FREE 7inch White Stripes vinyl on latest NME

dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
edited June 2007 in Other Music
i dont even have a record player but i bought it anyway... any rich americans want to buy it off me then make me an offer ;)

or can you guys get NME over there!

anyway the song is called "Rag and Bone" and its from the new album and its on a RED vinyl and has a cool gatefold sleeve thing going on...

i think my in-laws have a turntable actually ... hmmmm
oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Bangers_n_mashBangers_n_mash Posts: 1,241
    Sounds good but it's NME, aren't they evil or something? I wonder if newsagents will have a few to spare next month, that'd be cool.
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    yes NME is evil but i wanted the super cool vinyl thingy.

i'll need to find someone with a turntable though :rolleyes:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    Where can I get it?
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Alex_Coe wrote:
    Where can I get it?

it would appear its UK only :(
  • poorgirl23poorgirl23 Posts: 194
    Alex_Coe wrote:
    Where can I get it?

I ordered mine from this site...

http://www.backstreet-merch.com/stores/nme/product.asp?item=nme12

But it appears they're sold out. :(

Borders usually carries NME, but I don't know if the 7" is being distributed in the States or not.
    Common sense is not so common.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    You can buy it at some bookstores...........couldnt tell you which ones I have seen it at though.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I've seen it here but only in the indie record stores...I need to find it!
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    In most cases, the U.S. copies don't include an 7" or cds, since there are record label territory issues.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    eh...that sucks.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    i could have a look in the shops near me tomoz if anybody would like one mailing over? obviously you will have to pay the p+p but PM me if you would like me to have a looksy for ya, its nice to help out fellow fans of quality music ;)

i just told my wife about this post, her reply "havent you got anything better to do?"........................i ask ya!!! Pah!
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • poorgirl23poorgirl23 Posts: 194
    Here's a short interview with Mr. White regarding the single... it's comical.

You may have noticed that this week's NME is unlike your average issue -- it's got a shiny red slab of plastic on the cover. "It's a real seven-inch!" says Jack White, excitedly, of your free gift with this week's magazine, and what's even more exciting is that it's the first track Stripes fans will be able to get hold of, two weeks before the band's sixth album is released and a week before they'll showcase their new material at the O2 Wireless Festival in London. Pressed as a seven-inch single in a gatefold sleeve (with room for the 'Icky Thump' seven-inch too), it's a collectors' item in the making.

"We thought it would be a good song for people to first hear," adds Jack, and we'd have to agree. On this page you'll find a chat we did with the singer via email (the Stripes being holed up in their Nashville rehearsal space), their 'official historian' Ben Blackwell's Top 10 rarities -- your seven-inch being number 11 -- and, in case you'd like to sing along at home, the lyrics to the song itself. Read on, and enjoy!

NME: What made you decide to give a seven-inch single away with NME?

Jack White: "We've been trying to give our records away for years, but apparently British chart rules require bands to have sponsorship from a magazine, and failing that, go door-to-door apologising."

Why choose to do it on vinyl rather than CD?

"We've always made a point to ensure that our vinyl releases were literally constructed of vinyl, instead of holograms (like most compact discs). Sadly, Meg's idea of each copy of NME containing a reel-to-reel tape of the song wasn't practical."

Was having the chance to give something away free to fans important to you?

"We've been giving fans free songs for years... with the purchase of each record."

How involved were you with the vinyl design and artwork?

"Meg wanted the vinyl to be white, I thought it should be red, we quarrelled. A compromise was made by having two discs involved in this mess. Meg does love horses though, so I threw her a bone on that one."

Can you ride horses?

"Of course we can ride horses, we're from Detroit."

How big are your vinyl collections? Would you ever buy music in another format?

"Meg has a bigger collection than I do, but so what? She also has more purses than I do. I'd love to buy music in another format, if they could figure out a way to make it completely invisible, with no tangible artwork, and shipped to me wirelessly."

What's the rarest piece of vinyl in your collection?

"The rarest piece of vinyl in my collection is a small piece of red sparkle Naugahyde [American fabric shed naturally from the hides of chameleon-like animals called Naugas] left over from a diner booth I once upholstered. But on record, I do have Loretta Lynn's first three 45s on the Zero label."

Why did you and Meg choose 'Rag And Bone' specifically to give away with NME?

"We figured you guys talk trash better than anyone we could think of, so it was a match made in heaven."

Does it contain hidden messages when played backwards?

"Meg swears she distinctly hears the phrase 'enob dna gar'."

The 'Rag And Bone' cover is gatefold so there's also space for the 'Icky Thump' seven-inch. Are the two songs linked in any way other than packaging?

"They are both interesting bits of British phraseology, so we wanted to give them to the good children of Britain first!"

Was the spoken word part of the song spontaneous or did you have to act it out a few times?

"There were three versions at one point, and this one was put on the album, and on the seven-inch, with our eyes closed, handing it to the mastering engineer very gingerly. We were a little worried that it wouldn't be taken right. Humour and music are dangerous friends. Or beautiful enemies."

Has your interest in Pearly Kings led to you picking up any Cockney rhyming slang?

"No, but we love the relation to the history of Pearly Kings and Queens and the idea of making something beautiful out of what others don't want. It's sort of our job, I suppose."

Have you got any advice for NME readers who don't own a record player and are wondering what to do with their copy of 'Rag And Bone'?

"If you don't own a record player our first advice would be to take the next black cab you see to the Thames, and ever so gently jump into it. Barring that, they make great Frisbees, coasters, and eBay items."

There's also an interview with Jack in the new issue of MOJO. It's a great, candid interview... and the first time I've ever seen Jack White cuss! I think those Raconteurs were a bad influence on the boy.
    Common sense is not so common.
  • VrJxSVrJxS Posts: 115
    poorgirl23 wrote:
    I ordered mine from this site...

http://www.backstreet-merch.com/stores/nme/product.asp?item=nme12

But it appears they're sold out. :(

Borders usually carries NME, but I don't know if the 7" is being distributed in the States or not.

I ordered mine from backstreet too, they keep sending me emails that its temp out of stock and it should ship soon, but I'm not holing my breath.

I tried borders first and the only NME issue they had on the shelves was from May. I asked if they had the new one and she said they don't know what mags they are getting or when they are coming, they just show up and they put em on the shelf.

I've got the Icky Thump companion, but no Rag & Bone or sleeve to put it in:(
  • NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    It's great that they are giving away this 45 and all, but they need to repress the last album (Get Behind Me Satan). Instead they make it limited edition so less of us other vinyl collectors can get it. It wouldn't matter so much if it was a live album or fan club thing, but it was a regular studio album which should have been more widely available.
  • Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    They're plenty up on ebay now (surprise surprise)
  • VrJxSVrJxS Posts: 115
    NeilJam wrote:
    It's great that they are giving away this 45 and all, but they need to repress the last album (Get Behind Me Satan). Instead they make it limited edition so less of us other vinyl collectors can get it. It wouldn't matter so much if it was a live album or fan club thing, but it was a regular studio album which should have been more widely available.

did you see they released a 180gm 12-inch icky thump single the other night?? $30 for 1 song, only pressed 300.

Not to mention the $15 for shipping.

BULLSHIT

It's funny to see people on here bitching about paying $35 for a 7-disc box set.:)
  • Hey NeilJam? If you can get to Charleston, i know where you can find one.
    Chicago 8-23-09