Tom Waits

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited October 2006 in Other Music
bought Mule Variations today. blew me away. what other Waits should I check out? basically it was an impulse cos I'd heard great things and I wasn't sure I would like it but its amazing. Hold On is beautiful.
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BrainOfJDBrainOfJD Posts: 242
    You picked a good one. Mule Variations is relatively recent but it's one of my favorites. He has had a long career and there is a lot of great stuff to choose from. My favorite is Rain Dogs. His earlier stuff, like Small Change, is a little more accessible but still really good. Later in his career he started using unusual instrumentation, carnival music, etc - check out The Black Rider or Bone Machine (my 2nd favorite). That turned some people off, but IMO it only made his music that much more beautiful, stark, and emotionally powerful. If you liked Mule Variations you're not going to have a problem with that, so dive in and enjoy!
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    you cannot go wrong with any Tom Waits record. I'd recommend Bone Machine next if you enjoyed Mule.

Tom is a genius. one of the greatest songwriters of all time!
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • StoneG82 wrote:
    you cannot go wrong with any Tom Waits record.

winner. end thread.

if you're gonna try it, start at the beginning.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • You should definately find a copy of his Storytellers, wow.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    winner. end thread.

if you're gonna try it, start at the beginning.
    I might just do that :) thanks for all the comments people. coincidentally, has anyone ever heard the song that Tom did with Thelonious Monster, John Frusciante's band before he joined the chilis? I dont like Thelonious much but waits owns that song. I guess it pays off having a chilis nut as a friend.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • His latest works are also quite impressive: Alice, Blood Money and Real Gone.
    But you can NEVER go wrong with Franks Wils Years (Masterpiece)
    I feel very close to you all now; so close I could almost... loan you money. Really. it goes that deep.
    -Tom Waits-

Everybody should believe in something...I believe i'll have another drink - anonymous -

Ah that's just drunk talk, sweet beautiful drunk talk.
    -Barney Gumble-
  • Get The heart of saturday night. that did it for me!!
    When all your dreams turn to dust, vacuum
    When all else fails, read the instruction
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I read that Scarlet johannson will be putting out a cover album of Tom's stuff next year.

I thought that was pretty cool.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22