These hands could've moved mountains...

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited February 2008 in Other Music
Just listening to A Silver Mt. Zion and wondering how a band makes such beautiful music. Could've moved mountains is almost impossibly sad.

I cannot fucking believe I am not in London when they play here next.
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• It would be criminal to just let this topic die. I've kind of gone off them a bit over the last few months, but they're still one of my favorites. I've got 13 Blues For Thirteen Moons preordered, so now just waiting until March. I'd like to see their future music be more of a fusion of their current style and their older, more classically influenced, sound.
    I discovered the secret of life, but forgot to write it down.
  • I love GY!BE but never checked these guys out. Is it on par with Godspeed?
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    gleemonex wrote:
    I love GY!BE but never checked these guys out. Is it on par with Godspeed?
    Same question. And where to start?
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Kann wrote:
    Same question. And where to start?
    Godspeed are pretty much my favourite band in the world so NOTHING is on a par. ASMZ are still amazing though and the vocals bring a whole new dimension into it. I'd start from the beginning (He left us alone but shafts of light sometimes grace the corners of our rooms). Yup, they didn't get any less wordy :p which is the most GY!BE-like of their releases. Only a couple of tracks have vocals. If you go in chronological order you will hear the development of their sound. I think their second album, Born into trouble as the sparks fly upwards, is their best. The Triumph of our Tired Eyes is heartbreaking.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • 13 Blues for Thirteen Moons is my favorite record of the year, thus far. Absolutely tremendous.
    The car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
    And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Matt Lukin wrote:
    13 Blues for Thirteen Moons is my favorite record of the year, thus far. Absolutely tremendous.
    You couldn't wait for the official release either then? :)

great album. much more rocking than the others.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    You couldn't wait for the official release either then? :)

great album. much more rocking than the others.

No, never. I'm a habitual downloader, I guess.

I agree about the rocking. Gives the record a real epic feel to it.
    The car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
    And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides