City - Strapping Young Lad

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited January 2007 in Other Music
How can such ugly music be so beautiful? This album is the weirdest musical paradox I've ever had the immense pleasure to experience. On the first listen pretty much every song sounds like noise. Devin Townsend's production define's the cliched "wall-of-sound" description. Tracks like All Hail the New Flesh and Oh my fucking God will rip your head off but if you listen closely there is so much melody and beauty in the music and vocals. All hail the new flesh is at the same time one of the heaviest songs ever and also has one of the most singable and catchy chorus's.

"SO ALL.... HAIL....THE NEW FLESH!!!!!
BECAUSE IT SUITS ME FINE"
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I am not going to argue any of that. City is awesome.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    transplant wrote:
    I am not going to argue any of that. City is awesome.
    damn right. actually I need to check out more SYL. I also love Devin's solo stuff. The guy is seriously talented.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    best CD of the 90's, almost hands down. Just the heaviest fucking thing I've ever heard.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
    Echoes wrote:
    best CD of the 90's, almost hands down. Just the heaviest fucking thing I've ever heard.
    It is just SO fucking heavy. Home Nucleonics is ridiculous. The thing that blows my mind though is how, even when Devin does his most bloodcurdling screams, there is always melody in there. The guy has the best metal voice around by far in my opinion.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    The guy has the best metal voice around by far in my opinion.
    Have you listened to Opeth before? These guys have been brought up plenty of late however you may want to check them out if you haven't. Blackwater Park is where I would start.

I agree though, Devin's voice really is good. Like you mentioned before, it is his production that I feel sets SYL apart from many. He is flawless.

Opeth and SYL are what reeled me back into metal a few years ago.
    transplant wrote:
    Have you listened to Opeth before? These guys have been brought up plenty of late however you may want to check them out if you haven't. Blackwater Park is where I would start.

I agree though, Devin's voice really is good. Like you mentioned before, it is his production that I feel sets SYL apart from many. He is flawless.

Opeth and SYL are what reeled me back into metal a few years ago.
    I've heard a few songs I think but don't think I payed much attention :) I'll check them out again sometime.