just bought "Neil Young - On The Beach" for £3

dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
edited November 2006 in Other Music
is it any good?

(i own lots of NY stuff... but i'd never seen this album on CD before until today)

so critique it for me please :)
oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    i'm pretty sure it's my favorite Neil record.

it's really dark....some really beautiful songs are on there. On the Beach, For the Turnstiles, Walk On, etc.

Ambulance Blues is one of the best songs ever.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I absolutely, unequivocally, adore this album....

And if I like it, it means it's good!!! :D:D:D

Well done Dunky... a true scotsman - a magnificent buy for very little money!
  • It's my favorite. Revolution Blues might be my favorite Neil Young song ever.

Fucking amazing album. You're in for a treat.
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • fantastic album dunky :)

personally, i like "see the sky about to rain", "walk on", "for the turnstiles", and "motion pictures" the best...it's all good though :)

a little neil in scotland blast from the past for you dunky..."the old laughing lady"...neil busks on the streets of glasgow in 1976...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=900Jei5vIsU
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    It's great!
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • is it any good?

(i own lots of NY stuff... but i'd never seen this album on CD before until today)

so critique it for me please :)
    It were only released on CD a few years ago. Some great tracks, Ambulance Blues, Vampire Blues, On The Beach, Revolution Blues... a real good find for three quid!
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    gonna listen later on tonight with me headphones on!

It was between this album and Bestof Tom Petty which was a whole £3.97.. being a tight scotsman i opted for more Uncle Neil stuff (even though i own no Petty) as it was 97pence cheaper ;)

Cheers for the clip Mooks... :) :cool:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • It is worth owning just for Ambulance Blues.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • "for the turnstiles", "revolution blues" and "walk on" are standouts. in addition, levon helm and rick danko from The Band contributed to this album, so you've found yourself a great neil record. enjoy.

thanks for the clip too, that was great.

neil young is amazing.
    Nice shirt.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    my favorite. AMAZING ALBUM. i think i'll drink to that album this weekend. very very good.
  • tnt358tnt358 Posts: 72
    phenomenal album, my fav neil young album
  • neil at his best

but you should also go pick up the petty disc.
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    On The Beach is an amazing album, one of my favorites by Neil Young. You're in for a real treat. I think I'll go listen to it now.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    its truly a great album :cool:

I love the melancholy of it... just beautiful

i actually listened to it with headphones (as i normally do) and played it 3 times straight through!!!

i'll buy that Petty one as well though :o
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    This album is a classic. I got the vinyl version of it in the mail last weekend and I'm foaming at the mouth to listen to it when I get some time to. Neil really opened his heart and soul and just let it flow on this record.
  • Yep, it's a great album.
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    I love this record.

"I got 25 rifles/ just to bring the population down!"
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE