Options

scott stapp

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited December 2005 in Other Music
Ok, I know he gets a lot of stick here and rightfully so, the guys a moron, but it shocked me, checking out some reviews online to find that there are still people swallowing this crap. I don't think my opinions are more valid than others but when one fan claims creed were better than Pearl Jam, it makes me want to vomit. It made me wonder why some people are happy to listen to pointless music if it pleases them on a basic level. I have a friend who listens to def leppard, poison et al, and yesterday he hit the nail on the head during one of our mammoth arguments (he loves 80's hair metal and hates "grunge", not because he knows any of it but because of preconceptions) He said "look, I like rock n' roll Jamie, you like art" Now this is not to say scott stapp is rock n' roll but it did make me realise that the explanation for bands like creed's success is that a large amount of "music" fans are happy with shallow music.
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Ok, I know he gets a lot of stick here and rightfully so, the guys a moron, but it shocked me, checking out some reviews online to find that there are still people swallowing this crap. I don't think my opinions are more valid than others but when one fan claims creed were better than Pearl Jam, it makes me want to vomit. It made me wonder why some people are happy to listen to pointless music if it pleases them on a basic level. I have a friend who listens to def leppard, poison et al, and yesterday he hit the nail on the head during one of our mammoth arguments (he loves 80's hair metal and hates "grunge", not because he knows any of it but because of preconceptions) He said "look, I like rock n' roll Jamie, you like art" Now this is not to say scott stapp is rock n' roll but it did make me realise that the explanation for bands like creed's success is that a large amount of "music" fans are happy with shallow music.

People have opinions, like your friend, and when it comes down to it, their opinion of a certain kind of music only matters to them. I don't have a problem with Scott Stapp as a musician. Scott Stapp wasn't the only reason that I didn't like Creed, the music wasn't my thing either. That's why I dislike Alter Bridge equally as much. Scott Stapp as a person is a different story. I hate him with a passion. You can't attribute Creed's success to the fact that you think a huge amount of people like shallow music. While I would tend to agree to you that Creed's music doesn't have much to it, it may mean other things to other people. There plenty of people out there who dislike Pearl Jam as much as some people here dislike Creed. It's all a matter of opinion. The people who dislike Pearl Jam haven't stopped them from becoming hugely successful. I think you're also confusing success with album sales. It also depends on what you're trying to succed in doing. Though Pearl Jam has been around longer, Creed is probably fairly close in album sales and Def Leppard and Poison have probably sold more. Pretty successful as far as album sales go (as are Pearl Jam). But I think Pearl Jam has succeeded in establishing a loyal fan base and relevance for the long run. Creed, as you know, has already come and gone and won't have a lasting effect as far as the future of music goes. Pearl Jam has influenced numerous bands that are around today and will continue to do so in the future. I'm only using Pearl Jam as an example because, after all, we are on a Pearl Jam message board and everyone here can identify with them. The same can be said for a number of other bands. They are successful for other reasons and some bands may be trying to succeed in different areas.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    For some people music is background noise for what they are doing.

Other people listen to music.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    As my boy Jay-Z once said :
    "Do you fools listen to music or do you just skim through it?"
    "The whole world will be different soon"
  • Options
    I will say, Creed was a good band when they were a Christian group: Hence, I liked their first album. After that, Scot Stapp became a hypocrite and blew everything to hell...yeah, Creed sucked bc of Stapp, and his solo work is HORRIBLE!!!! GROSS!!!!!! Oh yeah, and as for 80's hair metal: Bon Jovi was the only good one bc they were in it for the music, and they still rock!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    i love pretty much any rock music (no i dont like creed )
    but like intodeep said ....some people listen to music ...for others its just backround ....if i want something good to listen to ill listen to something that has meaning for me like pearl jam if i just wanna rock out then prettymuch anything will do as long as i like it as much as i despise creed and stapp if a song so happens to come on the radio while im at work ( where i cannot controlle the radio) i might sing along ....not often but it happens..not that i really enjoy it ..its just something to do

...my point i guess is that ppl have different tastes and are biasd to those tastes ..obviously id say pearl jam is better cause i was raised on it like all other music i concider good people who dont appreiceate good music just havnt been exposed to it enough
    dream like your living forever
    live like your dying today
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    intodeep wrote:

I have had this exact discussion with people time and again, and I see it that some people look at music the way I look at shoes, they're there and it's nice to have good ones but in teh grand scheme of things I could go either way. that being said I did just buy new shoes and love them but you get teh point I hope
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    BUENABUENA Posts: 165
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    I have had this exact discussion with people time and again, and I see it that some people look at music the way I look at shoes, they're there and it's nice to have good ones but in teh grand scheme of things I could go either way. that being said I did just buy new shoes and love them but you get teh point I hope

What a joker... going after 311 in a bar... "SCOTT STAPP IS IN THE BAR!!!!!"
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • Options
    BUENA wrote:
    What a joker... going after 311 in a bar... "SCOTT STAPP IS IN THE BAR!!!!!"

Yeah I heard about that, AND WHAT A LAUGH I GOT OUT OF IT!!!!

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    intodeep wrote:

exactly, i thought for ages that the friend i described above just had a skewed idea of what was good music but now he has told me it is cos he just wants good time, i suddenly understand
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Scott Stapp is a piece of shit. I hate his solo work, I hate him, and Creed as a whole only had one good album. My Own Prison. Everything else has a dick up the ass of commercial bullshit. And sounds like a suck ass Pearl Jam imitation.

You guys want to hear something fucked up? My youth group actually has a picture of Scott Stapp hanging on the wall in the youth room. They fucking glorify the bastard!

I'm really tempted to print out the 311 article and watch them cower in a corner someplace over it.
    Take a ride on the relationship:

http://www.myspace.com/unlockandunload
  • Options
    Scott Stapp is a piece of shit. I hate his solo work, I hate him, and Creed as a whole only had one good album. My Own Prison. Everything else has a dick up the ass of commercial bullshit. And sounds like a suck ass Pearl Jam imitation.

You guys want to hear something fucked up? My youth group actually has a picture of Scott Stapp hanging on the wall in the youth room. They fucking glorify the bastard!

I'm really tempted to print out the 311 article and watch them cower in a corner someplace over it.

OH DUDE!!! PLEASE DO IT!!! SHOW THEM THE ARTICLE WITH 311!! PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAN!!!!! I'M BEGGING YOU TO DO IT!!!! LOL!!!!!

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio