really enjoying **Magic** : Bruce Springsteen

glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
edited March 2008 in Other Music
my first Springsteen album (fucking rediculous i know)

i love it.
Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    Totally agree.

My wife wanted to go see him play here in Cardiff in June so after we'd booked tickets I went out and bought that record and I'm really surprised by how much I like it. It's been on my Creative a lot since.
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Really good album, the first three tracks are killer. Overall not his best though... I'm more of a 70's Springsteen guy myself.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    If Magic is your starting point it only gets better..... :)
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    If Magic is your starting point it only gets better..... :)

lmao!

though i don't know if i'd call human touch "better" than magic... ;)
    augustwest wrote:
    lmao!

though i don't know if i'd call human touch "better" than magic... ;)

lol good point..... :D
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    mentioned this before somewhere, but 'girls in their summer clothes' is timeless.
    I love to turn you on
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    mentioned this before somewhere, but 'girls in their summer clothes' is timeless.

I don't know, I've never really been a huge fan of that song. It's not nearly as energetic, exciting, and sexy as the title implies. It's just kinda sleepy.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    DOSW wrote:
    I don't know, I've never really been a huge fan of that song. It's not nearly as energetic, exciting, and sexy as the title implies. It's just kinda sleepy.

I agree, but I'd put that down to how the album was produced which effects a lot of the songs.

A great album though.
  • I thought it was decent. I felt like I had heard alot of the same guitar riffs from Magic on previous albums. And I swear every time I hear the opening to Radio Nowhere it makes me think of the opening to 867-5309(Jenny). Not a bad album.
    Magic isnt a patch on Devils and Dust.....

I personally find Magic VERY weak lyric wise.....
  • i like radio nowhere.
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Any Boss fan named Teresa has got to love the 'I'll Work For Your Love' track. I know at least one who nearly creamed herself when she first heard it.
    I love to turn you on
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Magic sounds much better on vinyl. believe me.
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    Definitely grows on you ........I'm liking it more and more with each spin! ...the only issue I have is with the production.
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787

I agree. But, in a sign of the apocalypse, it has been getting heavy rotation on CMT or GMT, or whatever the hell the country music station is.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    the devils arcade build is the best....

the beat of yer heart.....
    the beat of yer hear....

his delivery of the lyrics in that song are cool too, like he has an accent.

love that. i hope he plays that song in vancouver march 31stbaby!!
    ive listened to this album a lot and its great. i will agree with the production issues.....
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • the devils arcade build is the best....

the beat of yer hear....

ive listened to this album a lot and its great. i will agree with the production issues.....

Love that part so much as well. I love how he changes on of the beat of your heart lines to the beat of her heart. Like the album title says it's magic.
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    the devils arcade build is the best....

the beat of yer hear....

devils arcade is in the setlist for every magic tour show.

these songs off magic translate so much better live then on the CD or Vinyl.

you guys should also stop by the uncle bruce springsteen thread, we often list and chat about each shows setlist.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life