Options

New Radiohead album is struggling....

dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
edited March 2006 in Other Music
Here's an excerpt from Thom Yorke... he posts on an online diary on radiohead.com and is usually quite frank but his latest admission might be one too far:-

The entire diary entry reads: "today, myself, i was struggling, feels like we been trapped for a long time. in la la land. very frustrating. and under pressure now its so slow. enough to drive anyone loopy. im supposed to be positive>> smiling faces for the outside. well im fucking tearing my hair out. too much at once. furiously writing, working out parts. cracking up. not much time left. unshure about everything. im not supposed to put any of this here. so thats why i am."

The band had hoped to release some tracks to download by next month and were talking about touring in the summer, though no dates have been confirmed as yet.
oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Interesting. I hate hearing that bands have time restraints. If the creativity is not coming you gotta step away.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    In Thom style though everything seems like a struggle to him. He could be just writing that just to get it off his chest and to move forward. There was another note a couple months back that said that Radiohead was all done, the music was all crap and then it sounded like he was totally kidding. I am not worried. Look how much they struggled with OK Computer and it turned out to be a masterpiece. I can not wait to hear the new stuff.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    momofglynn wrote:
    In Thom style though everything seems like a struggle to him. He could be just writing that just to get it off his chest and to move forward. There was another note a couple months back that said that Radiohead was all done, the music was all crap and then it sounded like he was totally kidding. I am not worried. Look how much they struggled with OK Computer and it turned out to be a masterpiece. I can not wait to hear the new stuff.

i cant wait either. but theres plenty of good music coming out this year, that if thoms struggling it doesnt bother me if he takes a wack of time to create the next album... i can wait. i've got plenty to look forward to this year that'll keep me satisfied while radiohead works out whatever they need to work out.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,206
    The band had hoped to release some tracks to download by next month and were talking about touring in the summer, though no dates have been confirmed as yet.

There is one confirmed date- at Bonnaroo in June.
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,735

The entire diary entry reads: "today, myself, i was struggling, feels like we been trapped for a long time. in la la land. very frustrating. and under pressure now its so slow. enough to drive anyone loopy. im supposed to be positive>> smiling faces for the outside. well im fucking tearing my hair out. too much at once. furiously writing, working out parts. cracking up. not much time left. unshure about everything. im not supposed to put any of this here. so thats why i am."

trapped and under pressure is being a soldier at war. he's a fucking musician with the world at his feet. give me a break.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    It sure would be nice if they gave making a rock n' roll record another chance.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    That is good news. Sometimes when bands get too happy and successfull they start to rest on their laurels and make shitty repeat albums. Sounds like Radiohead still feel like challenging themselves. Should be interesting.
  • Options
    I think that Thom Yorke is most likely having a serious problem with this album..I think at times he tends to be too much of a thinker and just doesn't let it happen. Even Eddie admitted that he was having some writers block during Binuaral..I think they should just take a break and reconvene in a couple of months..god damn fuckin record companies pressuring these bands..I think they deserve a break..look what happens PJ took a long break and this album is going to rule.
    Be Green and Free
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Radiohead currently doesn't have a record contract unless one was made in the past month or so, and was kept secret. I think the only deadline they have is for rehersal and things before their summer touring kicks off, or just self-impossed deadlines which mean nothing anyway.
  • Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    Igottago wrote:
    That is good news. Sometimes when bands get too happy and successfull they start to rest on their laurels and make shitty repeat albums. Sounds like Radiohead still feel like challenging themselves. Should be interesting.

radiohead will NEVER be redundant. NEVER
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    WESWES Posts: 168
    MCG wrote:
    It sure would be nice if they gave making a rock n' roll record another chance.

Radiohead has long surpassed the Rock 'n Roll genre