Sonic Youth: [DAYDREAM NATION] discussion

glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
edited March 2008 in Other Music
1. guitar "feel" on this album is phenomenal for greater part of the album.

2. tracks 1 - 4 (teenage riot, silver rocket, the sprawl, cross the breeze) are almost perfect (except for the horrendous vocals (track 3 and 4)). tracks 5 - 11 fail to impress (weak songs, weaker vocal performances). some interesting guitar work is the only saving grace. the 3 piece medley ending the album ups the standard again.)

3.my verdict: love the guitar sound on the album, that's about it really.
i like it, but i don't love it, not close.

your views?
Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Some of my thoughts:

- this album is easily top 5 all time IMO, definitely my favorite Sonic Youth album.....amazing from top to bottom

- it doesnt get much/any better than Teenage Riot

- Steve's drumming on Silver Rocket is mindblowing

- I think Kim's vocals on tracks 3 & 4 are great.....not saying she is a good vocalist (technically) but I love how she sings

- Eric's Trip is an incredible tune.....and it inspired the name of another one of my favorite bands (Eric's Trip were a criminally underappreciated band from Canada's east coast......their album Love Tara should be required listening for any music fan)

- any fan of this album NEEDS to pick up the recently released Deluxe edition (double disc - second disc features every song performed live + a few covers.....one of which is the Beatles "Within You Without You" - it is AMAZING)

- It's a natural fact that i'm not no cow - genius (?)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!