Baba O'Riley --v-- Teenage Wasteland

dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
edited July 2006 in Other Music
its called Baba on the UK release of Who's Next... and on their greatest hits... so does anyone know why its known (only in N.America i believe) as Teenage Wasteland... does it have different packaging over there..

The Who call it Baba as well... i just wonder why N.America decided to change the title of a song... I mean we dont call Yellow Ledbetter... ermmm... "out on the porch" do we ;)

answers if you can be bothered please :)
oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Hmm. That's kinda shit. I've never heard it being called Teenage wasteland. Baba's a much better name.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    ive never heard it called teenage wasteland either?
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    ive never heard it called teenage wasteland either?

really?? its called that a lot on here... theres even a thread called this on Other Music forum... oh, well!!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    really?? its called that a lot on here... theres even a thread called this on Other Music forum... oh, well!!

i think slip kid was just funnin. he's a die hard who fan and knows the real title. just capturing some attention. i suppose there are some who call it that, but i think it's more a generational thing than a US/UK thing. kids raised on the internet dont buy real albums, so they hear it on the radio and say "well the chorus is teenage wasteland so that must be the song title." then it gets all over the net with that moniker. that's my theory anyway. pulled freshly out of my arsehole.
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    I think maybe they just nicknamed it that. :confused: Silly American's ;):D
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • people call it Teenage Wasteland because they don't know the songs real name.

it's one of my biggest music pet peeves.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    people call it Teenage Wasteland because they don't know the songs real name.

I do believe that we have the correct answer right here.................
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    tybird wrote:
    I do believe that we have the correct answer right here.................
    Exactly. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    The Who released Baba' on Who's Next.

A practically re-worked verison of Pete's Teenage Wasteland that had the basic synthizer sound you hear in the opening of Baba'. Although Teenage Wasteland told more of the story of Lifehouse then Who's Next does, and you can see by the lyrics it's not the entirely the same as Baba'

I don't call The Who's Baba', Teenage Wasteland as it's not the song name

I was posting about Teenage Wasteland,.. if you will the orginal Baba

and no soulsinging I didn't do if for attention, I posted to get thoughts on it. I suppose not many ppl here know of this version.
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095

Ah I knew Baba but thanks for clearing up the other half :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • EBowieEBowie Posts: 532
    The song is officially called Baba O'Riley. Anyone calling it Teenage Wasteland is mistaken. Also, some have spelled it Baba O'Reilly, which is incorrect as well. This is fact.
  • TowsertunesTowsertunes Posts: 187
    Slip Kid wrote:
    The Who released Baba' on Who's Next.

A practically re-worked verison of Pete's Teenage Wasteland that had the basic synthizer sound you hear in the opening of Baba'. Although Teenage Wasteland told more of the story of Lifehouse then Who's Next does, and you can see by the lyrics it's not the entirely the same as Baba'

I don't call The Who's Baba', Teenage Wasteland as it's not the song name

I was posting about Teenage Wasteland,.. if you will the orginal Baba

and no soulsinging I didn't do if for attention, I posted to get thoughts on it. I suppose not many ppl here know of this version.

That's it Slip. Bring some attention to these great Townshend demos.
    Gotta love Lifehouse Chronicles.
    If you are a serious Townshend fan-
    a must have.
    "they don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read?"

How I choose to feel,...Is how I am.
  • Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    That's it Slip. Bring some attention to these great Townshend demos.
    Gotta love Lifehouse Chronicles.
    If you are a serious Townshend fan-
    a must have.

That box set is a masterpeice.
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066

"Who" says you don't learn something new every single day. Thanks Fins.

And getting to the teenage wasteland thing. When I was a we chap and was looking for the song on the album, yes album, going through all The Who's selections. Guess what title I was looking for. Sure wasn't Baba O'Riley. Ooops, again, you learn something new every single day. ;)
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 781
    The demo for Teenage Wasteland is brilliant. If you are into The Who and are not familiar with Townshend's demos, do yourself a favour and check them out.

q
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    its called Baba on the UK release of Who's Next... and on their greatest hits... so does anyone know why its known (only in N.America i believe) as Teenage Wasteland... does it have different packaging over there..

The Who call it Baba as well... i just wonder why N.America decided to change the title of a song... I mean we dont call Yellow Ledbetter... ermmm... "out on the porch" do we ;)

answers if you can be bothered please :)

yeah, i don't know why that is...

but i hear it alot! when people say "you know, Baba O' Riley" it's usually followed by "i mean Teenage Wastland"

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    people call it Teenage Wasteland because they don't know the songs real name.

yep that and "Led Zepplin" for me - I swear i see that one more often than not. :mad:
  • qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 781
    For the record, in my previous post my reference to Teenage Wasteland was refering to the lifehouse demo which is not the same as Baba O'Riley or the demo for Baba.

q
  • TowsertunesTowsertunes Posts: 187
    Slip Kid wrote:
    That box set is a masterpeice.

That's for sure.
    The guy played every freakin' instrument.
    Holed up in his little studio in Twickenham.(I think).
    People wondered if he was losing it.
    Nope.
    Just a musical genius at work.
    Hasn't been another like him yet.
    I love how he would show up at the studio
    with the demos, complete with backing vocals,
    for the band to listen to.
    Then the boys would add their little nuances
    and,well,another great tune by The Who.
    Brilliant.
    "they don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read?"