recommend me some modern Bluegrass type stuff

dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
edited October 2007 in Other Music
please... i love Bluegrass, but i can never find any modern take on it... i read a great article in Word magazine about some festival they did in the Colorado mountains and it looked beautiful... but i cant remember the names of any of the performers.

so, anything spring to mind?

oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I have no idea :o

But is it one of the festivals listed on this site http://www.bluegrass.com/ ... may have the artist info ... also appears to have some podcasts (I can't look at work) ...

Apologies if above site is no use :p

Oh and hi!
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Chime wrote:
    I have no idea :o

But is it one of the festivals listed on this site http://www.bluegrass.com/ ... may have the artist info ... also appears to have some podcasts (I can't look at work) ...

Apologies if above site is no use :p

Oh and hi!

its on there!!!!

Telluride Festival in Colorado..

weird headliners though... Counting Crows blokey, Emmylou Harris and Bonnie Raitt? :confused:

anyway, thanks for that Chimicus... and hi back :);)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I reccomend Hayseed Dixie, they mainly do covers of rock and metal stuff as well as some original stuff.
    They do blugrass versions of Ace of Spades, Walk This Way, loads of AC/DC stuff and allsorts really even that Outkast song Roses, a good fun band to listen to.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    I reccomend Hayseed Dixie, they mainly do covers of rock and metal stuff as well as some original stuff.
    They do blugrass versions of Ace of Spades, Walk This Way, loads of AC/DC stuff and allsorts really even that Outkast song Roses, a good fun band to listen to.:)

yeah i've seen those guys on various TV shows and stuff.. i like them but they are a bit gimmicky.. :o good fun though :D
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Get some Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Bela is a pretty good banjo player and Vic Wooten makes about the nastiest bass noise you have ever heard.

Not a big follower of them, but have heard these 2 guys guesting on several occasions. Get Patchwork Quilt from the Lesh and Friends album "There and Back Again" or from the Deepest End for Govt Mule. Get Amazing Grace by Vic Wooten.
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    One of my friends from college has a really good modern bluegrass band called Old School Freight Train. They're signed to Dave Grisman's label. Check them out at osft.net. Besides their original albums, they also did an album for the Pickin On... series. They did the Pickin On Ben Harper album.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i saw one band at lolla last year that was excellent: nickel creek. they played covers of toxic and nice dream (britney spears and radiohead) which were a blast.

bright eyes has some bluegrassy stuff. also, the opener for bright eyes was excellent and straight up bluegrass. gillian welch. i thought i'd hate her cos i don't much care for bluegrass or female vocalists, but i really enjoyed her set.

so: nickel creek, gillian welch.
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    go wash your belly chasm.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Alison Krauss & Union Station
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • One of my co-workers is a big fan of Yonder Mountain String Band.

He made me one of their CD's...good stuff...but not really my thing.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Yarn

http://www.yarnmusic.net

Player on the bottom
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    I saw the Greencards open for Dylan a few years ago and thought that they were really good.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
    thanks for this folks... much appreciated... except for the belly button fetishist, i'm going to smother him though
  • Farrell Spence.
  • upina2001upina2001 Posts: 764
    Yonder Mountain String Band
    Bela Fleck
    Phish
    Ricky Skaggs
    Del McCoury
    Ralph Stanley
    Bill Monroe

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Split Lip Rayfield are awesome. Sort of a bluegrass band on speed.

Sadly the singer died of cancer earlier this year (prob in his 30s) :(

I would definitely take a listen, they are really fun. Plus their bassist plays a 1 string stand up bass made out of an empty gas tank from a car!
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    Nickel Creek has a great album out. Jealous of the Moon is an absolutely amazing tune.

banjos kick ass
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Dunk, not sure it would qualify as Bluegrass, but there's banjo and tis pretty cool, The Audrey's ~ Between Last Night and Us. Can't recommend this album enough. It's beautiful.

This is the only youtube I can find of theirs and it's not very Bluegrass but the rest of the album has its bluegrass moments. Just thought you might like a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtxrkF6duVg

Oh and at the 08.00 mark on the counter there's an interview with two of the guys from the band talking about being at a winery and playing with a bluegrass band. You can hear their song Oh Honey playing in the background of the interview. It only goes for about 2 minutes. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5CfqiiSVdM
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    Yonder Mountain string band
    NickelCreek
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    i saw one band at lolla last year that was excellent: nickel creek. they played covers of toxic and nice dream (britney spears and radiohead) which were a blast.

bright eyes has some bluegrassy stuff. also, the opener for bright eyes was excellent and straight up bluegrass. gillian welch. i thought i'd hate her cos i don't much care for bluegrass or female vocalists, but i really enjoyed her set.

Yes... Nicklecreek (Check out Chris Thile and/or the Watkins Family (Sean and Sara Watkins)
    and... Gillian Welch and guitarist David Rawlings.
    If you are in Los Angeles.. check out Largo on Fairfax... the Watkins kids play there all the time and it is always a great show.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • aside from what everyone esle said here ( which are all very good!) I would also recommend railroad earth and leftover salmon
  • I am a huge bluegrass fan! Here's a few cool bands... :)

Old Crow Medicine Show

The Packway Handle Band

Bob Log III (more experimental, but still bluegrass-esque)

Hackensaw Boys
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Check out Old & in the Way. Bluegrass from the 70's with Jerry Garcia, David Grisman, Peter Rowan, Vassar Clements, and John Kahn.

Some really great bluegrass music, and a excellent cover of 'Wild Horses'.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    16 Horsepower
    a blending of bluegrass, folk and trad rock. their songs are mainly dealing with conflict and spiritual themes. they have split now I think, most successful recording was "Sackcloth& ashes" from around the mid90s.

gillian welch!!! i've heard a few of hers... excellent stuff!!!

i've got a nice list from this thread and i've been using it to search their myspace sites, which in turn is leading me onto other artists... so its been prductive for me all round.. been trying to get out of my "it must be heavy rock" routine for a while now
  • Not too into bluegrass, so I don't know if this qualifies, but this guy was great live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYrcOih41Y8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj5yGTUHFkQ&mode=related&search=
  • Though technically not Bluegrass, you should listen to Neko Case. It's an alternative country vibe, completely original. Any album is great, she continues to produce quality music. My favs are Furnace Room Lullaby and Fox Confessor Brings the Flood.

She is absolutely beautiful and she has perhaps the greatest pure voice ever. Think Patsy Cline and Allison Krause with better lyrics.

Some real poetic beautiful music.
    the Minions
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    This is probably the greatest Bluegrass performance ever.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX9qcggRo18
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Matty Boy wrote:
    This is probably the greatest Bluegrass performance ever.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX9qcggRo18

Thanks for that!

I'm falling off the couch laughing.

But it's freakishly enjoyable, too.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008