Do yourself a favour...

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited April 2008 in Other Music
if you like ambient music, electronic music, anything with tape loops or just have an appreciation for really fucking beautiful art and download these.

http://riakosakos.blogspot.com/search?q=Basinski

William Basinski, an electronic musician, found some old tape loops that he archived 20 years ago and decided to convert them to digital so he could have a lasting document. He found that they were disintegrating before his eyes during the transfer process so he decided to record the disintegration and decay of his own, 20 year old music. This is truly beautiful stuff. The concept is brilliant but more importantly the music is hypnotic, peaceful, truly beautiful stuff and it unfolds as a natural process of decay.

One of my favourite musical discoveries in a long, long time.
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AlBorlandAlBorland Posts: 117
    cool man, thanks. always up for discovering cool new shit...downloading as i type. how's the quality?
    Skeletons ain't got nowhere to stick their money.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    AlBorland wrote:
    cool man, thanks. always up for discovering cool new shit...downloading as i type. how's the quality?
    It's alright. I have a lot of music that is far rougher. Obviously since the whole point of this project is to document and record the decay and breakdown of the music itself, degrading sound quality is part of the music.

I should warn that this is very slow, drawn out music. The pieces each consist of one loop that cycles for a LONG time until it reaches its natural demise but the atmosphere that builds is amazing.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • AlBorlandAlBorland Posts: 117
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    It's alright. I have a lot of music that is far rougher. Obviously since the whole point of this project is to document and record the decay and breakdown of the music itself, degrading sound quality is part of the music.

I should warn that this is very slow, drawn out music. The pieces each consist of one loop that cycles for a LONG time until it reaches its natural demise but the atmosphere that builds is amazing.

I'm 25 minutes into the first, really cool, epic stuff. I really wish I had a high quality pair of headphones. Also noticed these tapes got a 9.4/10 on pitchfork.
    Skeletons ain't got nowhere to stick their money.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    AlBorland wrote:
    I'm 25 minutes into the first, really cool, epic stuff. I really wish I had a high quality pair of headphones. Also noticed these tapes got a 9.4/10 on pitchfork.
    Yeah I just read that review :) this one is great too: http://www.hauntedink.com/25/basinski-disintegration.html

glad you're digging it.