Nas

BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
edited May 2007 in Other Music
I just thoguht I'd start a thread. Going to see him in a 900 capacity club in Dublin tonight and I can freakin wait. Anyone else caught him live on the Hip Hop Is Dead Tour?
~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• not on this tour, but i saw him a couple years ago and he was fantastic.

900 seats? man, thats awesome. have a good time.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    I would love to see Nas, he is one of the best.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I would loved to have seen him maybe 12 or so years ago but I think ever since I am... he has strayed a little too far into the whole mtv commercial hip hop side of things. thats not to say he's not a great rapper, and each of his albums has flashes of brilliance but he will never be as relevant as he was with illmatic. having said that, I'm sure he's great live.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Doors opened at half seven and the first DJ was already on and played to half eight, had a great selection of songs that he ran thorugh, Dangerdoom, Bambaata and Grandmaster Flash. The second DJ was awful, playing stuff like The Game, 50 Cent etc which baffled me given the content of Nas' new album. Nas was not on until 10 past 10 and only played for an hour and 20 minutes at most. He was blinding when he was on and looked genuinely happy to be there, that said he was not on long enough and he had guys standing around the stage who looked bored. Overall I am so damned dissapointed. The last hip hop gig I saw was J5, I guess I gotta remember that not every hip hop artist can live up to the passion and commitment shown by guys like J5 and Flash.
    The guy is talented, very much so, but as a performer he came across as lacklustre.
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    I woulda loved to have seen him after the first album...when he was on fire always and about 23
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Binaural wrote:
    Doors opened at half seven and the first DJ was already on and played to half eight, had a great selection of songs that he ran thorugh, Dangerdoom, Bambaata and Grandmaster Flash. The second DJ was awful, playing stuff like The Game, 50 Cent etc which baffled me given the content of Nas' new album. Nas was not on until 10 past 10 and only played for an hour and 20 minutes at most. He was blinding when he was on and looked genuinely happy to be there, that said he was not on long enough and he had guys standing around the stage who looked bored. Overall I am so damned dissapointed. The last hip hop gig I saw was J5, I guess I gotta remember that not every hip hop artist can live up to the passion and commitment shown by guys like J5 and Flash.
    The guy is talented, very much so, but as a performer he came across as lacklustre.

You must have caught him on an off night. Nas is my favorite rapper and I've seen him in concert three times. One was that historic free concert in Central Park, which was easily the best non-PJ concert that I have ever attended. The other two were at colleges (the first was amazing and the second was ok though a little disappointing).

My biggest complaint about Nas' shows is this: when he asks the crowd for requests, he expects everyone to shout out "Ether." Or he did before Jigga signed him to Def Jam. Fuck that, I wanna hear some vintage Nasty Nas shit from the Illmatic and IWW days!

Does he still do that shit?

How was the crowd out in Dublin? The atmosphere can make a huge difference. Case in point, the Central Park show was absolutely nuts!!!!! Everyone was wildin' out, especially when he called out 50 Cent and Dipset. I remember right after when he called Dipset "dickheads" everyone lost it! Everyone in my section was like "ohhhhhh shit" and "noooooooo!" The person standing next to me tapped me on the shoulder and exclaimed, "Yo, did that nigga just say 'Dipset dickhead niggas?!?!?!?" If Nas (and his fans) could bring HALF that energy to all of his concerts, every show would be memorable.

That sucks that his set lasted only an hour and twenty minutes. If he's really into it, he'll perform for a few hours and say shit like "We could do this shit all night! I'll go through my whole catalog!"

Props to you for liking both Pearl Jam and Nas. You've got great taste in music, brother!
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    I got a copy of Illmatic somewhere, dont mind some of it.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Fuckin hell, just looked it up and he's playing Tripod. That place is fucking tiny. That'll be a good gig.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me