Jackson C. Frank - most underrated songwriter?

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited January 2007 in Other Music
I'm willing to bet (and I apologise for being so presumptious) that unless you are a massive fan of folk music in all its incarnations or have seen Vincent Gallo's film "The Brown Bunny" then you won't have heard of Jackson C. Frank. He only released one album way back in 1965 but his music has a depth and a feeling of immense sadness and yearning that is only matched by the guy's story. His classroom burnt down after an explosion when he was 11 and all of his classmates died. He then used the money he got as compensation to travel to england but he was never truly happy. He returned to the US and descended into a downward spiral of depression and schizophrenia. He never released another album but the one he did make "Blues runs the game" is truly fantastic. I seriously recommend that you all check it out.
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    If heard of J frank, but I don't think he's that great. Mark Lanegan is the most underrated songwriter of all time.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Alex_Coe wrote:
    If heard of J frank, but I don't think he's that great. Mark Lanegan is the most underrated songwriter of all time.
    I agree that Mark Lanegan is vastly underrated but at least he gets SOME recognition. Jackson C. Frank is totally overlooked and I think his music is fantastic.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"