Prince plays 21 shows in London in August

BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
edited May 2007 in Other Music
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003582237

May 08, 2007, 10:30 AM ET

Lars Brandle, London
Prince has committed to a blockbuster, 21-date stretch performing in London this summer. The Earth Tour will kick off Aug. 1 with seven dates at the new 17,000-plus capacity venue O2 Arena, which will open its doors for the first time the previous month.

Continuing with the concept tested with his 2004 U.S. Musicology tour, a free copy of the artist's forthcoming album will be distributed with each ticket purchased. Details were not revealed about that project; a spokesperson for Universal in North America, which released Prince's most recent album, "3121," says it does not have a new album from the artist on its schedule.

Tickets will be capped at £31.21 ($62.24), with booking, CD postage and packaging fees bringing the total to £37.21 ($74.21). In the context of U.K. ticket prices for superstars, the fee for Prince's performances represents excellent value. In comparison, the best seats for Barbra Streisand's upcoming British shows cost £600.

The legendary artist look part in a press gathering in central London today (May 8) to unveil the three-week stint, which will be his only European dates this year.

"Last time I was here, a lot of people didn't get to see me, so we're trying to make it affordable," he explained. "That's why we're doing an extended stay. I got used to this while working in Las Vegas. I also have a wide fanbase, which come to multiple shows all the time."

During his stretch at the 3121 venue in Las Vegas, the artist and his band performed a slew of unusual material, including a version of Beatles classic "The Long And Winding Road," Amy Winehouse tracks and "a lot of jazz."

Gig-goers in London should expect the unexpected, he declared today. "Because there's going to be so many nights here, we're going to change the show every night. We've learned about 150 songs, and it'll be a lot of fun." Prince did not address the claim in a press release that he would be "performing his greatest hits for the very last time," a statement that seems to be whispered every time he returns to the road.

When asked if this was the last time he would play London, he admitted, "for a while. Which is another reason why we are staying so long." When pressed, he added, "We just need to take some time off to study and travel." And what is he studying? "The Bible."

A spokesperson said "eclectic and surprising supports from around the world" would open for the star. "I hope that [Winehouse] is going to show up," Prince said. "I'm a big fan."

Prince's hugely successful Musicology tour was built on similar principles -- ticket prices were kept low, and the "Musicology" CD came free with purchase. The tour drew nearly 1.5 million people, more than any tour on the road that year, and generated $90.2 million in gross ticket sales, ranking second only to Madonna on the year-end Billboard Boxscore chart.

The inclusion of the CD for the London dates was down to "direct marketing," Prince said today, adding "I don't have to be in the speculation business. The record industry is going through tumultuous times at the moments."

I am definately catching a show or two :D
~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    am tempted, especially at very reasonable price...but there's no details on the other venues: O2 Arena seems to be a giant cave (too big for my tast anyway) and the Dome is difficult for me to get to anyway.
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Pegasus wrote:
    am tempted, especially at very reasonable price...but there's no details on the other venues: O2 Arena seems to be a giant cave (too big for my tast anyway) and the Dome is difficult for me to get to anyway.
    Well he's playing a few at the Koko but tickets will be goldust so...
    Got my tickets for the opening night in the 02, should be great, I hope he uses the same stage as he did for the Superbowl halftime show, man that was awesome.

Dublin 08/06
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Binaural wrote:
    Got my tickets for the opening night in the 02, should be great, I hope he uses the same stage as he did for the Superbowl halftime show, man that was awesome.
    I'm pretty sure it is, if you look at the ticketmaster seating plan for the Prince gig it has the symbol on the stage so it's pretty likely.

Got my tickets for the 4th. Got 2 thinking there's bound to be some friend who wants to go, but everyone is either busy or doesn't want to go! Looks like I'll be doing a lot of phoning about over the next few days
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    o2 press release memo i saw today about it mentioned a centre round stage with seats around it
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
    duggro wrote:
    o2 press release memo i saw today about it mentioned a centre round stage with seats around it
    Yep
    http://media.ticketmaster.co.uk/en-gb/tmimages/venue/maps/uk1/11423s.gif

Works out pretty well really, means no one is that far from the stage, although I'm guessing it's better to be near the O part than the arrow part for views sake.
    Paul
  • duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    hope the venues good

should hopefully be going to its grand opening in june but the music side of that night needs a lot to be desired- kaiser chiefs, tom jomes and basement jaxx........

free bar though, i believe
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • I caught him in 93 at Wembley stadium on the Symbol tour, just after he changed his name.

This guy is phenomenal, if you get a chance to see, don't hesitate, I'm gonna be asking the wife if she wants to go as she's never seen him before and she's a fan as well.

He'll put on an amazing show guaranteed, just wish he could pull another Purple Rain or even another Sign O Times out the bag again, I'm sure he's capable of blowing us away again on record.
    how come you guys already got tickets? there was a presale?
    damn yes..should try to get tickets for teh 4trh.
    it's one of my cousin's birthday that day and he's a big fan.. but lives overseas, so I'm not sure he'd be coming.
    oh well, we'll see...if anyone has a good spare, let me know.
    Pegasus wrote:
    how come you guys already got tickets? there was a presale?
    There was a presale for people with O2 phones.
    Paul
    fowls wrote:
    There was a presale for people with O2 phones.
    oh well..got a Virgin and a vodaphone card..so not missing anything :p
    oh bugger!
    didn't manage to get anything. Upper Tier is out of the question anyway.

if anyone has 2 floor or lower tiers tickets spare, face value..preferably the 4th but would consider other dates...think of me :)
  • Got tickets to the first two, floor and upper tier respectively. Seen him once before and couldn't live with myself if I missed him. Incredible performer.
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Yeo got my tickets for the opening night. And I'm dagging people from work, so this is effectively a staff night outV :D:p
    I'm holding off buying any more tickets until he announces more gig like the one in the Koko

Dublin 08/06
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    aww, that's so unfair. :o

I wanna go see Prince too.

well, you people enjoy!

and carry onnnn.. - now. :D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Tried to get Saturday and Friday tick at 9am sharp this morning but they were all sold out on ticketmaster. O2 must have alot of customers. Checked out ebay as well. 13 pages of tickets for sale. Fuck that.
    the thing is, if you can be bothered to treck all the way to the Dome on the day near starting time, I can guarantee there'll be plenty of touts happy to get rid of them at face value..or even less..
    but the Dome is too far, and my cousin leaves in Paris so..

maybe will have more luck with Koko or other smaller venues..you never know..
  • wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    Tickets are still available from ticketmaster. Just got mine for the 25th Aug.

Tickets are up in the gods though, but will still be an excellent night!

God im mental!
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
    wash_ wrote:
    Tickets are still available from ticketmaster. Just got mine for the 25th Aug.

Tickets are up in the gods though, but will still be an excellent night!

God im mental!
    yep...and that's why I'm not going..I'd rather not be there than needing binoculars!