Chili Peppers
    U2
    REM
    Oasis
    Soundgarden
    RATM
    Alice in Chains and many many more
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    weenie wrote:
    Yeah, there was something in the air (besides smoke) that made those times innovative and free. I think the general mood had a lot to do with the creativity that was expressed thru music. You mentioned a lot of great bands I'd forgotten about. Thanks.
    P.S. How about Deep Purple?....I'm a highway star.........

Yep I agree definitely. Those bands KNEW they could make a difference - they didn't just TRY to or talk a lot of crap or do it cos it was cool. Music really influenced what happened in the world and there seems to be a soundtrack to the 60's, like if I think of any event there's a song that goes along with it. One of my favourite 60s songs is The Weight - I fucking love that song.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    It's hard to specify one decade.
    Each decade has it's own "theme". 70's was glam / disco, 80's had hair metal etc etc.

Some decent bands were around in the 60's, the Who to name but one. 70's had T-Rex, Led Zep, 80's introduced us to Metallica and don't forget, early "grunge bands". 90's, well obviously I don't need to name the bands there but you get my point.

I can't choose!! :D
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • dan_vedderdan_vedder Posts: 213
    The 90s had some good bands:

PEARL JAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Nirvana
    AIC
    Soundgarden
    Guns N' Roses (kind of)
    U2 released some pretty cool stuff
    Dave Matthews
    Radiohead
    RHCP
    Metallica (Black album only)
    NIN
    RATM
    Pantera
    Neil Young
    Sonic Youth
    Tool
    Beck
    Silverchair

Not the best decade but sure as hell up there
    Ten Club member 363***

7/11/06, 8/11/06, 18/11/06

escape is never the safest plan...
  • sorry, never posted on here before...but the 90's were the best era?....what is wrong with you kids?...without Dylan, Uncle Neil, Led Zep, Marley, and countless other bands from the 60's and 70's there would be no Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden or other bands mentioned in this "best decade" discussion...show some respects to the true greats
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    sorry, never posted on here before...but the 90's were the best era?....what is wrong with you kids?...without Dylan, Uncle Neil, Led Zep, Marley, and countless other bands from the 60's and 70's there would be no Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden or other bands mentioned in this "best decade" discussion...show some respects to the true greats

i do agree with you regarding the 90's.. but we have to remember that the artists we love from the 60's and 70's were all directly influenced as well... so it could be argued that without Presley, Bill Haley, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, etc.... then there would be no Zep, Beatles, Who, etc...

organic pure blues music is, at root, probably the catalyst for all that we love today.... and blues would have been influenced by something as well

tbh.... the 90's wont stand the test of time in comparison to the 60s and 70's but then that might have to do with the boom and bust supersize everything made in China kinda generation that the 90's onwards have been like...
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    The late 50's and early 60's were pretty happening in Jazz music :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    when i was 17 or 18 i thought it was the 90´s, but now i´m listening all rock decades, and i think every decade has his great rock bands and big fuckin letdowns......... the best decade it´s was you lived in you youth ´´12 to 18´´....

60´s beatles,kinks,beach boys,early led zeppelin, the doors
    vs all creepy ´´the ....´´ bands...

70´s led zeppelin,black sabath,the who,the ramones,queen,van halen,ac dc
    vs disco disco disco...

80´s guns and roses, van halen, iron maiden, slayer,metallica, the pixies, r.e.m. vs the masters of pop: madonna and michael jackson...

90´s Nirvana, pearl jam, stone temple pilots, soungarden, rage against the machine, smashing pumpkins, pantera, deftones, korn,green day
    vs the shit of britney, nsync,backstreets...

00´s Slipknot, Sistem of a down, queen of the stone age, the white stripes,
    the used, audioslave, velvet revolver....
    vs kelly clarkson, kilye minogue, ....
  • neartodeathneartodeath Posts: 167
    i have to say my era of choice is the Seventies...

Led Zep
    Neil Young
    The Who
    Bowie
    Springsteen
    etc.etc

some of the greatest music of all time was produced in the 70's... and yet people dressed like shit...

discuss...

why does there have to be a "BEST"?

can't they all be equal, and all carry GREAT merit?
  • BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    I vote sixties too. heres how i would rank it

1- 60s
    2- 90s
    3- 70s (although there is some real good stuff in the seventies it really is just left over sixties)
    4-00s
    5-80s
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    I like the late-1960s/early 1970s and early-to-mid 1990s, but you can't forget about the great jazz/bigband/hardbop music that was produced in earlier decades. Davis, Coltrane, Mingus, Monk, Parker, Gillespie, Ellington, Armstrong, etc.
    why does there have to be a "BEST"?

can't they all be equal, and all carry GREAT merit?

ok then.... whats your favourite :)

and no they cant be equal.... see the 80's.... *shudders*
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    What's wrong with the 80's? :mad: :p

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

Rockin' out to Creadles
    What's wrong with the 80's? :mad: :p

i dont know if this forum can take posts of 37 squintillion characters... but there were some things right with the eighties :)

The Jam
    Depeche Mode
    Pixies
    Smiths

quite a few good bands really.... soooo maybe not that bad, but somewhat spoiled by Wham, KaJagoogoo and the Thompson Twins... yet there were 3 of those talentless fuckers in the band.... oooohh the mirth inducing qualities of that band name has caused me to laugh so hard my thorax popped out!!
    Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA was released for a start. Man I love that album.

Rockin' out to Creadles