bob dylan disussion: smoke him or love him

glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
edited July 2007 in Other Music
common people, we've got a lot of catching up to do. discuss now.
Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Greatest songwriter that ever lived.

By the time he was 24 he had recorded 3 albums that could conceivably be in top 10 of all time lists.

The following records are untouchable:

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
    Bringing it all back home
    Highway 65 Revisited
    Blonde on Blonde
    Blood on the tracks
    Time Out of Mind
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

By the time he was 24 he had recorded 3 albums that could conceivably be in top 10 of all time lists.

Highway 65 Revisited
    Blonde on Blonde
    Blood on the tracks
    Time Out of Mind

i second that. discussion over.
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    glasshouse wrote:
    common people, we've got a lot of catching up to do. discuss now.

Why not start an actual conversation when you start a fresh thread??

I'd like to hear YOUR opinion first...
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Saw him a few weeks ago. Absolutley blew me away! Totally exceeded my expecations.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • in the other camp.

he's a great songwriter but i prefer his songs when other people sing them, fucker has an absolutely awful voice.
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    in the other camp.

he's a great songwriter but i prefer his songs when other people sing them, fucker has an absolutely awful voice.

Bob Dylan's the fucking man!! Yeah his voice might be bad now, but listen to him back in his prime. Dylan at the Philharmonic Hall back in 1964 singing "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall"... WOW!
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • in the other camp.

same here
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

Highway 65 Revisited
    Blonde on Blonde
    Blood on the tracks
    Time Out of Mind

couldn't have sais it better myself. do you have the 2 disk Bob Dylan DVD titled "don't look back"? priceless

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    augustwest wrote:
    Why not start an actual conversation when you start a fresh thread??

I'd like to hear YOUR opinion first...

mate, i don't like your tone. stop stepping on my toes - i'll fucking end you.

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Dylan's got some great albums and songs.

His live show is real hit or miss though. The one I saw was mediocre at best.

His Live 1975 bootleg in the bootleg series is pretty damn good though.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • daanartsdaanarts Posts: 130
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

Highway 65 Revisited
    Blonde on Blonde
    Blood on the tracks
    Time Out of Mind

Why time out of mind.. you see that album alot in these lists.. i find it lacking enough good songs to be a great album. Love sick is done 10times better on the Modern Times DVD. The other song that stands out for me is Not Dark Yet, besides that, its nothing special. imho Street Legal, and that whole era (infidels and such) is great! and ofcourse the Rolling Thunder Revue being one of the best Tours anyone has ever done.

Saw him live the last time he was in europe, twice. I loved it. Dylan is the man. there is no discussion. If you dont like his music, fine, but there is no discussion he is a lyrical god and an underrated musician.

Hail Hail Bob Dylan
    I change by not changing at all.
    you are all my people

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    daanarts wrote:
    Why time out of mind.. you see that album alot in these lists.. i find it lacking enough good songs to be a great album. Love sick is done 10times better on the Modern Times DVD. The other song that stands out for me is Not Dark Yet, besides that, its nothing special. imho Street Legal, and that whole era (infidels and such) is great! and ofcourse the Rolling Thunder Revue being one of the best Tours anyone has ever done.

Saw him live the last time he was in europe, twice. I loved it. Dylan is the man. there is no discussion. If you dont like his music, fine, but there is no discussion he is a lyrical god and an underrated musician.

Hail Hail Bob Dylan
    Time out of mind, when it was released, was his best album in 20 twenty years in my opinion. Not dark yet, Standing in the doorway, Make you feel my love, Love Sick, Tryin' to get to heaven - these are all stunning songs. I love the instrumentation on it too.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    glasshouse wrote:
    mate, i don't like your tone. stop stepping on my toes - i'll fucking end you.

Yawn

Welcome to the internet
    thanks brother

yawn (whatever)

whose alias are you anyway? are you the dumb fuck who started the "meg white sucks" thread?

won't be surprised. nope.

• muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Bob Dylan was cool until he did that duet with Akon.
    glasshouse wrote:
    thanks brother

yawn (whatever)

whose alias are you anyway? are you the dumb fuck who started the "meg white sucks" thread?

won't be surprised. nope.

Don't call me your "brother" lol

...and um no I'm not the DF who started the "Meg White sucks" thread. I've seen the WS play once, when they opened for the Rolling Stones, and I'm just not that much of a fan to know whether she sucks or doesn't!

If you have some real input on Bob I'd love to hear it...then again...
  • What the hell are you two arguing about?

Dylan,.. greatest songwriter who ever lived.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    What the hell are you two arguing about?

Dylan,.. greatest songwriter who ever lived.

at least one of the if not THE greatest american writers.. i agree
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
    augustwest wrote:

If you have some real input on Bob I'd love to hear it...then again...

hey my brother, time for me to lay of the agro juice i guess. ok, so you want me to talk some dylan? where to start? which album? (61 revisited) which song? (idiot wind).

love the guy. his music is so simplistic yet he manages to captivate millions with his humanitarian lyrical driven songs

• PearlerPearler Posts: 191
    shhhhhhiiiick clink

Boom.

clink...clinkclinkclink.