Jam Band Freak

jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908
edited July 2006 in Other Music
My Morning Jacket - Z
Band of Horses - Everything All The Time
Built To Spill - You In Reverse

I just bought all three yesterday. The clerk at the record store said I was a Pearl Jam cd away from becoming a "jam band freak." I think she meant it playfully.

While I like MMJ/BOH/BTS just fine, I think that PJ is in a whole other dimension.

Was she right?
"Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• alobaralobar Posts: 310
    Is Band Of Horses a jam band?

I really don't see Pearl Jam as a jam band when they play 30+ songs during one show. Just because jam is in their name, doesn't make them a jam band. If she would've said Phish, now that's a different story.

But I'd say MMJ falls into the jam band category and Built To Spill certainly has evolved into a jam band, especially with their release of "You In Reverse." I got to see BTS about a month ago in Seattle and they jammed a lot. One of the songs they played was a long, instrumental reggae jam and I was blown away by how tight they were.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • neartodeathneartodeath Posts: 167
    my morning jacket are a great live band
  • jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908
    alobar wrote:
    Is Band Of Horses a jam band?

I really don't see Pearl Jam as a jam band when they play 30+ songs during one show. Just because jam is in their name, doesn't make them a jam band. If she would've said Phish, now that's a different story.

But I'd say MMJ falls into the jam band category and Built To Spill certainly has evolved into a jam band, especially with their release of "You In Reverse." I got to see BTS about a month ago in Seattle and they jammed a lot. One of the songs they played was a long, instrumental reggae jam and I was blown away by how tight they were.

No, I don't consdider BOH a jam band, more shoe-gazer maybe. MMJ & BTS; I guess I see the connection there. I just thought it was odd that she made the PJ reference.

Oh well, labels suck anyway. ;)
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    jammerfall wrote:
    No, I don't consdider BOH a jam band, more shoe-gazer maybe. MMJ & BTS; I guess I see the connection there. I just thought it was odd that she made the PJ reference.

Oh well, labels suck anyway. ;)

I agree i see the slight connection with MMJ and BTS, but neither of them pull out 30 minute songs... okay well Built to spill on occasion has closed with 20 minute versions of Cortez the killer and Broken Chairs before but not all their songs are like that. My Morning Jacket jams... but they don't extend their jams out and completly change the song as tehy aer doing it like more traditional jam bands do. I don't even consider pearl jam a jam band (unless they are becasue they have jam in their name.

Either way you got some great albums man I love everyone that you got.

have you seen the video for The Funeral? Probalby my favorite video of the year (not that i see too many of them)

My next question is do you like Dinosaur Jr? J Mascis? It seems a lot of folks who are into the bands you just picked up dig Mascis. He is very favorably compared to The Built to SPill Guitarist Doug Martrisch. doug is a little more structured and melodic (although j's later stuff is melodic) and J is a bit more angular and brash with his guitar work.
    Check him out if you have not :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    intodeep wrote:

My next question is do you like Dinosaur Jr? J Mascis? It seems a lot of folks who are into the bands you just picked up dig Mascis. He is very favorably compared to The Built to SPill Guitarist Doug Martrisch. doug is a little more structured and melodic (although j's later stuff is melodic) and J is a bit more angular and brash with his guitar work.
    Check him out if you have not :)

Mascis is a god.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits