return to cookie mountain - TV on the radio

glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
edited January 2007 in Other Music
anybody own this album?
apparently it is suppose to be a masterpiece
i've read critics comparing it to the likes of ok computer in terms of being revolutionary etc

any comments?
Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• its good, but i think their other album "dirty youth, blood thirsty babes" is better.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    It is awesome. not sure i'll call it good like ok computer, but it is one of my favorites of last year. Wolf like Me was one of the best songs i heard last year also.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • mwachsmanmwachsman Posts: 474
    I think it's pretty good.
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • larslars Posts: 524
    It´s pretty good....not a masterpiece. The performance of wolf like me on the letterman show was better than that of the cd. Don´t get your expectations too high
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    well, I don't know about revolutionary, I agree with most here, it is great however don't get your hopes up. I just burned their releases for a co-worker who really heard great things as well.

He liked them but wasn't sure what the hoopla is all about. No doubt they got their own thing going on.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    its good, but i think their other album "dirty youth, blood thirsty babes" is better.
    Agree with this....except that the album is "Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes" ;).

But both are truly stellar pieces of work...if you embrace avant garde music.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    lars wrote:
    It´s pretty good....not a masterpiece. The performance of wolf like me on the letterman show was better than that of the cd. Don´t get your expectations too high

I agree with that - the Letterman performance was intense. I also like track 1, I was a Lover. Good album. Different sound.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • I would only compare it to OK Computer in that it's very difficult to get into for the first few listens. It kind of challenges you to live with it, get to know it... only with time do the songs really start jumping out at you. It's one of those albums that's very good, but only if you have time and patience to devote to it. That's my take, anyway.
    "We've done really well with teenage death songs." -EV
  • dharma69 wrote:
    Agree with this....except that the album is "Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes" ;).

yeah, thats the one. lol...it was 5:42am and i didnt have coffee yet.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    i do love this album...though their first album will always be my fav. it took me a bit to get into this new album. it was a challenge as sickwillie said. i just think that they have such a unique sound...they're awesome :) i can't wait to see them here in april.
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    The more I listen to it the more I love it.
    Cock Fight.
  • it's big on innovation-i think that's where the ok computer comparison comes from. it's like nothing you've heard before, that's for sure.

that letterman performace was what made me buy the album - i think they created some fans with that performance.
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
    I almost forgot to ask a question....this is for those of you who actually own Cookie Mountain (hard copy, folks...not cyber copy!):

Does your CD have all of those extra empty tracks that are about 17 seconds long? My CD clocks in with 26 tracks, I believe, when there should only be 15.

Perhaps I got the mystery fuck-up copy...because it's truly bizarre!

FaceSpace
  • Peter CPeter C Posts: 237
    Thanks to all my fellow Pearl Jammers on here i decided to buy it today and i'm not disappointed!!! Thanks!!!
    But to answer dharma69 question my cd has 11 tracks on it...you must have a dodgy disk..haha
    London 1996 Cardiff 2000 Paris 2006 and London 2007.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    dharma69 wrote:
    I almost forgot to ask a question....this is for those of you who actually own Cookie Mountain (hard copy, folks...not cyber copy!):

Does your CD have all of those extra empty tracks that are about 17 seconds long? My CD clocks in with 26 tracks, I believe, when there should only be 15.

mine has them also. they didn't appear in my Windows Media player (I think) however they did show up when I went to rip it to my Mac using iTunes.

drives me bananas that bands do this.
    Peter C wrote:
    Thanks to all my fellow Pearl Jammers on here i decided to buy it today and i'm not disappointed!!! Thanks!!!
    But to answer dharma69 question my cd has 11 tracks on it...you must have a dodgy disk..haha
    Well done, Peter...glad you like!

My CD has 2 extra tracks and a re-mix of "Hours" (so 14 tracks total)...along with those ridiculous empty tracks. Just like you, transplant, they showed up on Itunes and on my standard CD player but not on Real Player.

FaceSpace
  • dharma69 wrote:

no - mine is like that too. it's rather annoying. i don't really get it.
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • i have it - it's not a masterpiece, in my opinion...it's not even that great in my opinion...it seems muddled - a good thought that will be great when they realize it. but, not yet.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    My favorite album of last year, but Desperate Youth.... is my favorite of their two.

If you are really intersted, look into their Young Liars EP, it has a very cool a cappella cover of Pixies' "Mr. Grieves" which is as interesting as it sounds.
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    the 1st track makes me feel a little funny on the inside...

oh and that elephant sound/sample is badass. dude.
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    Just bought this CD today.

After listening to it on my way home I bought tickets for their Philly show in April!
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Desperate Youth.... is so much better, Cookie Mountain is good though.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Desperate Youth.... is so much better, Cookie Mountain is good though.

maybe i havent listened to the first one enough yet, but i cant really tell the difference between their albums. they both sound pretty similar.

anyway, i have return to cookie mountain and love it. im going to see them live in march. im stoked.