Daughtry

jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908
edited February 2007 in Other Music
Ok, someone at work lended me this cd to bring home and listen to because they know that "I'm really in to Pearl Jam." Is there some connection I'm missing?
"Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    You should lend your friend a PJ CD...
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • jammerfall wrote:
    Ok, someone at work lended me this cd to bring home and listen to because they know that "I'm really in to Pearl Jam." Is there some connection I'm missing?

Hahahahahaha! No no, I really don't think you are missing something, perhaps you need to loan them some Pearl Jam cds so they actually know what they sound like! Daughtry sounds like a fifth rate Shinedown album.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    daughtry was influenced by pearl jam, according to his bio.

to the untrained pearl jam ear, one might find similarities. daughtry has a vibrato in his voice and so does ed.

i hated CD on american idol. i like him now. i have his new cd, well it was a gift.

you guys can blast me all you want! i'm old and i'm not here for a popularity contest.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • iluvcats wrote:
    daughtry was influenced by pearl jam, according to his bio.

to the untrained pearl jam ear, one might find similarities. daughtry has a vibrato in his voice and so does ed.

i hated CD on american idol. i like him now. i have his new cd, well it was a gift.

you guys can blast me all you want! i'm old and i'm not here for a popularity contest.

old comn, you are not old. How have you been!

I miss you.

As far as daughtry I have a hard time giving american idol any time, so Ill prob never here it.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
    old comn, you are not old. How have you been!

I miss you.

As far as daughtry I have a hard time giving american idol any time, so Ill prob never here it.

i'm fine, glad somebody misses me! lol....

he was on american idol a year ago. i was in bed alot in pain (my bad neck and shoulder injury) so that was when i watched american idol. i do not watch it anymore.

first i heard CD a few weeks back singing star spangled banner b4 a game and thought he sounded good....next i heard CD on myspace and that's when i liked him :) f*ck me, lol for liking a pearl jam wanna be. at least he was influenced by the best, huh?

he was awful on american idol. he shook when he sang. i guessed i would have peed my pants or they would have rejected me anyway....
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Four songs in to it and it just seems to be a less obnoxious version of Nickleback. As for the PJ connection, I'm still stumped.
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • jammerfall wrote:
    Four songs in to it and it just seems to be a less obnoxious version of Nickleback. As for the PJ connection, I'm still stumped.

I'd say it's a step up from Nickelback. My mate burnt me the cd, and I don't mind his voice, but the album is just pretty unimaginative.
  • I'd say it's a step up from Nickelback. My mate burnt me the cd, and I don't mind his voice, but the album is just pretty unimaginative.

Well, most anything is a step up from Nickleback, and it's pretty much Chad K. himself that makes me cringe when I'm subjected to their music or (gasp!) videos.

I'm amazed that Slash plays on a track. Hmm.
    jammerfall wrote:

because they (the coworker) are the untrained ear. to them, it is just rock with a vibrato voice.

your coworker sounds cooler than mine. can we trade offices? at least your coworker listens to music.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • iluvcats wrote:
    your coworker sounds cooler than mine. can we trade offices? at least your coworker listens to music.

We actually trade off on what we listen to. It gets pretty bad sometimes. One lady that I work with loves to bring in these really, really cheesy Russian disco cds that seem to hold like 3 hours worth of music on them. It's extremely bad! But yeah, at least we're all cool with the music thing in general.
    jammerfall wrote:
    We actually trade off on what we listen to. It gets pretty bad sometimes. One lady that I work with loves to bring in these really, really cheesy Russian disco cds that seem to hold like 3 hours worth of music on them. It's extremely bad! But yeah, at least we're all cool with the music thing in general.

DISCO? that's funny :)
    well you pearl jam expert -- I hope you are nice to them when you return their daughtry cd.

when I saw the daughtry songs on myspace, there was one called Gone...I thought, "oh no", this is before I liked him and I was afraid he covered Gone.

daughtry is better than the winner of american idol. i was waiting for my car at walmart the other and i listed to taylor hicks' cd. blah.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • iluvcats wrote:
    DISCO? that's funny :)
    well you pearl jam expert -- I hope you are nice to them when you return their daughtry cd.

when I saw the daughtry songs on myspace, there was one called Gone...I thought, "oh no", this is before I liked him and I was afraid he covered Gone.

daughtry is better than the winner of american idol. i was waiting for my car at walmart the other and i listed to taylor hicks' cd. blah.

I thought the same thing about "Gone" when I looked at the track listing! I thought that might be the PJ connection. All in all, Daughtry is better than the other AI fare.

As for Taylor Hicks, that's a whole other thread!!
    jammerfall wrote:
    I thought the same thing about "Gone" when I looked at the track listing! I thought that might be the PJ connection. All in all, Daughtry is better than the other AI fare.

