Pharaoh Sanders

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited November 2006 in Other Music
the jazz thread that is taking off around here prompted me to start a thread about Pharaoh Sanders. He's probably one of the best tenor sax players of all time. Although he did a bunch of stuff with John Coltrane in the latter part of coltrane's life and also with Alice Coltrane, Sanders' solo records are something totally different. Most people who only know his playing on Coltrane's Ascension and the like would probably view his playing as violent and atonal but his solo records deal a lot more with spirituality and melody than you would expect. Check out Karma and Tauhid to hear some beautiful music.

anyone a fan? (I know finsburyparkcarrots will be :D)
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Yes!!!

That thread made me dig into my brain and think of so many greats.

You know whats's great about him, too? He's still alive!

It almost seems like to be a great jazz musician, you have a pretty short life expectancy.
    We saw him last year in New York City and he's still great and vital and his beard is getting even longer!

His work with Coltrane was a bit of a challenge for the average listener, and isn't for everybody. I like it, but I can only take so much. Pushing the boundries with a sax can really break some windows!!, but like you say, his solo stuff has so much passion and beauty. He has this way of hanging onto a melody and creating a musical tension, then releasing it, and making me go:

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

Good call for Pharoah!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Very intense times('65-'67) for Coltrane's recordings. Mirrored America in the day. I wish we had someone like John Coltrane right now.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Yes!!!

That thread made me dig into my brain and think of so many greats.

You know whats's great about him, too? He's still alive!

It almost seems like to be a great jazz musician, you have a pretty short life expectancy.
    We saw him last year in New York City and he's still great and vital and his beard is getting even longer!

His work with Coltrane was a bit of a challenge for the average listener, and isn't for everybody. I like it, but I can only take so much. Pushing the boundries with a sax can really break some windows!!, but like you say, his solo stuff has so much passion and beauty. He has this way of hanging onto a melody and creating a musical tension, then releasing it, and making me go:

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

Good call for Pharoah!
    I know what you mean. I personally love his crazy "out there" playing but I can understand why others don't. Sometimes his sax sounds like its crying in pain but to me that's a good thing :D I just absolutely love Upper Egypt & Lower Egypt from Tauhid. So beautiful for about 12 minutes and then its just wild! :)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • You must get this album, if you haven't it already!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_the_Village_Vanguard_Again!