Options

10,000 days (wings pt 2)

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited June 2006 in Other Music
Is one of the best songs I have ever heard. ever. How the hell does Maynard do it? And how the hell do Tool do it? I mean, total guitar gave the album 9/10 even though they said there are only 5 songs worth listening to. I disagree, given that I really enjoy about 8 of them but still it shows that Tool have got something special and this song is a reminder of that. Masterpiece doesn't begin to cover it.
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    its alright.
    No one is Righteous.......
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    I totally agree.

I Listened to the album alot recently. After those 3 killer tracks, wings pt 1 + 2 are awesome
  • Options
    armyreservearmyreserve Posts: 209
    Wings For Marie & 10,000 Days (Wings Part 2) are great songs on the new album. Hypnotic stuff!
    10/06/91 Hollywood, CA; 05/13/92 Hollywood, CA; 09/02/93 Hollywood, CA; 11/05/93 Indio, CA; 11/07/95 San Diego, CA; 03/29/98 (Dead Man Walking - The Concert) Los Angeles, CA; 07/13/98 Inglewood, CA; 10/24/00 Los Angeles, CA; 10/28/00 Devore, CA;07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/30/09 Universal City, CA; 10/01/09 Universal City, CA
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    it was okay, but there are some way better songs that long
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    The first two songs rock

3 & 4 are in a class by themselves. It's the closest thing to Floyd I've heard in awhile

5 is great

6 & 7 are a waste of time

8 could've been a great song if they did'nt try to be too strange

9 blows

10 is great

11 is a waste

I'm out
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • Options
    DCGARDEN wrote:
    The first two songs rock

3 & 4 are in a class by themselves. It's the closest thing to Floyd I've heard in awhile

5 is great

6 & 7 are a waste of time

8 could've been a great song if they did'nt try to be too strange

9 blows

10 is great

11 is a waste

I'm out
    pretty much my analysis :D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    I don't know the album that well but I think I agree with what you are saying, basically every song that is a "song" is great. I wish they would have released 11 songs rather than 6 and weird noises for the other tracks.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    DCGARDEN wrote:

i thought the same thing
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    feljokerfeljoker Posts: 11
    ..nice voice this guy.. ;)
    ..it's not like you kill someone..
    it's not like you drove an hateful spit into his side..
  • Options
    JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204
    WFM/10KD is pure awesome.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    I don't know the album that well but I think I agree with what you are saying, basically every song that is a "song" is great. I wish they would have released 11 songs rather than 6 and weird noises for the other tracks.
    well they are long songs. Metallica's master of puppets only has 8 and they arent as long as some of 10,000 days. I think tool maybe just were uncomfortable with releasing 6 songs in 5 years so they filled it up

ps I actually think there are 7 good songs there
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    well they are long songs. Metallica's master of puppets only has 8 and they arent as long as some of 10,000 days. I think tool maybe just were uncomfortable with releasing 6 songs in 5 years so they filled it up

ps I actually think there are 7 good songs there

That is a good point. Led Zeppelin 4 is only 8 songs. I think it would be fine if they only release the 6 or 7 actual songs without all the filler. No one complains that Led Zeppelin 2 or 4 has 8 or 9 songs because they are all great.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    That is a good point. Led Zeppelin 4 is only 8 songs. I think it would be fine if they only release the 6 or 7 actual songs without all the filler. No one complains that Led Zeppelin 2 or 4 has 8 or 9 songs because they are all great.
    yeah but it was 5 years. I'd feel bad about doing that many songs in 5 years no matter how good they are.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    yeah but it was 5 years. I'd feel bad about doing that many songs in 5 years no matter how good they are.

What side are you on? LOL!!! You previous post seemed to defend them for only have 6 or 7 real songs and now you say since it was 5 years they should have more songs!

I agree they should have released at least 10 songs no matter the length of the songs.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    What side are you on? LOL!!! You previous post seemed to defend them for only have 6 or 7 real songs and now you say since it was 5 years they should have more songs!

I agree they should have released at least 10 songs no matter the length of the songs.
    No I'm happy with the songs but I am a relatively new fan of only about a year and haven't been waiting 5 years. I think the songs are worth it but I could understand if some people didn't think it was.
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Is it just me, or is somebody else not gettin the Floyd vibe in 10kDays. The spacey, moody vibe that is always present in Tool's music is about the only relation. Musically it is distinctly not Floyd.
  • Options
    I think they are comparing it to Floyd with the weird tracks that are not really songs and the long songs. Obviously they are not sonically similiar.
  • Options
    PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    I personally (and being a long time tool fan since Opiate) think this album is by FAR the weakest they have ever done. Its tool, dont get me wrong, but its lacking so much that I cant say its a great album. It just kinda sounds like songs that didnt make it onto Lateralus.

