Husker Du

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited August 2006 in Other Music
were awesome. Discuss.

Just got Zen Arcade after downloading about 10 tracks from various albums. They are exactly what I was looking for. I needed some crazy hardcore with catchy choruses. Can anyone recommend other albums?
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Warehouse. Double album, fast quiet and fast loud.
  • mark armmark arm Posts: 962
    one of the greatest bands in the under 80s rock.

Grant Hart.
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • Awesome. I'm a huge Husker Du fan myself. I also recommend New Day Rising by them as well. Similar to Zen Arcade, but the sound is....bigger. It still rocks hard, but with more melody.

Hell, any of their albums work, even their more extreme early stuff.

Long live the Du.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Easily one of my favorite bands. I however don't recommend their first couple releases, at least until you have Metal Circus and up. My favorites of those in order are (I won't list Zen Arcade since you have it).

Flip Your Wig
    New Day Rising
    Candy Apple Grey
    Warehouse: Songs and Stories
    Metal Circus

I think Bob Mould went on to have an incredible solo career as well as his work with Sugar. The guy is just talented. I put his Workbook CD way up in my favorites by anybody and he remains the only artist I will still travel out of state to see.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    transplant wrote:
    Easily one of my favorite bands. I however don't recommend their first couple releases, at least until you have Metal Circus and up. My favorites of those in order are (I won't list Zen Arcade since you have it).

Flip Your Wig
    New Day Rising
    Candy Apple Grey
    Warehouse: Songs and Stories
    Metal Circus

I think Bob Mould went on to have an incredible solo career as well as his work with Sugar. The guy is just talented. I put his Workbook CD way up in my favorites by anybody and he remains the only artist I will still travel out of state to see.

Sugar's "Beaster EP" is amazing....very heavy - Judas Cradle and Tilted are great songs if you are loooking for something to download (Cooper Blue is an incredible album too - but much more poppy)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
    Todd76 wrote:
    Sugar's "Beaster EP" is amazing....very heavy - Judas Cradle and Tilted are great songs if you are loooking for something to download (Cooper Blue is an incredible album too - but much more poppy)
    oh man, Tilted is the shit. I can't believe I missed my opportunity to see Sugar live. Do you have the Besides with the bonus live disc? His reworked versions of the Slim and Explode and Make Up give me chills as I am typing this.

I will second your Copper Blue pick...obviously.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Awesome. I'm a huge Husker Du fan myself. I also recommend New Day Rising by them as well. Similar to Zen Arcade, but the sound is....bigger. It still rocks hard, but with more melody.

Hell, any of their albums work, even their more extreme early stuff.

Long live the Du.
    Yeah I've only heard the title track, celebrated summer and girl who lives on heaven hill off New day rising so far but they are just the perfect blend of punk with pop choruses. truly awesome stuff.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    transplant wrote:
    oh man, Tilted is the shit. I can't believe I missed my opportunity to see Sugar live. Do you have the Besides with the bonus live disc? His reworked versions of the Slim and Explode and Make Up give me chills as I am typing this.

I will second your Copper Blue pick...obviously.

I saw Sugar live at a small little concert hall in Toronto - they were amazing...one of the loudest bands I have ever seen. I do have the Besides double disc.....honestly havent listened to it in quite some time - but now it appears I have no choice.
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    I recently downloaded Zen Arcade and its different from what I imagined it to be. I was under the impression that Hüsker Dü were a cross between REM and the Pixies. Anyway, I'm digging the abrasive guitars and looks like I need to get New Day Rising as well.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
    viggs20 wrote:
    I was under the impression that Hüsker Dü were a cross between REM and the Pixies.
    Candy Apple Grey would have done the trick. After listening to that one, you can see where the Pixies/Husker Du comparisons come from IMO.

Candy Apple Grey is a phenominal disc. Sure it was their most commercial BY FAR however it contains my favorite Mould track in Too Far Down. Sorry Somehow, Don't Want to Know if You Are Lonely are as catchy as they come.