Options

Pantera

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited July 2006 in Other Music
Until yesterday my only knowledge of Pantera was I'm Broken which I thought had good riffs but hated the singing. Then I saw the video for Cemetary gats and it was absolutely awesome. It just totally had a sound I love. I didn't realise Phil anselmo could actually sing. Since then I've been checking out more of their early 1990's stuff (cowboys from hell era) and I'm really digging it. I just want to know if this is a good album to get? Basically I love cemetary gates and want to know if there is more in that vein?
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Until yesterday my only knowledge of Pantera was I'm Broken which I thought had good riffs but hated the singing. Then I saw the video for Cemetary gats and it was absolutely awesome. It just totally had a sound I love. I didn't realise Phil anselmo could actually sing. Since then I've been checking out more of their early 1990's stuff (cowboys from hell era) and I'm really digging it. I just want to know if this is a good album to get? Basically I love cemetary gates and want to know if there is more in that vein?

dude where you been? pantera's been around ages.. growing up in texas i had the pleasure of seeing them many times in the local bars and at jam sessions in basements but man they've been known even outside of texas for im thinking at least 15 yrs. they're the Cowboys from hell..lol... are you serious? or joking? or is this just a joke ? lol.
    R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell
    ...It's only after disaster that we can be resurrected...
    it's only after you've lost everything ...that you are free to do anything....(Fight Club)

... I'll ride the wave...where it takes me....
  • Options
    dude where you been? pantera's been around ages.. growing up in texas i had the pleasure of seeing them many times in the local bars and at jam sessions in basements but man they've been known even outside of texas for im thinking at least 15 yrs. they're the Cowboys from hell..lol... are you serious? or joking? or is this just a joke ? lol.
    R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

My Bad ! Just noticed your location was England. just get anything you can find by Pantera ,seriously youll love it. i dont really get into them like when i was younger, but youll like it all...
    it's only after you've lost everything ...that you are free to do anything....(Fight Club)

• Options
    surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

There aren't really any other songs like cemetary gates on any of the albums, they are all quite a bit heavier. They are all fucking amazing though Dime was a true guitar hero.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I would start by getting CFH, then you need to buy Vulgar Display Of Power, one of the greatest albums ever released and then keep going in chronological order.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    hollow might be the closest song they came to Cematary Gates in my opinion. That slow build into a rockin song. most of their stuff is more aggressive like I'm Broken.

Their first two albums are where you would probalby want to start. If you love them then move forward, but Cowboys From Hell and Vulgar Display of Power are not only there most accesable albums, but i think their best as well.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell
    I had been well aware of Pantera and knew about them etc I just hadn't heard many songs and wasn't over interested. I was put off by what I saw as Anselmo's "macho" style. Then I saw cemetary gates and I was blown away. Been listening to it on repeat for about 2 days now!
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I've seen houses torn apart during a party because someone popped a Pantera disc in! It's some powerful shit! Damage Plan was pretty good too.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    Pantera have some of the best riffs of all time and id recommend all their albums. Its all quite a bit heavier than Cemetary Gates, although thats got to be my favourite as well. Phils voice is a lot clearer and better than most metal bands and if you give it a chance you wont regret it.
    ......._________________________
    ....../ `---GLORIFIED_G----_____|] ===
    ...../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
    .....), ---.(_(__) /
    ....// (..) ), ----"
    ...//___//
    ..//___//
    .//___//
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I'm not a huge Pantera fan (so ream me if you must), but they do have some good songs.
    I like:
    Cowboys from hell
    Psyco holiday
    Becomimg
    Walk
    Planet Caravan (Black Sabath cover)
    The Far Beond driven cd is pretty good, I did not like Southern Trendkill or Reinventing the steel at all.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    OthersiderOthersider Posts: 19
    If you like "Cemetery Gates" but not [pick almost any other Pantera song you've heard], you probably won't like a lot of their stuff. "Cemetery Gates" was pretty different from anything else they ever did. My girlfriend loves that song, for example, but she hasn't liked any of the others I've played for her. Either way, though, I'd recommend you give them a chance or two, because I think they're awesome, and I know I'm not alone in that.
  • Options
    Othersider wrote:
    If you like "Cemetery Gates" but not [pick almost any other Pantera song you've heard], you probably won't like a lot of their stuff. "Cemetery Gates" was pretty different from anything else they ever did. My girlfriend loves that song, for example, but she hasn't liked any of the others I've played for her. Either way, though, I'd recommend you give them a chance or two, because I think they're awesome, and I know I'm not alone in that.

Surely she likes Planet Caravan?
  • Options
    OthersiderOthersider Posts: 19
    Surely she likes Planet Caravan?
    Actually, I don't think I've played that one for her. I'll try it and get back to you.
  • Options
    Othersider wrote:
    Actually, I don't think I've played that one for her. I'll try it and get back to you.

My mam does not like Pantera (apart from the guitar playing) but she loves their version of Planet Caravan.:)
  • Options
    darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    anyone heard of pantallica? a tribute band to both pantera and metallica. rather mental stuff
  • Options
    Othersider wrote:

Well I've heard cowboys from hell and thought it was awesome and I also really liked Walk and neither of those are much like cemetary gates so I'm optimistic. I guess I just like the material from 1990-1992.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Well I've heard cowboys from hell and thought it was awesome and I also really liked Walk and neither of those are much like cemetary gates so I'm optimistic. I guess I just like the material from 1990-1992.

whatd you think about Fucking Hostile? and um A New Level?

• Options

It's worth saying again Vulgar Display... is one of the greatest albums ever released.:)
    Also to the thread starter theres a best of CD and DVD combo out there, you can get it fairly cheap, it may be worth checking out, if you get in to them and decide you want all the albums the DVD still makes it a worth while purchase, it has all their videos on there and some live footage.:)
  • Options
    It's worth saying again Vulgar Display... is one of the greatest albums ever released.:)
    Also to the thread starter theres a best of CD and DVD combo out there, you can get it fairly cheap, it may be worth checking out, if you get in to them and decide you want all the albums the DVD still makes it a worth while purchase, it has all their videos on there and some live footage.:)

agree!! wheres ignoreland?? just curious..

• Options
    agree!! wheres ignoreland?? just curious..

England, changed it to that after the tour dates were announced and there was no proper shows here.:)
  • Options
    England, changed it to that after the tour dates were announced and there was no proper shows here.:)

ahhhhhhhhhhhh...so...do you know what reefer is here in the u.s.?

• Options
    ahhhhhhhhhhhh...so...do you know what reefer is here in the u.s.?

Lol! I think so, I've had that nickname since I was at school, I aint smoked the stuff in almost three years:) I'm actually studying to become a drugs counsellor now.:)
  • Options
    Lol! I think so, I've had that nickname since I was at school, I aint smoked the stuff in almost three years:) I'm actually studying to become a drugs counsellor now.:)

lol remember the signature on here by one of the jammers ..went something like this...Drugs may lead to nowhere...but at least its the scenic route?

• Options
    lol remember the signature on here by one of the jammers ..went something like this...Drugs may lead to nowhere...but at least its the scenic route?

Yeah I'll never regret experimenting and taking drugs and partying for all that time, but there comes a time when you meet the right person, start a family and go away from that life,:) and now I 'm going to use that experience and knowledge to help people who feel they have a problem and also have a well paid job to support my family with, which proves you can get the best from both worlds with excessive partying and drug taking:D
  • Options
    I LOVE fucking hostile!!! the chorus is great. not heard a new level
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,889
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby