i got the BEST of Charles Mingus today

glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
edited December 2007 in Other Music
and it'll take me a while, if at all
Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i also got:

velevet underground - best of
    the stooges - self titled

so whether i warm up to charles or not, i'll be covered
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Cannot go wrong with Mingus. However highly rated he is, he is always in Miles and Coltrane's shadows... which sucks because Mingus Ah Um and The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady are two of the best jazz albums ever, certainly better than all of Miles' albums besides Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew. I guess Miles and Coltrane just had better entire careers.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • I've about forty Mingus albums, live and studio, all on vinyl. I love his work, particularly his stuff with Byard, Richmond and Dolphy.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I've about forty Mingus albums, live and studio, all on vinyl. I love his work, particularly his stuff with Byard, Richmond and Dolphy.
    ohhhhh Dolphy... How I love thee. He's my msn messenger display picture right now :)

seriously, Out to Lunch, it's not an album, it's an act of God... and I'm an atheist :D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • "The Black Saint and The Sinner Lady" is my personal favorite jazz album. "In A Silent Way" by Miles Davis is another great album that I'd highly recommend.