mercury rev (boces)

glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
edited February 2007 in Other Music
any fans? i've read a couple of reviews on them especially their acclaimed album 'boces'.
i got the album, but it isn't easy listening to say the least. actually weird as hell. i'm listening to it now. can't really say how i feel about it.
Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I got that album a few years back. Couldn't get into it at all. The only song I really like of theirs is Goddess on a highway.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    I own Boces, Deserter's Songs, All Is Dream and The Secret Migration....Boces is by FAR my least favorite of the bunch, IMO the rest are all INCREDIBLE albums. They have become one of my favourite bands (top 25 material)......I saw them live a few years back (I went to see Sparklehorse - who were opening for them) and I was really impressed by their live show. Jonathon's voice takes a little getting used to and their music is a little melodramatic/theatrical (lots of songs about unicorns and space ships) BUT they are totally worth checking out. GREAT band!!!!!
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Boces is my favourite. The band went a bit middle of the road and boring for me after David Baker left, a bit like Pink Floyd, post-Barrett.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Boces is my favourite. The band went a bit middle of the road and boring for me after David Baker left, a bit like Pink Floyd, post-Barrett.

maybe I need to give Boces another chance....I got it years ago - my tastes have changed alot since then - and I havent bothered to go back and revisit the album

.....i agree that there new stuff is a little light and fluffy (middle of the road), but its still really impressive and fairly experimental.

if anyone want to check out some of their tunes I recommend

Deserter's Songs: Opus 40, Goddess On A Hiway
    All Is Dream: The Dark Is Rising (my fav MR song), Little Rhymes
    The Secret Migration: Vermillion (my 2nd fav MR song)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Boces was a cool album. However, you should check out their first album, Yerself is Steam. It's a true classic. If you want a sample download Frittering, Chasing a Bee, Sleepy River, or Car Wash Hair. I'm talking about a 90's psychedelic classic. Their use of the theramine is second to none.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Brainofdz wrote:
    Boces was a cool album. However, you should check out their first album, Yerself is Steam. It's a true classic. If you want a sample download Frittering, Chasing a Bee, Sleepy River, or Car Wash Hair. I'm talking about a 90's psychedelic classic. Their use of the theramine is second to none.

I saw them live, around the time that Yerself is Steam was making a big noise in the music press. They even shared the bill with PJ, the first time PJ played Finsbury Park.

Do they still record their albums on 35mm film?