rolling stone: nirvana vs radiohead (check it out)

glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
edited February 2007 in Other Music
Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    A battle of the two most overrated bands in history? Interesting...
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    glasshouse wrote:

Radiohead wins by a country mile.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    audiodave wrote:
    A battle of the two most ** important/influential/incredible ** bands in history? Interesting...

I agree completely ;)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    nirvana's nevermind managed to be percieved as an aggressive, high-fashioned , "fuck you" album by the majority of the angst ridden teenage society of the early 90's.it was exactly what they were looking for - finally they could use music as a tool/instrument to voice their feelings and what not. for this, nirvana should be applauded. maybe the quality of the music played a small part as well.

When it comes to Radiohead's ok computer the spectrum of the album's importance changes drastically as compared to with nevermind. the brilliance of ok computer isn't restricted by the genre the music represents, as is definately the case with nevermind. ok computer is a boundless work of art that seemlessly integrates art-rock with electronica and to a lesser degree prog-rock, while staying mindblowingly melodic and accessible to almost anybody who cares to listen. Nirvana killed the guitar solo and hair bands, Radiohead shattered the boundary of mainstrem rock music.

ok computer - without <br/>blinking

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Dont really see the point in a 'vs' between these two bands as they're completely different.
  • Two totally different albums and bands. It's stupid to compare the two.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i wish it was a poll. that would be interesting. i dont care to read 300 pages worth of crap though.

that's a tough call. i think ok computer is probably a better album, but i think i like nevermind more. i know i like nirvana more than radiohead.
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Easily 2 of the best 5 bands of the 90's, Being as they are completely different, I never felt the need to compare them.

I'd rather compare Nirvana to Pea.......nah forget it, I don't have the energy to go there
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
    Brainofdz wrote:

I'd rather compare Nirvana to Pea.......nah forget it, I don't have the energy to go there

yeah, and pearl jam will kick their ass every time

glasshouse wrote:
    yeah, and pearl jam will kick their ass every time

People living in glasshouses' shouln't throw stones
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

Brainofdz wrote:
    People living in glasshouses' shouln't throw stones

haha - my glass is pretty solid
    i'll throw that stone again "kick their as everytime"
    its not even open for debate here in my house of solid glass

Honestly, I love both bands so much, I wouldn't want to say anything bad about either.
    As far as % of hisorical songs, I have to give the edge to Nirvana
    As far as overall # of great songs, Pearl Jam gets the nod.

I realize I may give Nirvana an elevated status because of circumstance;
    However, lets just say they're both better than TI, or The Fray

We have bigger fish to fry.

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    how can you compare a band who have continued to evolve over the years against a band whose chief talent killed himself and his band before they really had a chance to fulfill the expectation and promise.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    how can you compare a band who have continued to evolve over the years against a band whose chief talent killed himself and his band before they really had a chance to fulfill the expectation and promise.

Uncertainty is the biggest benefit of the doubt we could ever hope for. Nirvana was the best. In my head they still could be today.
    They have acheived a "mythical" status that Pearl Jam could never achieve because they still exist.
    I'm not saying it's fair or accurate, but that's my perception.

Brainofdz wrote:
    Uncertainty is the biggest benefit of the doubt we could ever hope for. Nirvana was the best. In my head they still could be today.
    They have acheived a "mythical" status that Pearl Jam could never achieve because they still exist.
    I'm not saying it's fair or accurate, but that's my perception.

of course it's fair and accurate. you need distance with myth and with nirvana that's what we have. we can speculate all we want. it won't change a thing.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    of course it's fair and accurate. you need distance with myth and with nirvana that's what we have. we can speculate all we want. it won't change a thing.

For whatever reason, if Kurt and Eddie were choosing teams, I would want to be with Kurt. (read into that how you will)

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Is this a joke?

Ok Computer :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • this is like picking chicken wings or pizza...

they are so different, that its hard to compare. but radiohead is the best band ever to me, so gotta give them the nod. nirvana is a close 2nd.
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    glasshouse wrote:
    nirvana's nevermind managed to be percieved as an aggressive, high-fashioned , "fuck you" album by the majority of the angst ridden teenage society of the early 90's.it was exactly what they were looking for - finally they could use music as a tool/instrument to voice their feelings and what not. for this, nirvana should be applauded. maybe the quality of the music played a small part as well.

