I really fucking love The Pogues

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited December 2007 in Other Music
What a totally class band. Rum, Sodomy and the Lash and If I Should Fall From Grace With God are two of the best albums of the 80s. This music just makes you feel happy to be alive. Any fans here?

Favourite songs are:

Sickbed of Cuchulainn
If I should fall from grace with God
A pair of brown eyes
Bottle of smoke
Turkish song of the damned
Dirty Old Town
Fairytale of New York (obviously)
Streets of Sorrow
Young Ned of the Hill
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Yeah, I need to hear more but I'd love them tooo... I know it...

fairytale in new york is beautiful.......
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Yeah, I need to hear more but I'd love them tooo... I know it...

fairytale in new york is beautiful.......
    So far and away the best christmas song ever. Every time I hear it I have to stop, listen and sing along. Definitely check out the two albums I mentioned in the first post. Utter brilliance.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    don't know much of them. im not a huge punk fan. in fact, i hate punk. so i've always hesitated to buy them. i do enjoy flogging molly though, so the irish influence might be enough to make the punk palatable to me.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    So far and away the best christmas song ever. Every time I hear it I have to stop, listen and sing along. Definitely check out the two albums I mentioned in the first post. Utter brilliance.

I will!

I actually love Irish folk music generally
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    don't know much of them. im not a huge punk fan. in fact, i hate punk. so i've always hesitated to buy them. i do enjoy flogging molly though, so the irish influence might be enough to make the punk palatable to me.
    The punk influence is really minimal, seriously :) their fast songs are just energetic traditional irish folk and a lot of the songs are beautiful slow ones. I would never call them punk. never really understand the comparison. Maybe it's Shane's voice... but then, he doesn't sound any more aggressive than any other alcohol-drenched irish man :) Besides, aren't you irish by descent? these songs should worm their way into your blood on first listen :)
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    The punk influence is really minimal, seriously :) their fast songs are just energetic traditional irish folk and a lot of the songs are beautiful slow ones. I would never call them punk. never really understand the comparison. Maybe it's Shane's voice... but then, he doesn't sound any more aggressive than any other alcohol-drenched irish man :) Besides, aren't you irish by descent? these songs should worm their way into your blood on first listen :)

hmmm... they have 'the very best of the pogues' at the local cd shop. perhaps ill grab it.
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    Sally MacLennane is an incredible song. i have their best of, its good. i just associate their music with d cheesy bars here that play their music ALL fucking day...along with The Dubliners.....but aside from that theyre very good!
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Plus they still kick ass (or would that be arse?) live. One of my favorite bands too.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    They're about as far away from punk as you can get, so I wouldn't worry.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
    hmmm... they have 'the very best of the pogues' at the local cd shop. perhaps ill grab it.
    probably a good compilation but I really do recommend getting the two albums I mentioned if you can get them cheap. a lot of the songs that aren't that well known are absolute gems.
    Article on Shane reaching his 50th birthday:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/showbiz/2007/12/24/macgowan-exclusive-89520-20264884/

Apparently he's planning on getting dentures next year. Won't be the same...
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

And I'll add this, considering the day:

It was Christmas Eve babe
    In the drunk tank
    An old man said to me, won't see another one
    And then he sang a song
    The Rare Old Mountain Dew
    I turned my face away
    And dreamed about you

Got on a lucky one
    Came in eighteen to one
    I've got a feeling
    This year's for me and you
    So happy Christmas
    I love you baby
    I can see a better time
    When all our dreams come true

They've got cars big as bars
    They've got rivers of gold
    But the wind goes right through you
    It's no place for the old
    When you first took my hand
    On a cold Christmas Eve
    You promised me
    Broadway was waiting for me

You were handsome
    You were pretty
    Queen of New York City
    When the band finished playing
    They howled out for more
    Sinatra was swinging,
    All the drunks they were singing
    We kissed on a corner
    Then danced through the night

The boys of the NYPD choir
    Were singing "Galway Bay"
    And the bells were ringing out
    For Christmas day

You're a bum
    You're a punk
    You're an old slut on junk
    Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed
    You scumbag, you maggot
    You cheap lousy faggot
    Happy Christmas your arse
    I pray God it's our last

I could have been someone
    Well so could anyone
    You took my dreams from me
    When I first found you
    I kept them with me babe
    I put them with my own
    Can't make it all alone
    I've built my dreams around you

• RAT!RAT! Posts: 115
    agreed the pogues are fucking aces!!! seen em couple months ago when they played here and was pretty skeptical but it was awesome, shane was in top form looked and sounded great. cheers to the pogues!!! merry christmas!!!