Van Morrison

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited February 2008 in Other Music
is the fucking man.

Astral Weeks, Moondance, Saint Dominic's Preview, all amazing albums.
any fans?

case in point: http://www.123video.nl/playvideos.asp?MovieID=136158
holy shit
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I like Tupelo Honey as well..........
    No one is ever gonna find ya, if you don`t get yourself lost...........
  • I first heard Astral Weeks in about 1988, and it's been my favourite Van album ever since. Everything he did right through to and including Veedon Fleece is essential listening. Listen To The Lion must be one of the first truly ambient pieces of music in rock. Almost Independence Day was the song that made me buy a twelve string.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    absolutely love van morrison....keep meaning to see him when he comes around but i always miss...:)
  • i dig a lot of his stuff. some of my favorites: domino, moondance, jackie wilson said, into the mystic (my absolute favorite from him), warm love.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Vans the Man :D Astral Weeks is a beautiful album,my favourite.
    My friend works for the Scottish Courts,Van had witnessed an incident at one of his concerts and was called as a witness.She had to do all his paperwork etc.She said he was one of the rudest ignorant people she has had to deal with.:D
    Still can't take the mans voice from him though.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Vans the Man :D Astral Weeks is a beautiful album,my favourite.
    My friend works for the Scottish Courts,Van had witnessed an incident at one of his concerts and was called as a witness.She had to do all his paperwork etc.She said he was one of the rudest ignorant people she has had to deal with.:D
    Still can't take the mans voice from him though.
    Yeah, apparantly he has always been an asshole :) When he was in the band Them, a journalist who had to interview them described them as the most "boorish young men" he had ever met. Amazing music though.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • I've heard some other stories to that effect, but given the man's litigious disposition I'll save them for er, another time ... not quite as bad as Vivian Stanshall lying on the pool table spreadlegged and wailing "Fuck me, fuck me", but notable nonetheless ... (I could relate the Stanshall incident because Stanshall is no longer with us).
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    My parents love Van Morrison although I always hated it when they played his records when I was younger. Now that I'm older and discovering a lot more music, I'm really surprised as to how much of his music has stuck with me. He really has some beautiful music, with 'Sweet Thing' from Astral Weeks been my all time favourite.

He's a dickhead though ;)
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    muppet wrote:
    My parents love Van Morrison although I always hated it when they played his records when I was younger. Now that I'm older and discovering a lot more music, I'm really surprised as to how much of his music has stuck with me. He really has some beautiful music, with 'Sweet Thing' from Astral Weeks been my all time favourite.

He's a dickhead though ;)
    Sweet Thing is my favourite too, probably followed by Saint Dominic's Preview and And it stoned me.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Crazy Love was the first dance song at my wedding.

I only own Moondance and Astral Weeks and consider them among my favorite albums, although it took multiple listens to really get into Astral Weeks. I really need to buy more of his work I suppose.
  • For one of the most amazing vocal performances ever, check out Van's double live album "It's Too Late To Stop Now". Lots of old blues covers and great live versions of some classics, including a spectacular version of "Listen to the Lion", one of my favorite Van the Man songs.

And didn't he steal the show at "The Last Waltz"?
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Van Morrison is one artist that I seem to go back to every few months when I want to relax. Moondance is also a great album to put on when you're alone with the Mrs...
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    For one of the most amazing vocal performances ever, check out Van's double live album "It's Too Late To Stop Now". Lots of old blues covers and great live versions of some classics, including a spectacular version of "Listen to the Lion", one of my favorite Van the Man songs.

And didn't he steal the show at "The Last Waltz"?
    He definitely stole the show at The Last Waltz. That performance of Caravan is amazing.
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Van Fan here, albiet somewhat casual. One of his songs was my 'first dance' and my wedding.
    I love to turn you on
  • astral weeks is easily in my top 3 albums of ALL time, by any artist. if anyone reading this has yet to hear the whole album, do yourself a favor and buy it.

also, do a quick search for lester bangs' review of astral weeks. great stuff.
  • I'm always discovering a new Morrison song all the time. Good stuuf. :)