When it comes to Radiohead's ok computer the spectrum of the album's importance changes drastically as compared to with nevermind. the brilliance of ok computer isn't restricted by the genre the music represents, as is definately the case with nevermind. ok computer is a boundless work of art that seemlessly integrates art-rock with electronica and to a lesser degree prog-rock, while staying mindblowingly melodic and accessible to almost anybody who cares to listen. Nirvana killed the guitar solo and hair bands, Radiohead shattered the boundary of mainstrem rock music.

ok computer - without <br/>blinking

Very good read. I tend to agree with a lot of what you said here.

However, I will still take In Utero
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    Brainofdz wrote:
    However, lets just say they're both better than TI, or The Fray

What you know about that?
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Are you kidding?

Hands down Nirvana.
  • PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    nobody can compare these two bands. Why would you even want to attempt such a thing? Both were/are phenomenal. Fantastic, original and highly influential music. Kurt Cobain and Thom York deserve f*cking everything plaudit they've ever received.

Easily the two best/most important bands of the past twenty years in my opinion. Yes, I include the likes of Pearl Jam, Pavement, Pumpkins etc in that...

Kurt single handedly got me in to punk and in to alternative music. I will never forget that. And Radiohead are by a country mile my favourite current band.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    wtf

Nirvana are the most overrated lame o's in the world. Their music is boring. I dont know why made it so big... why is it on april 5th everyone is like "Oh Kurt" and not "Oh Layne".... pretty much every other "grunge" band is better than Nirvana

Not to mention that Kurt hated Pearl Jam and accused them of being a "corporate alternative cock-rock fusion". Kurt also was a hypocrite becuase he was all for the punk thing but then continously complained about money. This includes him whining about Pearl Jam choosing a big record label. Kurt also said that Pearl Jam just jumped on the bandwagon :s

And Dave Grohl isn't the best drummer ever.. dont know what the fuck you're on if you think that. I could name a billion drummers better than him.

but back to the point of the thread. Radiohead ;p

Just my 2 cents
    I BrisK I wrote:
    And Dave Grohl isn't the best drummer ever.. dont know what the fuck you're on if you think that. I could name a billion drummers better than him.

okay go. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • U-RU-R Posts: 223
    the music media is really clutching at straws these days... why the hell would they feel the need to rate one album against another, and why would they chose nevermind and ok computer? they are albums by different bands at different times appealing to (mainly) a different audience... typical rolling stone rubbish, i never saw the appeal in rs
    if you love somebody, set them free. if somebody loves you, don't fuck up
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Not to mention that Kurt hated Pearl Jam and accused them of being a "corporate alternative cock-rock fusion".

Pearl Jam is a "coporate alternative cock-rock fusion". I like both bands BUT Kurt hit the nail on the head with this one - there is no denying that Pearl Jam occasionally makes wanky classic rock (ie. Dissident, In Hiding, LBC, Come Back....) wank wank wank ;)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    Nirvana
    Very good read. I tend to agree with a lot of what you said here.

However, I will still take In Utero

i listened to that album this morning... it is soooo good.
    Todd76 wrote:
    Pearl Jam is a "coporate alternative cock-rock fusion". I like both bands BUT Kurt hit the nail on the head with this one - there is no denying that Pearl Jam occasionally makes wanky classic rock (ie. Dissident, In Hiding, Come Back....) wank wank wank ;)

you say tht like it's a bad thing?
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Nirvana are the most overrated lame o's in the world. Their music is boring. I dont know why made it so big... why is it on april 5th everyone is like "Oh Kurt" and not "Oh Layne".... pretty much every other "grunge" band is better than Nirvana

i wouldnt go so far as to say any grunge band was better. nirvana is over-rated, but they're still good. however, i wanted to point out that your kurt/layne observation is why i hated sublime for years... why "oh brad" yet no one gave a fuck when shannon hoon died.
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Not to mention that Kurt hated Pearl Jam and accused them of being a "corporate alternative cock-rock fusion". Kurt also was a hypocrite becuase he was all for the punk thing but then continously complained about money. This includes him whining about Pearl Jam choosing a big record label. Kurt also said that Pearl Jam just jumped on the bandwagon :s

i always thought it funny that kurt accused pearl jam of doing this while at the same time doing 2 separate mtv live shows, countless videos (after pearl jam had stopped), interviews with any magazine that asked, etc etc...