Maggot Brain

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited August 2006 in Other Music
is the greatest guitar solo ever recorded. anyone agree? Mike's version of it In Milwaukee '95 was unreal but the original studio version (Funkadelic's album Maggot Brain if anyone doesn't know) is astonishingly powerful. Apparently George Clinton told Eddie Hazel to play like his mother had just died. He actually achieves it. The solo is 10 minutes of the most emotional guitar playing I've ever heard.

"I have tasted the magots in the mind of the universe...
I was not offended, for I knew I had to rise above it all
... or drown in my own shit" - George Clinton
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012 wrote:
    is the greatest guitar solo ever recorded.

I'd be hard pressed to disagree with you....some live versions by the P-Funk All-stars are not too shabby either.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I'd be hard pressed to disagree with you....some live versions by the P-Funk All-stars are not too shabby either.
    yeah I saw a video on youtube and it was impressive but the guitarist was a little TOO flash, it wasn't Hazel I don't think.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Apparently George Clinton told Eddie Hazel to play like his mother had just died. He actually achieves it. The solo is 10 minutes of the most emotional guitar playing I've ever heard.
    I think Mike Watt must have told J. Mascis the same thing.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    transplant wrote:
    I think Mike Watt must have told J. Mascis the same thing.
    you beat me too it.

That version with J is a face melting sonic experience.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    yeah I saw a video on youtube and it was impressive but the guitarist was a little TOO flash, it wasn't Hazel I don't think.

I'm pretty sure that in the last 20 years or so it's been Michael Hampton doing the Maggot Brain solo for P-Funk....
  • intodeep wrote:
    you beat me too it.

That version with J is a face melting sonic experience.

what is this in reference to?

love j mascis - just curious
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    what is this in reference to?

love j mascis - just curious

On Mike Watt's album ball hog or tugboat J Mascis covers Maggot Brain with Mike Watt
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    intodeep wrote:
    On Mike Watt's album ball hog or tugboat J Mascis covers Maggot Brain with Mike Watt

i love that version and that whole album....."no cutoffs!"
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    That song leaves me in tatters every time I listen to it. Amazing.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    such a great track!
    i love both the original and mike mccready's version...
    but for me personally, j mascis takes the cake... i'm blown away everytime i listen to this...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    The original studio version is amazing and so is the Watt/Mascis version. You should really check out the version on Funkadelic's Live at Meadowbrook 1971. It's Eddie Hazel and he just tears the fucker up. It's truly awesome. The drummer overplays on it, but the guitar work is incredible.