Fugazi's "I'm so tired"

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited August 2006 in Other Music
I never ever expected this when I got the Instrument soundtrack. That's not to say I didn't think Ian MacKaye could write a song as beautiful as this, it just wasn't what I'd come to expect from Fugazi given that their music is primarily energetic and angrier, even if its in an intelligent way. This song just blows my mind. The lyrics are so moving. Any band can sit down and write some kind of false song about wanting to die etc (hell, all these new emo bands do) but this song is no fake. I don't know if its autobiographical since I don't know enough about Ian but it sure is real.

"Out here i can barely see my breath
surrounded by jealousy and death
i can't be reached, only had one call
dragged underneath, separate from you all

This time i've lost my own return
in spite of everything i've learned
i hid my tracks, spit out all my air
slipped into cracks, stripped of all my cares

I'm so tired sheep are counting me
no more struggle, no more energy
no more patient and you can write that down
it's all too crazy and i'm not sticking round"
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012 wrote:

I'm so tired sheep are counting me
    no more struggle, no more energy
    no more patient and you can write that down
    it's all too crazy and i'm not sticking round"

I loved this when I heard it

Plus, it's just him and that piano

so haunting
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I loved this when I heard it

Plus, it's just him and that piano

so haunting
    Is it Ian playing the piano? I hope so cos that would make it even cooler.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Is it Ian playing the piano? I hope so cos that would make it even cooler.
    Have you even seen the Instrument film?

It looks like this is an old song he'd recorded long before, but he brings it out when they are recording, and you can see him picking along to it on piano..
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Have you even seen the Instrument film?

It looks like this is an old song he'd recorded long before, but he brings it out when they are recording, and you can see him picking along to it on piano..
    nah I haven't seen the film yet. I saw it in my local record shop a while ago but was broke. Need to look into getting it.
  • you also see joe whistling it in the kitchen one cut later.
  • you also see joe whistling it in the kitchen one cut later.
    YES!

the part in the movie where Joe is trying to tell a story and dinner and gets interupted and then gives up is just so classic.
    Lally's such a fuckin badass.
    I think he's goin on tour with his new band this fall.
    There was some news on dischord a while ago....
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    a friend of mine does a great acoustic version of this solo on guitar.