Autechre

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited April 2008 in Other Music
any fans out there? Or of IDM (Intelligent Dance Music) in general? Shitty name for a genre but generally great music. Autechre have been making some of the most complex, truly original electronic music for over 15 years now. If you haven't heard this stuff, don't let the name mislead you or put you off. This is not music to dance to. It's generally elaborately composed glitch electronica with ambient undertones.

Tri Repetae and Confield are amazing albums. The former is probably in my top 10 albums from the 90s.
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    I love loads of IDM/electronic music. Not an Autechre fan though. More into
    Aphex Twin, Prefuse 73 (best hip hop producer out there) , Amon Tobin, Telefon Tel Aviv, DJ Shadow, Four Tet, Squarepusher (the melodic stuff), Daft Punk ect...
  • I was never too into dance music, but I'm very much into 'intelligent' garage music, or Dubstep.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Django wrote:
    I love loads of IDM/electronic music. Not an Autechre fan though. More into
    Aphex Twin, Prefuse 73 (best hip hop producer out there) , Amon Tobin, Telefon Tel Aviv, DJ Shadow, Four Tet, Squarepusher (the melodic stuff), Daft Punk ect...
    Amon Tobin is great. Bricolage is a fantastic album. I love early Aphex (the ambient works) and DJ Shadow is awesome. Still need to hear more Squarepusher.

Oh and Mark, this isn't dance music. It's the most inappropriate genre name ever. None of the artists that get called IDM like the label. You'd look a proper dick dancing to Autechre. Especially Confield. Heart attack enducing, that would be.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Amon Tobin is great. Bricolage is a fantastic album. I love early Aphex (the ambient works) and DJ Shadow is awesome. Still need to hear more Squarepusher.

Oh and Mark, this isn't dance music. It's the most inappropriate genre name ever. None of the artists that get called IDM like the label. You'd look a proper dick dancing to Autechre. Especially Confield. Heart attack enducing, that would be.

I like Squarepusher. :)

Have you heard any Dubstep?

Here's an example of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkZ33k9Yh_Y
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

Not a MASSIVE fan of dubstep but that's probably due to overexposure. My uni is all about tha dubstep.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Not a MASSIVE fan of dubstep but that's probably due to overexposure. My uni is all about tha dubstep.

I used to like breakbeat garage when it was being made (it then turned into 'grime', which is totally awful), but I found Dubstep by myself and I remain the only person I know who's heard of it, so.... I don't even know any garage heads anymore.

• gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    never heard of 'em.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Heard some of Quaristice, sounded like a headfuck, to me anyway.
    elmer wrote:
    Heard some of Quaristice, sounded like a headfuck, to me anyway.
    Quaristice is their worst album, though I do enjoy it. Most of their post-1995 stuff has become increasingly headfuck-esque. Very, VERY complex rhythmic programming and layers. It's some of the most difficult music to get into I've ever heard but really kind of worth it. I first heard their album Tri Repetae and thought it was way too weird. Then I got it and checked out all of their albums and about 6 EPs and realised that Tri Repetae was easygoing in comparison. Still their best though. They take "dance" music about as far as it can go in terms of complexity. They seem to have been on a mission with their last few albums to make the most obtuse, alienating music possible but I kinda dig that.
    Sounds interesting :) It's a lot like Boards of Canada.

oh, and I can make it after all tomorrow Richard so make sure you put on a cracking gig :) Faith in Blame please :D
  • If you come along, you save me life. Truly. Half seven it is!

I've known Xurba for twenty years. He's mastering my album. He is by far the most astonishing shredder I've ever seen, but with a tremendous musical brain, too.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Quaristice is their worst album, though I do enjoy it. Most of their post-1995 stuff has become increasingly headfuck-esque. Very, VERY complex rhythmic programming and layers. It's some of the most difficult music to get into I've ever heard but really kind of worth it. I first heard their album Tri Repetae and thought it was way too weird. Then I got it and checked out all of their albums and about 6 EPs and realised that Tri Repetae was easygoing in comparison. Still their best though. They take "dance" music about as far as it can go in terms of complexity. They seem to have been on a mission with their last few albums to make the most obtuse, alienating music possible but I kinda dig that.

as far as purely electronic music goes I revert back to John Carpenter from time to time, grooving to his Escape From New York and Assault on Precinct 13 soundtracks, not too much complexity there.

you into any Terry Riley or Arnold Dreyblatt?
    elmer wrote:
    as far as purely electronic music goes I revert back to John Carpenter from time to time, grooving to his Escape From New York and Assault on Precinct 13 soundtracks, not too much complexity there.

you into any Terry Riley or Arnold Dreyblatt?
    I'm a fan of Riley, never heard any Dreyblatt. Have you heard La Monte Young? He was a massive influence on Riley. A lot of his stuff isn't electronic but he was the founder of the minimalist movement. His "Well-Tuned Piano" composition is amazing. Very long though. Some live performances have been over 6 hours.