INtersting comments from Morrello regarding RATM reunion

BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
edited March 2007 in Other Music
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003563283

Morello: Rage Rehearsals Sounding 'Awesome'

March 27, 2007, 10:25 AM ET

Gary Graff, Detroit
The words "Rage" and reunion are being muttered in the same breath these days, but Tom Morello says that no full-scale Rage Against the Machine reunion is, in fact, in the works.

"Right now there are four shows booked," says Morello, who's preparing for the April 24 release of the first album as his alter ego the Nightwatchman. "There's Coachella and then there's the three Rock the Bells shows (in July and August) with Wu Tang Clan, Immortal Technique, Cypress Hill and some other hip-hop artists, and right now that's all that's on the docket."

Nevertheless, Morello acknowledges that a presidential campaign season provides plenty of impetus for the politically charged Rage to play. "These times, I think, demand a voice like Rage Against the Machine to return," he explains. "Rage was certainly the most outspoken radical voice in music in the '90s, and the seven years that Rage was away the country went to hell. So I think it's overdue that we're back."

Morello says the Rage rebirth occurred last fall, "when it was clear there was not going to be any Audioslave touring in the immediate future" following the release of that band's third album, "Revelations." Bassist Tim Commerford and Rage frontman Zack De La Rocha "had re-established a friendship," and after some discussions, the band -- which also includes drummer Brad Wilk -- "all got together and decided (playing some shows) would be great."

The group has already started rehearsing, Morello says, and "it sounds awesome in the room. We remember how to play those songs; it's pretty much like riding a bike."

While any future Rage plans are up in the air, Morello is certain that the Nightwatchman will be busy following the release of the "One Man Revolution" album. "Extensive" touring will take him around the world, including his own Coachella show on April 28, bookings at Bonnaroo and the Newport Folk Festival and a stint opening for Ben Harper.

Now tell me that doesn't sound like. "I can't confirm it, but we're back" ;):D
~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,136
    Rage was certainly the most outspoken radical voice in music in the '90s, and the seven years that Rage was away the country went to hell. So I think it's overdue that we're back.

It also sounds like he over-emphasized Rage's politics a bit. The same things would have happened if RATM did not break up.

It would be cool if they got back together for good though. Cornell is better solo than in Audioslave and Tom, Brad, and Tim are better with Zach imo.
  • it's only a matter of time, rage will play the few shows they have booked through august, tom will tour for his solo record... I'd say we'll see something, either a new album or a tour by spring/summer of 2008

in the meantime, tickets for the three rock the bells shows go on sale saturday morning
    looking for 2 to Columbia...

***GOT EM***
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    presale for San Fran and San Bernardo is tomorrow with the password being GUERILLA

sucks theres no pre-sale for NYC.. i'll have to get my tix on Sat then
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    It also sounds like he over-emphasized Rage's politics a bit. The same things would have happened if RATM did not break up.

It would be cool if they got back together for good though. Cornell is better solo than in Audioslave and Tom, Brad, and Tim are better with Zach imo.
    Depends how you recieve the statement I guess. Theres no doubt that their affect on many political issues were fucking momumental.
    As for the Cornell Zach comments, I agree. Loved Audioslave but RATM together and Cornell solo work better.
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • i dont disagree with Tom. Without Rage I wouldnt know anything about Mumia Abu Jamal or Leonard Peltier. I wouldnt know about the Zapatistas and Subcomandante Marcos.

I think they deserve more credit than people give them. Sure many fans were into them just for the music aspect or morello's guitar solos, but I think they really turned people onto politics and got them politicized and turned them into activists. I know this is true because I am one of them.

I think its cool when a band promotes a cause or an agenda and I think their are many people on this board, and many people in society in general whose lives were changed by Rage, through Zacks lyrics, through actually picking up and reading those books they recommended on their website and on the liner notes to Evil Empire.

I think its sad that rock has to many bands become a way of making cash, making mad bank. I look up to The Clash, or Woody Guthrie who believed that the world could be changed through songs. Thats missing in most music of any genre currently.

And the idealism and youthful exhuberance and radical anger and hope in the statements Tom made in the days that followed the announcement of the rage performance at Coachella, he was saying something like that Rage wanted to get back together and destroy the Bush Administration all in one fell swoop in the desert.

Indeed their have been other good political bands, Pearl Jam, Bruce, Dylan, Public Enemy, U2, but I think the fact that Rage was so popular that they appeared on MTV and even TRL made the message that much more deadly and powerful. Speaking about Mumia and revolution and starting the revolution to a group of hardened radicals is one thing but to expose the ideas to teenyboppers and people who arent necessarily already of your beliefs can be a really deadly thing. It can change the world.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,136
    Binaural wrote:
    Depends how you recieve the statement I guess. Theres no doubt that their affect on many political issues were fucking momumental.
    As for the Cornell Zach comments, I agree. Loved Audioslave but RATM together and Cornell solo work better.
    Don't get me wrong, their political message has been heard and they have been the source for many positive changes. I took his comment as a generalization about the state of the USA as opposed to 7 years ago. With or without RATM, I think we would be at the same place.

RATM's strength in politics comes in localized or specific issues, but not in the broad view.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i love RATM but i am not a fan of reunions.

it's also good to hear tim and zach are friends again.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    i dont disagree with Tom. Without Rage I wouldnt know anything about Mumia Abu Jamal or Leonard Peltier. I wouldnt know about the Zapatistas and Subcomandante Marcos.

I think they deserve more credit than people give them. Sure many fans were into them just for the music aspect or morello's guitar solos, but I think they really turned people onto politics and got them politicized and turned them into activists. I know this is true because I am one of them.

I think its cool when a band promotes a cause or an agenda and I think their are many people on this board, and many people in society in general whose lives were changed by Rage, through Zacks lyrics, through actually picking up and reading those books they recommended on their website and on the liner notes to Evil Empire.

I think its sad that rock has to many bands become a way of making cash, making mad bank. I look up to The Clash, or Woody Guthrie who believed that the world could be changed through songs. Thats missing in most music of any genre currently.

And the idealism and youthful exhuberance and radical anger and hope in the statements Tom made in the days that followed the announcement of the rage performance at Coachella, he was saying something like that Rage wanted to get back together and destroy the Bush Administration all in one fell swoop in the desert.

Indeed their have been other good political bands, Pearl Jam, Bruce, Dylan, Public Enemy, U2, but I think the fact that Rage was so popular that they appeared on MTV and even TRL made the message that much more deadly and powerful. Speaking about Mumia and revolution and starting the revolution to a group of hardened radicals is one thing but to expose the ideas to teenyboppers and people who arent necessarily already of your beliefs can be a really deadly thing. It can change the world.

Nicely said! :)
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • oppie1 wrote:
    presale for San Fran and San Bernardo is tomorrow with the password being GUERILLA

sucks theres no pre-sale for NYC.. i'll have to get my tix on Sat then

jus found this on ticketmaster

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/00003E779C1696E7?artistid=750164&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=60

Internet Presale Info
    LIVE NATION:
    Start:Wed, 03/28/07 10:00 AM EDT
    End:Fri, 03/30/07 10:00 PM EDT
    FAN CLUB:
    Start:Wed, 03/28/07 10:00 AM EDT
    MYSPACE.COM:
    Start:Thu, 03/29/07 10:00 AM EDT
    looking for 2 to Columbia...

***GOT EM***