As for Taylor Hicks, that's a whole other thread!!

ugh, taylor hicks sold out at the venue i always go to in b'more.
    unreal. he sounds like he is a joe cocker wanna be with george clooney's hair.
    do you know how they originally wanted Chris Daughtry to replace Brett Scallions of Fuel because daughtry covered Hemorhage by fuel on AI?
    well I wrote an apology to chris daughtry on fuel's board b/c I've bashed him on message boards. I even replied to carl bell's email (the boss of fuel) when he announced Scallions left a year ago, that i would never listen to the new fuel if CD replaced Scallions.
    (do you know who Fuel was -- many people don't nowadays, they were here today, gone tomorrow) I like brett scallions though. So that's why i hated CD, trying to mock him!
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • I actually listened to Fuel's "Sunburn" & "Something Like Human" alot when they each first came out.
  • jammerfall wrote:
    I actually listened to Fuel's "Sunburn" & "Something Like Human" alot when they each first came out.

I like both those records, Bittersweet is an awesome song. Scallions blew his voice out apparently, but the band are coming back this year with a new singer and album. Apparently, according to those who've heard it, it's meant to be really good. Oh and Josh Freese plays drums on the new one, so you know it's gonna rock!
    jammerfall wrote:
    I actually listened to Fuel's "Sunburn" & "Something Like Human" alot when they each first came out.

I was living under a rock and missed out on both pearl jam and fuel when they were new. There used to be many fuel fans on the pearl jam forum. They must have left!
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    I like both those records, Bittersweet is an awesome song. Scallions blew his voice out apparently, but the band are coming back this year with a new singer and album. Apparently, according to those who've heard it, it's meant to be really good.

he doesn't sound funny when you talk to him though....he had a nice voice when i met him in july....

he's gonna be a dad I heard. he still posts on a fuel message board.
    http://www.fuelies.net

you know, fuel lost their drummer too. he's in an 80's sounding band called fosterchild from pennsylvania.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • iluvcats wrote:
    he doesn't sound funny when you talk to him though....he had a nice voice when i met him in july....

he's gonna be a dad I heard. he still posts on a fuel message board.
    http://www.fuelies.net

you know, fuel lost their drummer too. he's in an 80's sounding band called fosterchild from pennsylvania.

From what I understand, he had surgery on his vocal chords, and was basically told he would not be able to sing like that anymore. what name does he post under on that board?
  • People hear some jackass imitating another jackass who was imitating Ed or Layne and they figure "Hey, he's trying to sing like Ed!" (in 1991), "my jammer friend will like this!"

pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    Scallions had surgery on his vocal chords and he never recovered and it put alof of strain on his voice and some people in the band came out and accussed him of lip syncing at some of the shows because his voice was shot...he plays drums now for another band, i cant remember off the top of my head

as far as Daughtry i admitt he has some talent and his voice is good ive listened to the cd and actually enjoy it...shocking since besides PJ i listen to metal :)
    pjalive21 wrote:
    Scallions had surgery on his vocal chords and he never recovered and it put alof of strain on his voice and some people in the band came out and accussed him of lip syncing at some of the shows because his voice was shot...he plays drums now for another band, i cant remember off the top of my head

as far as Daughtry i admitt he has some talent and his voice is good ive listened to the cd and actually enjoy it...shocking since besides PJ i listen to metal :)

scallions must be a multi instrument kind of guy! i thought he only played the guitar in fuel. here is a pic i took of him playing bass with "the x's" in july.
    the x's are on extended hiatus.
    http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/65mustangTS/the%20xs%20vienna%20july1906/xs005.jpg
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • i'm actually insulted that Daughtry was such a fan/inspired by Live. His generic crappy music is a huge dis-service to Live
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    Daughtry's lyrics are soooooooooooooooooo bad and the singing is just ok...not impressed at all
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    the real winner AI5

http://www.myspace.com/elliottyamin

you'll see
    CD makes more money now than we do

:)

wonder when we'll hear about his marriage dissolving, after the media tires of britney's shaved head or anna nicole smith's baby's father is determined?
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • i'm actually insulted that Daughtry was such a fan/inspired by Live. His generic crappy music is a huge dis-service to Live

I'd say his cd is better than the last two Live albums, and this comes from a die-hard Throwing Copper fan. And in fact his voice at times, sounds a lot like Ed from Live.
    I'd say his cd is better than the last two Live albums, and this comes from a die-hard Throwing Copper fan. And in fact his voice at times, sounds a lot like Ed from Live.

maybe then he's a better LIVE wanna be than a FUEL wanna be?
    speaking of fuel....
    i like this blurry video (could daughtry sing this, lol?)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ICjktfG1HA
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    jammerfall wrote:

I love the song Shimmer!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr59K03yA7Q&NR
    10/10 - Brad in B'more