TV ON THE RADIO - return to cookie mountain

glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
edited February 2007 in Other Music
this is an awesome album.
stellar lyrics, mindblowing vocals (blues from down here, playhouses) and some of the best/most original drumming i've heard in a very long time. and as an added bonus the album art is magnificent. i cant remember when was the last time a band impresses me as much.

i'll recommend anybody looking for some new music to give these guys a listen.
Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    glasshouse wrote:
    i cant remember when was the last time a band impresses me as much.
    quote]

It was last week with The Arcade Fire's Funeral.:):D

I got to agree although again I've got to say I prefer the debut Desperate Youth, Blood Thirst Babes.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Excellently moody album. Once I'd gotten it, I was sorry that I wasn't really paying much attention when I saw them open for NIN this summer. So, to make up for it, we're seeing them at the Troc in April. It'll be up close and personal there, and I'm really looking forward to it.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    I really like Return to Cookie Mountain, it was my favorite album of last year. Then I picked up Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes and I quickly came to like that one even better than Cookie Mountain.
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    Blek. I tried to like "Wolf Like Me" but to no sucess. I'm not feeling these guys.
  • This is a good album. But no where near as good as Menomena's album 'Friend and Foe'. Both are relatively similar in sound. You should check 'em out.
    Cock Fight.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Tek Money wrote:
    This is a good album. But no where near as good as Menomena's album 'Friend and Foe'. Both are relatively similar in sound. You should check 'em out.

I was going to PM you about this album - BUT i'll spread the word here. THANKS!!!!! the Menomena album is incredible.....great find. Love the vibe and instrumentation on the album.....it kinda sounds like a nice blend of the Shins and TV on the Radio with a little bit of Morphine thrown in (probably just the sax)

Check these guys out!!!!!!!

Edit: LOVE the TV on the Radio album. I'll definitely be looking into Desperate Youth.....
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • I'm seriously obsessed with it bad... and I keep thinking people will love it as much as I do. Which in most times is not the case.
    Cock Fight.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i love return to cookie mountain. the first album is good too, but sounds pretty similar so it didnt blow me away like cookie mountain did. im going to see them live soon and i am very excited.
  • glasshouse wrote:
    stellar lyrics, mindblowing vocals (blues from down here, playhouses) and some of the best/most original drumming i've heard in a very long time. and as an added bonus the album art is magnificent. i cant remember when was the last time a band impresses me as much.

i took the time to listen to this before all the critical acclaim...wasn't impressed...then, i took the time to listen during the critical acclaim...wasn't impressed...then, i took the time to listen, again, after the album dropped and sold...still not impressed.

the only thing that did impress me was the letterman performance of wolf like me. that was something to watch. it makes me believe that i would like to see them live. but, the album, no.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • Was in my top 10 of the year..

Can't wait for March 1st in Providence to see it all LIVE!
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Alex_Coe wrote:
    Blek. I tried to like "Wolf Like Me" but to no sucess. I'm not feeling these guys.
    Maybe you should try some of their other songs, none of their other songs sound anything like "Wolf Like Me"
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Did anyone see The Village Voice "Pazz and Jop" poll? Dylan beat out TV for album of the year. Still, it's a nice acknowledgement
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • CM1847 wrote:
    I really like Return to Cookie Mountain, it was my favorite album of last year. Then I picked up Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes and I quickly came to like that one even better than Cookie Mountain.

same. i've had desperate youth since it came out, and i think cookie was kind of a letdown.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    glasshouse wrote:

To appreciate fully, one must listen to TV On The Radio with headphones ON.

Cookie Mountain is the Headphone Album Of The Year.

Do they have a Grammy category for that? They should. Seriously.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • dharma69 wrote:
    To appreciate fully, one must listen to TV On The Radio with headphones ON.

Good point. Both Cookie Mountain and Blood Thirsty sound much better on headphones than they do in my car stereo.
  • Penny453Penny453 Posts: 200
    I shower to this album everyday. I love it.
    "And even when I'm right with you I'm so far away"
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    blues from down here is the bollocks
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • one of the most original and innovative bands ever. just amazing
    die on a hilltop.. eyeing the crows,
    waiting for your lids to close..
    but you want to watch as they peck your flesh..
    Ironic that they go for the eyes first
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    THIS would have been my pick for a Grammy over Stadium Arcadium, but what do I know? I'm just a guy who likes it real.