Prince

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited February 2007 in Other Music
any fans here? Admittedly he hasn't put out a good record for the best part of 20 years but the guy is a hell of a talented musician. If you listen to some of his really early stuff its like hearing stevie wonder but playing guitar like hendrix. the amazing thing is he does all the playing on his albums so well you can't tell its mostly all him by himself.
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Love him! And he has put out good music lately, Musicology was VERY FUNKY and the new CD isn't too bad either.

I saw him on tour a couple of years ago with Maceo Parker playing in his band and it kicked ass!

Jeremy1012 wrote:
    any fans here? Admittedly he hasn't put out a good record for the best part of 20 years but the guy is a hell of a talented musician. If you listen to some of his really early stuff its like hearing stevie wonder but playing guitar like hendrix. the amazing thing is he does all the playing on his albums so well you can't tell its mostly all him by himself.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Love him! And he has put out good music lately, Musicology was VERY FUNKY and the new CD isn't too bad either.

I saw him on tour a couple of years ago with Maceo Parker playing in his band and it kicked ass!
    but you gotta admit there's nothing on the level of his self titled album or sign o' the times or purple rain or 1999 etc?! :D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • well sure! But it is hard to live up to that stuff
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    but you gotta admit there's nothing on the level of his self titled album or sign o' the times or purple rain or 1999 etc?! :D
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    well sure! But it is hard to live up to that stuff
    yeah he must be the only artist of the 80s to be that prolific and still make that amount of critically acclaimed albums.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I have his very first album...the title song "For You" as ethereal...

I have his very last album...."Beautiful, Loved and Blessed" says it all....

I don't compare anything he's done to the success and spirit of Purple Rain or Sign 'O The Times. Those were once in a lifetime pieces of work; just like Ten and Vitalogy. Comparing other things to those monuments is pretty unfair.

A lot of the music the Prince has put out so undercover over the years has been so varied and, in most cases, so good! The man's grown up and out and nobody has done and will ever do it with his skill and versatility, his words skills and musicianship.

"Brilliant" is even too shallow a word for him.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    love him. not as hardcore fan as i am about pj, but definitely like him. saw him on the musicology tour a couple summers ago. great performance.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Prince is the truth. He's one of the reasons I wanted to learn to play guitar. I thought that Musicology was a great record. If he hadn't tusseled with Warner Brothers back in the day, he would have had hits just about every year for the past 10.

His music is just as good if not better...it's just not getting pimped the way it used to because the labels realized that Prince is no dummy. Now that they can't rape him, they have no use for him.
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    he's a sexy motherfucker...
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • bluemonkeybluemonkey Posts: 198
    prince is simply the man!
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i saw him live down in florida and in cincinnati around the time purple rain and then 1999 came out.. awesome live :)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • bluemonkey wrote:
    prince is simply the man!

Ditto
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • kdpjam wrote:
    i saw him live down in florida and in cincinnati around the time purple rain and then 1999 came out.. awesome live :)

I am jealous. Luckily, I was able to see him in 2004 on the musicology tour. He still puts on a fabulous show.

He's one of those musicians I place on the pedestal of genius.
    "It's not British music, it's American music. Now c'mon." -Bob Dylan
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    if there is anyone who doesn't think Prince is amazing on guitar here:

http://www.sarahbacon.com/prince/videos/rrhof2.wmv

http://www.sarahbacon.com/prince/videos/rrhof1.wmv

just awesome.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Love him! And he has put out good music lately, Musicology was VERY FUNKY and the new CD isn't too bad either.

I agree the new cd 3121 was pretty damn good.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Prince is brilliant!!

I don't own any of his albums (haven't found them anywhere..) but I really really do like him! :D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    He's a great musician and a fantastic live performer. I saw him in '98 when he was known as only "The Artist" and it's in my top 10 of concerts.

I also think he's one of the best love song writers ever.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    mrwalkerb wrote:

just awesome.

thank you for that - missed it when it was on TV. amazing is right. goddamn.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Two words that sum-up Prince:

musical genius

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    mrwalkerb wrote:

just awesome.
    There should be a law against being that good AND that well dressed.

His guitar work is so damn focused. Even when he improvises....it's so damned focused.

And, of course, he smart enough to have the saxiest saxaphone player (Candy Dulfer) by his side!
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Prince is THE man.
  • I think over time, we'll see more bands cover him...and I mean decent artists, not Baldy McStink. I would love to see Nails do one.
  • NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    mrwalkerb wrote:

just awesome.

That top one of the Beatles cover was increadible. It's like all those rockstars weren't even up there, just Prince. WOW. He is definately one of the most underrated guitarists of all time.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Two words that sum-up Prince:

musical genius

i was about to post the exact same thing.

he has so much stuff stowed away in his vaults....jams with miles davis, all sorts of things. it'll be amazing when that stuff comes out someday (hopefully!)
  • he has so much stuff stowed away in his vaults....jams with miles davis, all sorts of things. it'll be amazing when that stuff comes out someday (hopefully!)

This stuff will probably only be released on his death bed. I cannot wait for the day that i can listen to those classic studio boots in officially released pristine condition.

And another thing. REMASTERS! Please!
  • cookie5798cookie5798 Posts: 396
    My boyfriend thinks Prince is gay, but I think he is awesome. What talent. He's just jealous!
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    When you were mine
    I gave you all of my money
    Time after time
    You done me wrong
    It was just like a dream
    You let all my friends come over and meet
    And you were so strange
    You didnt have the decency to change the sheets

Oh girl, when you were mine
    I used to let you wear all my clothes
    You were so fine (so fine)
    Maybe thats the reason
    That it hurt me so

I know (I know)
    That youre going with another guy
    I dont care (dont care)
    Cuz I love u, baby, thats no lie
    I love you more than I did
    When you were mine

When you were mine
    You were kinda sorta my best friend
    So I was blind (so blind)
    I let you fool around
    I never cared (didnt care)
    I never was the kind to make a fuss
    When he was there
    Sleeping inbetween the two of us

I know (I know)
    I dont care (dont care)
    Cuz I love you, baby, thats no lie
    I love you more than I did
    When you were mine

When you were mine
    U were all I ever wanted to do
    Now I spend my time
    Following him whenever hes with you

I know (I know)
    I dont care (dont care)
    Cuz I love you, baby, thats no lie
    I love you more that I did
    When you were mine

When you were mine, yeah, oh no
    Love you, baby
    Love you, baby
    When you were mine
  • Does anybody know if Prince has ever done a complete acoustic set?
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    You gotta love that fruity bastard.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Yup, im a fan. He's probably the most 'pop' orientated artists that ive ever liked.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    So many wicked albums throughout the 90's,Parade, Controversy,1999, Prince, Purple Rain, Dirty Mind.

I always hear people talk up Sign o the times but i prefer any of the above.
    I have to be in a certain mood to fully appreciate, sparking a fat cheiftain helps with a woman at hand..........