do you think i-pods will contribute to the distribution of "decent" music????

2»

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    cbbjr wrote:
    Back to the original question, I think the prevalence of digital music, not iPods, will allow everyone to listen to a greater variety of music. Hopefully better variety will lead to better music, whatever that means. You now longer have to take a big risk by throwing down $15 for a CD for a band that may be great or may be bad. Today you can find at least samples for free online and download songs at minimal cost. It is take chances on new bands now. This wasn't true that long ago.
    Digital music+satellite radio=a good thing for the consumer......yes, I believe that it means that you may no longer be stuck with 15 less dollars and an album that has one track that you find to be listenable.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    do you think i-pods will contribute to the distribution of "decent" music????

no i think most people listen to crap anyway. and i don't. haha, what an arrogant thing to say!!
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    some interesting views.

i still feel the fact that music these days are accessible through more than 2 mediums (MTV/radio) via portable/"easy-to-use" devices such as i-pods will contribute to less-commercial music being introduced to the general listening public more frequently than in the past.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I woke up this morning and turned on my computer only to find that my iTunes suddenly detected a shared library (must be a neighbor's) containing such bands as My Chemical Romance, Good Charlotte and P. Diddy. I'm not so sure about the transmital of good music! I quickly unchecked the "look for shared libraries" option and made sure my music isn't shared. I'm sure the Good Charlotte listener would love access to my Uncle Tupelo collection . . .

I love my iPod. It's easy to use, highly portable (I have a nano) and simply convenient. I'm also glad to support Apple products. Coming from a family loyal to Gateway computers, it's a big deal that I bought my first iMac a few weeks ago. I'm glad to leave Mircrosoft in the past. Maybe I'm just becoming a MAC snob (god I hope NOT), but when you use one of these things there really is a feeling that you're using a quality product.
    soclose wrote:

I love my iPod. It's easy to use, highly portable (I have a nano) and simply convenient. .

this i second. i've got a 8 gig nano - all thrills no fuss

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I used to be an avid Windows Media user. That software is far from perfect. Microsoft is FAR from perfect.

Far from perfect is being kind. I totally agree. I used WMP for while with my work (I teach fitness classes set to music) - if you buy music from itunes, if you want to put it in your Windows Media Player folders, you must BURN the music to a CD and re-rip it into WMP, and they have you using this crappy search that sometimes recognizes the song and sometimes it doesn't. Now that I have an ipod, I buy the music, make a playlist, and synch it to the Ipod. I'm very happy with it for work.

The only drawback is since I use it for personal too, there isn't a way to make a separation on the ipod for work vs. personal so I could set it to shuffle for personal only because when I'm not working I don't want to listen to the work music.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    1. yes it already has contributed to the expansion of musical tastes
    -people load up the Ipod with other music they wouldnt normally buy because they can

2. The IPOD
    yes they have some problems
    yes there are cheaper models that do pretty much the same thing
    yes the AAC format is the lowest quality digital file

but
    I dont buy downloaded music so format is not an issue
    the great customer service makes up for most of the glitches
    as far as easily putting my entire music collection in a small package, along with a computer enviornment thats easy to navigate, nothing else even comes close. Greatest invention since the CD IMHO.

If I want high fidelity, Ill turn on the home unit and actually play a CD.

Ive had my 20gb for three years and no problems at all! (Knocking on wood)
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    I have the 60 gb ipod and I am in mad love with it!! It's the greatest thing ever invented!! I can carry my entire music collection on the train everyday!!
    I am so sick of hearing how the ipod is ruining the music. It's creating the best thing ever for music. Downloading is the revolutionary act of sharing artistic expression and not doing it just for the money. If you need to make a living out of music you do it for the music not the money. Because of all the downloading it's slowly getting rid of people just doing it for the money. If you want to make a living, tour. Touring still brings in a ton of money.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
    i will grow a beard

release of IN RAINBOWS kind of fits perfectly into my original argument. All hail
    the possibilities of anti - corporate distribution of music.