soundgarden superunknown revisited

glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
edited February 2007 in Other Music
this album is awesome, it rocks harder that almost anything
what a band what an album
essential rock and roll
Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Agreed - incredibly inspired stuff. I was listening to the song Superunknown the other day, despite having heard that song hundreds of times I was still blown away by the sheer power of the music, Cornell's voice is obscenely good on that album.
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    best album of the 90's
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    I just recently revisited this album again as well.

I don't really care for the last 4 songs. They're OK, but everything else (except for maybe Head Down) is superb. I love Kim's solo on the title track, and Limo Wreck RULES.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • zircona1 wrote:

I don't really care for the last 4 songs. They're OK, but everything else (except for maybe Head Down) is superb. I love Kim's solo on the title track, and Limo Wreck RULES.

Um, other then Half every song on superunknown is fucking awesome.
    4-30-03
    7-06-03
    7-11-03
    9-28-04
    9-29-04
    5-13-06
    6-03-06
    6-27-08
  • pazmanpazman Posts: 197
    Um, other then Half every song on superunknown is fucking awesome.

Agreed.
    I had it all once I gave it back
  • tbone1tbone1 Posts: 21
    I agree. SG was one of the most creative rock bands of the time.
    Only real stars can rock an arena while sitting down with a notebook and a bottle of wine.
  • I love Half.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    I love Half.

Me too, great song, even better live

Superunknown is a perfect album, from start to finish, every single song is great.
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    BY FAR the best SG album... I used to think DotU was better because I listened to it more, but once I started listening to Superunknown more and more, I realized the masterpiece that it really is. The only song that grew old pretty quickly is My Wave... I always seem to skip it, but it's by no means a bad song. It just feels like it would be better on Badmotorfinger.

Brilliant album, and one of my all-time favorites.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Superunknown is a great album but Down on the upside is my favourite SG album.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Personally, I prefer Badmotorfinger, but it may have to do with how much of an impact it had on me at the time and my strong associations with ten and Nevermind tied to that record.
    Superunknown, was also excellent, but in many ways marked the beggining of the end and the extreme popularization of something we felt we were in on from the ground floor.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    zircona1 wrote:

how the hell can you not like Fresh Tendrils, 4th of July and Like Suicide? they are by far the best songs on the album. especially 4th of july. chris' best ever lyrics
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Like suicide is one of my favs on that album.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    this was the first 'rock' album i really listened to. i still remember buying the tape and making my mom listen to it in the car on a 3 hour car ride. despite overkill on the radio of 4 songs or so, this record still hits me every time i listen to it. one of the best of the decade, without question.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    "Like Suicide", "4th of July", "Limo Wreck", "Let Me Drown", "Head Down" etc all rule. only one i don't like is "Fresh Tedrils" never got into that one.

bought it the day it came out by the way. still gets spins today.
  • Brainofdz wrote:
    Personally, I prefer Badmotorfinger, but it may have to do with how much of an impact it had on me at the time and my strong associations with ten and Nevermind tied to that record.
    Superunknown, was also excellent, but in many ways marked the beggining of the end and the extreme popularization of something we felt we were in on from the ground floor.

Ditto. I like Kim better on Badmotorfinger, personally.
  • Ditto. I like Kim better on Badmotorfinger, personally.

I love the primal energy to Badmotorfinger, but some of Kim's solos on Superunknown are AMAZING - like suicide, need I say any more?
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    amazing creative genius from everyone in the band on that album.. one of my favourite albums of all time
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • I love the primal energy to Badmotorfinger, but some of Kim's solos on Superunknown are AMAZING - like suicide, need I say any more?

Like Suicide is seven minutes of perfection.
    "Like Suicide", "4th of July", "Limo Wreck", "Let Me Drown", "Head Down" etc all rule. only one i don't like is "Fresh Tedrils" never got into that one.

bought it the day it came out by the way. still gets spins today.

I always loved the guitar in that song and "Half"... for songs that are maybe overshadowed by the rest of the album
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Brainofdz wrote:
    Personally, I prefer Badmotorfinger...

I can respect people's opinion on this, but I just can't understand how people would take Badmotorfinger over Superunknown... BMF is great because it's loud and aggressive, but Superunknown takes that and sculpts it into it's full potential... intelligent, interesting, more musical, fantastically-paced music that still retains the aggressive sound of earlier SG.

Superunknown is just perfect.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    DOSW wrote:
    I can respect people's opinion on this, but I just can't understand how people would take Badmotorfinger over Superunknown... BMF is great because it's loud and aggressive, but Superunknown takes that and sculpts it into it's full potential... intelligent, interesting, more musical, fantastically-paced music that still retains the aggressive sound of earlier SG.

Badmotorfinger is a creative genius of its own.. yes its loud and aggressive but I think its another creative masterpiece. I consider Superunknown a more evolved BMF.. but I still would find it hard choosing which one to take on that island..
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • I could listen to My Wave and Superunknown all day-Kim and Matt made this band-specifically they gave it the attitude and trademark beat. And how amazing is the Fell on Black days video. Till this day have still never seen anyone sing like that.
  • DOSW wrote:

I don't find Superunknown to be that aggressive, at least compared to their previous works. Its easier to see the intelligence throughout the album because its right on top of the surface as the music itself is toned down and more restrained compared to Badmotorfinger. Badmotorfinger has its own persona, its own "badmotherfucker" attitude on the surface, but at the bottom its just as intelligent, diverse, and interesting as Superunknown. Both are masterpieces in my eyes, but I'll always give the edge to Badmotorfinger.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Just chiming in to show some love for Michael Beinhorn. He's one of my musical heroes, and is responsible for more than a couple of the records that have had a huge impact on me in my life.
  • MohabMohab Posts: 310
    I think its one of the best albums ever. I don't know how they did it actually, every song is amazing and then some. Head down, mailman, 4th and fresh tendrils, even drown me are classics. The 'ceiling starts to shake' part on drown me is one of the finest moments.

Ultramega ok is my personal favourite though.
  • Superunknown is one of those albums you listen to from start to finish and enjoy every song while doing so. The only other two I would put above this album would be Ten and Dirt.

Dirt, depending on what kind of mood you were in...

I mean my god, Fell on Black Days is a phenomenal song, The Day I Tried to Live is totally awesome, and Fresh Tendrils is absolute greatness... what more can ya ask for? We're not even talking 'bout My Wave, Mailman, Superunknown, BHS, Spoonman, Limo Wreck, and Half (an overrated song, IMO).

That's seven OTHER songs. It's one of those complete albums...
  • "Alive in the superunknown / First it steals your mind / And then it steals your soul"

Essential.
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
    It really is a shame there aren't albums like it anymore.. there are really good albums coming out now but nothing that comes even close to the when I first got into Superunknown.. I can still talk about its greatness because of the fond memories I have with it but honestly I find it hard to listen to anymore because of how many times I've heard it..

With PJ you get live shows where they can still rock out classics.. so I never seem to tire of PJ
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Superunknown reminds me that some hard rock albums can be timeless. I don't really listen to much heavy stuff these days but I could pop this one in the cd player any day. I'd say one of the top 20 albums of the 90's, and the best Soundgarden album.