Bone Machine by Tom Waits

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited December 2006 in Other Music
Today I got this, along with Rain Dogs and swordfishtrombones to add to my collection. I have to say it is an incredible album. I've never heard anything like it. It's dark as hell and pretty weird but just so good. The lyrics are amazing, the sparse sound with the trademark waits "bone" percussion is just so atmosperic and creepy. It's probably my favourite Waits album already. Any love for Bone Machine here?
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ICnredible record. Love the imagery he paints with the lyrics. Earth died screaming, dirt in the ground, jesus gonna be here...all incredible.
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    oh yes. 'twas my first Waits purchase and the record that got me into the man.

bought it on a whim....saw the cover....had to have it.

after hearing all of Waits' catalog, I'd say it's in my top 5.

brilliant record.

side two has to be the greatest consecutive run of Waits songs ever:

* In the Colosseum
    * Goin' Out West
    * Murder in the Red Barn
    * Black Wings
    * Whistle Down the Wind
    * I Don't Wanna Grow Up
    * Let Me Get Up On It
    * That Feel
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • definitely a good album, but its not one of my faves.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Today I got this, along with Rain Dogs and swordfishtrombones to add to my collection. I have to say it is an incredible album. I've never heard anything like it. It's dark as hell and pretty weird but just so good. The lyrics are amazing, the sparse sound with the trademark waits "bone" percussion is just so atmosperic and creepy. It's probably my favourite Waits album already. Any love for Bone Machine here?
    for me bone machine is nothing on rain dogs and especially Swordfishtrombones which I think is amazing
  • my fav Tom Waits album.