Rites of Spring

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited April 2007 in Other Music
anyone a fan of one of the most underrated punk bands ever? considering they are credited (no matter how inaccurately) with starting probably the most popular musical sub-genre around at the moment (emo) they are pretty unrecognised by most people. I think For Want Of, Drink Deep and Spring are some of the best songs of the 80s, and For Want Of is one of the best songs I've ever heard. Most people only give them recognition for Guy Picciotto going on to be in Fugazi but their one album is brilliant and their EP was pretty good too.
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• halvhalv Posts: 699
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    anyone a fan of one of the most underrated punk bands ever? considering they are credited (no matter how inaccurately) with starting probably the most popular musical sub-genre around at the moment (emo) they are pretty unrecognised by most people. I think For Want Of, Drink Deep and Spring are some of the best songs of the 80s, and For Want Of is one of the best songs I've ever heard. Most people only give them recognition for Guy Picciotto going on to be in Fugazi but their one album is brilliant and their EP was pretty good too.

I totally agree...hugely underrated. Minor Threat get all the D.C. scene attention, but in my opinion Rites of Spring set the standard. Guy has one of the best voices in rock and I can't wait for the next time he releases an album (hopefully w/ Fugazi!!!).
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    halv wrote:
    I totally agree...hugely underrated. Minor Threat get all the D.C. scene attention, but in my opinion Rites of Spring set the standard. Guy has one of the best voices in rock and I can't wait for the next time he releases an album (hopefully w/ Fugazi!!!).
    oddly enough, I have never liked Guy's voice in Fugazi. I still love the songs and his songwriting but his voice always seemed to annoy me in Fugazi, unlike Ian's but in Rites of Spring for some reason I think he sounded great.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"