The Mountain Goats

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited May 2007 in Other Music
I am pretty damn sure there are a good few people on here who love this band (I remember one person in particular telling people to listen but I cant remember who it was, but I listened anyway). anyway, I have started getting into them recently and love what I've heard. John Darnielle's voice is unusual but really endearing and his lyrics are beautiful. I need album recommendations. any fans?
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Matt LukinMatt Lukin Posts: 647
    Tallahassee is my personal favorite. I don't have all their stuff, but all of it that I've heard is excellent. Try that one or We Shall All Be Healed. I also have a live recording of them doing Ace of Base's "The Sign", which is pretty damn funny.
    The car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
    And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Matt Lukin wrote:
    Tallahassee is my personal favorite.
    mine too. I have a good chunk of his work and you can NOT go wrong with Tallahassee, We Shall All Be Healed, or the Sunset Tree. I enjoy everything I have however those 3 are a must. The guy is nearly untouchable.
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    I've heard nothing but good things about them, I just don't know where to start. Any suggestions?
    Cock Fight.
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    The Sunset Tree is probably my favorite record of theirs.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I only own tallahasse. It is pretty good. I listened to it a lot at first abut then moved away from it.

He is a good singer songwriter.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    (I remember one person in particular telling people to listen but I cant remember who it was, but I listened anyway).

It was Echoes.
    Kind of dig them myself.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    It was Echoes.
    Kind of dig them myself.

What happened to Echoes? I always got good music suggestions from him/her.
    Cock Fight.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Tek Money wrote:
    What happened to Echoes? I always got good music suggestions from him/her.

He said he would'nt be around anymore back in January, Febuary sort of time, I cant remember why, circumstances and such, I miss him and his condescending remarks on anything that was vaguley mainstream.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Echoes post quite frequantly on the Red Mosquito other music board.

I go there becasue people are more open minded about music that is not pearl jam, chris cornel, audioslave, soundgarden, alice in chains or nirvana.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    I've seen these guys live.

Definitely agree with the recommendation of Tallahassee.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Their new one is brilliant too.
    I like driving backwards in the fog, 'cause it doesn't remind of anything...