Now the artwork is an ENTIRELY different subject all together. That is some mind-blowing stuff!!!
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    PJ-Sin wrote:
    I personally (and being a long time tool fan since Opiate) think this album is by FAR the weakest they have ever done. Its tool, dont get me wrong, but its lacking so much that I cant say its a great album. It just kinda sounds like songs that didnt make it onto Lateralus.

Now the artwork is an ENTIRELY different subject all together. That is some mind-blowing stuff!!!

I agree..it is their worst album..it does have its good moments, but it also has a lot of throw away material IMO. All in all, pretty mediocre if you ask me.
  • Options
    moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 535
    give me my, give me my, give me my wings!!

hypnotic was used earlier in this thread. i completely agree.
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • Options
    PJ-Sin wrote:

I like the album ok, I just wish there were more actual songs. I think "Right in Two" is one of the best songs they have ever done.

I am not blown away by the artwork like everyone else. Big deal a few pictures and 3D glasses? I think PJ's artwork is much better. Plus I like the lyrics included.
  • Options
    harrymanbackharrymanback Posts: 435
    the album as a whole is dominant ...

vicarious - solid
    jambi - solid
    wings (all 17 min is one song) - like nothing i have ever heard
    pot - awsome
    lipan - can live without but cool to listen to
    keys - needed for ...
    rosetta stoned - HOLY FUCKING SHIT
    intension - similar to DRT
    right in two - good
    viginti trees - allows you to listen to wings 1 and 2 at the same time

songs with lyrics over 60+ mins .... stop bitching about the number of songs. with the arrangements included, i am sure it takes a lot more time to compose these songs than 12 songs of verse verse chorus verse chorus
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • Options
    DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    I am a huge Floyd fan, and I hear similarities. If you don't, that's fine.
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • Options
    the album as a whole is dominant ...

vicarious - solid
    jambi - solid
    wings (all 17 min is one song) - like nothing i have ever heard
    pot - awsome
    lipan - can live without but cool to listen to
    keys - needed for ...
    rosetta stoned - HOLY FUCKING SHIT
    intension - similar to DRT
    right in two - good
    viginti trees - allows you to listen to wings 1 and 2 at the same time

songs with lyrics over 60+ mins .... stop bitching about the number of songs. with the arrangements included, i am sure it takes a lot more time to compose these songs than 12 songs of verse verse chorus verse chorus

It is not bitching. I said I like the album. I like it so much that I wish there were more songs that I would listen to more often rather than experimental bullshit that I will only listen to once.

Since you seem to live and breathe Tool based on your name and signature, you should take a step back and look objectively. Maybe stop sucking on Maynard's dick (pun intended).
  • Options
    viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Wings (1 & 2) and Lost Keys + Rosetta Stoned are the highlights of the album for me. As a whole, its a very good album but it has nothing they haven't done before...they haven't progressed as a band in 5 years.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • Options
    KillTakerKillTaker Posts: 140
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Is one of the best songs I have ever heard. ever. How the hell does Maynard do it? And how the hell do Tool do it? I mean, total guitar gave the album 9/10 even though they said there are only 5 songs worth listening to. I disagree, given that I really enjoy about 8 of them but still it shows that Tool have got something special and this song is a reminder of that. Masterpiece doesn't begin to cover it.

IMHO Wings and 10,000 are incredible. Taken as a whole it's one of the most amazing pieces of music I've heard. If you haven't checked the lyrcis over at toolshed.down.net I would highly suggest it. Very moving... Listen to these two songs with good headphones and so much more will bloom.

What's also cool is the play between "Judith" (A Perfect Circle) and these two songs.. Both deal with Maynard's mother but they come from completely different perspectives. The anger/heal scenario..

Love the record.
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    KillTaker wrote:
    IMHO Wings and 10,000 are incredible. Taken as a whole it's one of the most amazing pieces of music I've heard. If you haven't checked the lyrcis over at toolshed.down.net I would highly suggest it. Very moving... Listen to these two songs with good headphones and so much more will bloom.

What's also cool is the play between "Judith" (A Perfect Circle) and these two songs.. Both deal with Maynard's mother but they come from completely different perspectives. The anger/heal scenario..

Love the record.

I totally agree. It's really interesting hearing him sing about his mother from the two different perspectives. I think Wings for Marie/10,000 days are incredible, and show a completely different side to Tool. This album is totally not what i expected, which in my view is nothing but a good thing.
  • Options
    KillTaker wrote:

Love the record.

yeah, what this guy said!

once you 'get' it, it's brillant!

i'll second that, love the record!
    Perhaps someday I'll crawl home, beaten, defeated. But not as long as I can make stories out of my heartbreak, beauty out of sorrow.

-Sylvia Plath