should there be a difference between you FAVORITE albums and BEST albums?????????????

glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
edited July 2007 in Other Music
i was just wondering. i mean think about it at least, would you?

i don't have the answer. if you are dead honest with yourself your "favorite" albums should most probably be your "best" albums. or not, i just don't fucking know and it is bothering me big time!
Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    Nope. If De Stijl is my favorite album of all time, I'll consider it the best album of all time. I love my albums proportionately to how much I enjoy them.

:V
  • RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    "should" is an awfully subjective word. Overall, my favorite album of all time is YIELD, and I feel it is also the greatest album ever made.

But it works differently for me with other bands. Like, for example, I think Led Zeppelin's best album is Physical Graffiti, but my favorite album is II.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • SlowFadeSlowFade Posts: 75
    I think there should or can be a difference between favorite and best album. certain records remind me of a good time of my life, therefore making them a favorite, but I may think that overall another record is better, and will listen to it on a more consistent basis. For example, revolver is my favorite Beatles record, as I had a great summer when I bought it, but the white album, in my opinion, is the best that the Beatles have to offer. But to each their own.....
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    Sure there's a difference. My favorite Beatles album is the White Album but I think that Sgt. Pepper's is their best. contrast that to SlowFade's post above me where he/she says that the White Album is the best but not their favorite. it's all subjective
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    And band's best effort is definitely different than your favorite output from said band.

Ten is Pearl Jam's best record, but my favorite is Vs.
    Of course this ^^^ is all subjective anyway.
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    yes there can be a difference. you could argue that pet sounds is the greatest pop album of all time and i would not argue with that but it wouldn't even be in my top ten favorites. although i fucking love it. modern times was a better album than pearl jam. i've spun pearl jam 10 times as much as i've litened to modern times.
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    yes there can be a difference. you could argue that pet sounds is the greatest pop album of all time and i would not argue with that but it wouldn't even be in my top ten favorites. although i fucking love it. modern times was a better album than pearl jam. i've spun pearl jam 10 times as much as i've litened to modern times.
    Pet Sounds was a great selection for your argument here. Great example.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,138
    depends on the person

some good examples of favorite not being the best have been presented

yet, some people are either so blindly devoted to a band or album and the possibility of there being a better band or album than their favorite doesn't exist to them
  • BremertonBremerton Posts: 279
    Yes, there is a difference. Everclear's Sparkle and Fade is one of my top 10 favorite cd's. It sure as hell isn't one of the ten best albums of all time. It evokes memories and fun times from 1996 every time I listen to it. It is one of my favorites, but you can't put it alongside IV or the White Album.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I think there is a difference. People are drawn to certain albums for different reasons. For some people, an album may be their favorite because of a time in their life or experience they associate it with. I know for me personally, I'm a guitar nut, so I may love an album for the guitar work on it, while recognizing that the songwriting might not be that strong.

If I had to pick a favorite album of all time, it would probably be either Electric Ladyland by Hendrix, or Led Zeppelin II. That said, I think the songwriting is stronger on Axis:Bold As Love and Physical Graffiti.
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Bremerton wrote:
    Yes, there is a difference. Everclear's Sparkle and Fade is one of my top 10 favorite cd's. It sure as hell isn't one of the ten best albums of all time. It evokes memories and fun times from 1996 every time I listen to it. It is one of my favorites, but you can't put it alongside IV or the White Album.
    That's th epoint I was going to mke. My favorite albums are the ones I have the most emotional connections to. They bring back vivid memories of great, great times.

Every time I hear Jungleland I can't help but flashback to being 16, at the drive-in, baked out of my brains just blasting this song between movies playing frisbee with my girl. But I'd say Dark Side of the Moon is a better album, it just does't have the life memories to go with it.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • TheEvolutionTheEvolution Posts: 143
    I think if you have some kind of knowledge about how music is composed and how it is put together then it is easy to figure out which albums are better. However those albumsdon't have to be your favorites. Cause bands like Dream Theater put out better stuff than almost any band i've ever heard, but they are far far away from being my favorite. A band or album being your favorite is because the music means somthing to you and it is something you listen to over and over again. Like my Favorite albums are mostly Pearl Jam but i am not going to sit here and honestly believe that no band in the world has ever made a better album than vs, ten, vitalogy, etc... So yes i believe there is a difference. Its almost like sports, your favorite tea or player is not always gonna be the best, but you love tem as your favorite for some connection you make. hope that makes sense haha
    "Being undecided...it's dangerous. And I'll give you a perfect example: people with mullets, that's indecision."-EV

9/28/05-PNC
    5/30/06-DC
    6/23/06-Pittsburgh
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i agree with all of you
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick