the beach boys: pet sounds - i just don't fucking get all the hype!

glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
edited July 2007 in Other Music
really i don't. sure enough, solid album, but greatest pop of the 60's? bullshit mamma
Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    It's the greatest out and out POP record of the 60s, for sure. It's by no means the best record. God Only Knows by itself is the greatest pop song ever written in my opinion and then you have Wouldn't it be nice, Sloop John B, I just wasn't made for these times etc.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • electronblueelectronblue Posts: 3,460
    imo pearl jam should definitetly add those songs at least for tags!...~

<3<3<3
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    I like Good Vibrations but aside from that im really not into the Beach Boys or Brian Wilson's solo stuff at all. Some far better bands in the 60's than them.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • I don't like em either or Brian Wilson for that matter.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,702
    I was very disappointed at the lack of woofing, meowing and tweet-tweeting.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • glasshouse wrote:
    really i don't. sure enough, solid album, but greatest pop of the 60's? bullshit mamma

Try with LSD, then weed and alcohol
    ...can´t wear my mask, your first my last...
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    The Beach Boys are great and Pet Sounds is amazing. However, I do think it is overhyped. It has become real fashionable lately for hipster morons to claim that Pet Sounds might be better than Sgt. Peppers. Its not. I don't know how that got started, and its not a bold or original thing to say anymore.

That said, Pet Sounds is awesome and it is a great addition to any music collection.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    PEt Sounds is the only great album that the beach boys produced. "smiley smile" was full of filler
  • Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    I love this album. And it all started just recently. I'd say it's on par with Sgt. Peppers.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    Dick Jones wrote:
    I love this album. And it all started just recently. I'd say it's on par with Sgt. Peppers.

Pet Sounds is great (not nearly as good as Pepper's for me) but a strike against it is that Brian Wilson didn't write the lyrics...Tony Asher did. I've always thought that was sort of lame: having a guy outside the band writing lyrics (see: Elton John). I like Sloop John B, God Only Knows, That's Not Me, and Here Today the most. It's a great album. but it doesn't paint pictures or break boundaries like Sgt. Pepper's does.

I think Brian Wilson's real masterpiece is the finished Smile album he put out in 2004. the versions of songs like Vegetables, Wind Chimes, Wonderful, Hereos and Villains, and Cabin Essence on this album put those underproduced crap versions from Smiley Smile and Wild Honey to shame. truly a must for any Pet Sounds fan to own. it's wonderful. one of the best albums I own by a mile. this could have competed with Sgt. Pepper's had Wilson been able to throw it together back in the 60's. better late than never I guess.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    that song rules

but most of the album is just too soft cock imo. not bad, just not spectacular. let me just say i'd much rather listen to velvet underground.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick