sonic youth: honest opinion

glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
edited June 2007 in Other Music
(for interest sake)
ok, everybody who are anybody who are into their music know that sonic youth are major critic favorites/darlings and whatnot.

are there anybody on this board who's brave enough to admit that they believe sonic youth to be way overrated and praised?
Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I love me a bit of SY, some of their stuff is hard to get into especially some of the earlier stuff, Confusion is Sex album for instance, but most of the time it is cool.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    most of the stuff ive heard is sonic
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
    They're just not for everyone to like. I guarantee you if they had a huge hit song and went 10x platinum, the critics would not be so warm and friendly to them.
  • I found them to be a monumental snore when i saw them open for the flaming lips in september. so yeah, I don't think they live up to all the hype either.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    A lot of my friensd don't get them. They say they are just noise.

I think my friends are full of shit they have like 20 years worth of music some of it filled with noise some very melodic.

I don't think they are overated at all they are an awesome band. Rather Ripped was a very safe record though.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,845
    some of its great
    some of it is noisy and unlistenable imho
    same thing live - a few great moments and a lot of noise

I guess its that they have been around so long and made so much music
  • vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,091
    I cannot stand Sonic Youth. I'd rather hear nails on a chalkboard for hours than listen to one of their songs.
    We’ll meet again, but not yet…not yet. 
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    i remember liking some single they released back in the 90's... was excited when i saw they were opening for a PJ show i went to... was very disappointed =(
  • SY rules in my not so humble opinion. always have and always will.
    though they are obviously not many peoples cup of tea.

just like a lot of other great bands that were too far ahead of their time.
    (meat puppets, black flag, squirrel bait, dead kennedys, husker du and X, to name a few)
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I don't think it's brave to admit something that isn't true. SY are hugely innovative and influential. Sister is an amazing album.

That said, I do have to be in the right mood to listen to them.
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    They are way overrated within the music community....and they are rightly ridiculed by the general public.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    glasshouse wrote:
    (for interest sake)
    ok, everybody who are anybody who are into their music know that sonic youth are major critic favorites/darlings and whatnot.

are there anybody on this board who's brave enough to admit that they believe sonic youth to be way overrated and praised?

Sonic Youth is an amazing band. definitely one of my top 10 favs of all time. so i can't say i think they are overrated. i do understand why some people don't like them though, their sound isn't exactley for everyone. but if you really give them a chance, pay attention to their guitar work and zone in on the music there is no denying their musicianship whether you like their sound or not. anyway for anyone who doesn't like them but hasn't given them that much of a chance, go listen to daydream nation start to finish about 5 times, you may find yourself unexpectedley impressed.
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    it was a surreal moment at San Fran III this past year, seeing PJ for the first time, and seeing Sonic Youth open. It was like some kind of cult ritual, with the backbround psychedelics.

They were fantastic.

That said, it was so bizaare hearing people boo Sonic Youth during their set and yell "pearl jam"!

I mean, without Sonic Youth there wouldnt have been a grunge movement.
  • I've never liked them but I respect them for what they do. Very talented.
  • RWRW Posts: 97
    I'll preface this by saying I've only seen them live once. They were on a bill with Social Distortion and Neil Young. Social D kicked ass, then Sonic Youth came out and they were terrible. People were yelling for them to get off the stage, bring back Social D, etc. Halfway through their last song Thurston took off his guitar, dropped it on the stage and walked off. The rest of the band looked around like WTF? but kept playing. Then they quickly left the stage. I've never been able to listen to them since. So, based on that, yes I think they're overrated.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i love them for the most part. besides the on and on distortion.. good song writing and ballads, you just have to listen..
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • greenmindgreenmind Posts: 34
    hendrix78 wrote:
    I don't think it's brave to admit something that isn't true. SY are hugely innovative and influential. Sister is an amazing album.

That said, I do have to be in the right mood to listen to them.

exactly...

how about someone be brave enough to say they don't personally like them but that maybe they aren't overrated???

anyway, i think its also really fashionable for critics to be reactionary and slag them off... or more commonly just ignore them completely.
    take a teenage riot to get me outta bed right now...
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    I didn't like them at first, but I gave their stuff a listen and I enjoyed it. I do agree that some of their stuff is noisy and hard to listen to, though. I got to see them with the Flaming Lips last year and they put on a good show.

By the way - the Deluxe Edition of Daydream Nation is out today! :)
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    I've respected them for 15 years now and done my best on several occasions to get in to them.

I was amazed when I saw them live how Lee and Thurston played pretty much the same guitar lines the entire set. It was pretty upsetting and dull
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    They are the one band I could see them open for PJ over and over again. I always enjoy seeing them play.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I mean, without Sonic Youth there wouldnt have been a grunge movement.

you believe sonic youth were the definitive influence for 'grunge'? the only influence?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Sonic youth has some pretty good stuff, and they have some really obscure aquired taste kind of stuff. I like some of their stuff, and some of it I don't. Murray street is probably my favorite, and I liked "sunday" from a thousand leaves, and the "diamond sea" from washing machine. I thought the rest of Washing machine really was not that good. I really need to listen to them some more cause I think they will grow on me. I do like Thurston Moore's voice alot more on vocals, but I love the song "Bull in the heather" that Kim Gordon sings. Well, as you can see my experience with SY is pretty scattered, but I respect them, and I hope they will grow on me.
    In terms of Grunge inflence, I certainly do think that many grunge era artist have great respect and admiration for Sonic youth. We know pj does, and I'm pretty sure Nirvana did too. I think Nirvana opened for SY back when they were getting started, I could be wrong though. I have yet to see them live, but I'm wondering if a live sonic youth show will fuel my interest for the band. It's amazing how many times that's happened to me after seeing a band live.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • From what I've hear, I couldnt stand. Much like MMJ.
  • shell bellshell bell Posts: 337
    I like them :A Thousand Leaves
    Washing Machine
    Daydream Nation
    Murray Street

Those are the three that I love.As for overated,hmmmm yes and no. I think that there are other bands that are more overated than Sonic Youth.
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • PearlerPearler Posts: 191
    Nickleback is better than Sonic Youth.
  • thurston moore is a little pretentious but in a way cool way. sonic youth is one of the top 5 most important bands of the 80s.

....oh, and i fucking love them.
  • RWRW Posts: 97
    that's awesome that you saw the ragged glory tour. i would have loved to have seen that tour, 3 of my all time faves on one bill.

funny, i've seen neil do the same thing that thurston did. and if you haven't listened to them since 1991 do you really have an informed opinon?

I maded it very clear what my opinion was based on. May be you missed that, I only said it twice. Do you even have an opinion on the subject or are you just going to take shots at people who do?
  • most songs are not awesome...not fantastic live...some great tracks
  • hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    One of the best bands in the world, easily.
    Honest, extremely innovative, melodic and dissononant at once. Great music and lyrics. Not to mention they've been creating for nearly 30 years. And they can rock extremely hard.

That's my honest opinion.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • Gossard_Is_GodGossard_Is_God Posts: 1,031
    some of its alright, but alot is crap
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D