
    lephty wrote:
    can anyone suggest another female vocalist that is anything like PJ Harvey? please don't say Tori Amos cause she makes me want to gag.

Cristina Scabbia
    Lucia Cifarelli
    Patti Smith
    Karen O
    Fionna Apple

I dunno...no one really sounds like PJ Harvey, but these are female vocalists who DON'T sound like Tori Amos.
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    The only one I'd avoid is Uh Huh Huh. You're probably best to work your way chronologically through her albums starting with Dry, be sure to track down 4-Track Demos too.
  • Options
    Puck78Puck78 Posts: 737
    They are very different one from each other, as albums, so it's impossible to say which one is better... I love them all... Sadly I've recently read an interview in which she was saying that she agrees with fox hunting... asshole...
    www.amnesty.org
    www.amnesty.org.uk
  • Options
    Rub til it bleeds is an awesome song. Sometimes she is too out there but i like most of it
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    hodge wrote:
    for some reason i used to not dig female vocalists

but i just recently 'discovered' pj harvey and cat power, and i dig both...quite a lot
    Cat Power is just amazing.

Anyway, my favourite albums by Polly are Rid of Her and To Bring You My Love.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    The cool thing about music is that you listen to someone you've ignored for 25 years, find out the music is great, and you've now got 25 years of music to catch-up on.

THe only bummer is you miss out on 25 years of tours.

I really dig Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea right now.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,066
    Heard Dress on the radio a bit ago and I forgot how GREAT that song was!!!
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    edited August 2015
    Had completely forgotten about her, thanks for the reminder. To bring you my love is my favourite. Will start listening to her again
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    bluegrace said:

Had completely forgotten about her, thanks for the reminder. To bring you my love is my favourite. Will start listening to her again

It is awesome and sad in a way that there is so much great music out there that there is not enough time to hear everything or give it the proper time it needs to fully absorb it all.

• Options
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"