Richey James Edwards

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited April 2007 in Other Music
I think Richey Edwards was utterly brilliant. I generally have a great deal of suspicion for the stereotypical "tortured soul" kind of rock star but, like Layne Staley, I think Richey was genuine and his talent was undeniable. I've been listening to the Manic's "The Holy Bible" all day and just can't believe how brilliant this record is. Lyrically it is, in turns, beautiful, grotesque, violent, touching, angry, plaintive, visceral, despairing. I know that Nicky Wire wrote some of the lyrics and James Dean Bradfield made one of the most musically interesting albums of the 90s but it is Richey's album through and through.

any love for Richey and The Holy Bible
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    what james dean bradfield album are you referring to?

the Holy Bible can surely claim to be possibly the top brit album of the 90s, at the time I was pretty ignorant of the manics. Generation terrorists is such a mess to my ear(apart from that One Song) that I find it even more remarkable they were able to come out with the Holy Bible.
    it can make harsh listening though.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    elmer wrote:
    what james dean bradfield album are you referring to?

the Holy Bible can surely claim to be possibly the top brit album of the 90s, at the time I was pretty ignorant of the manics. Generation terrorists is such a mess to my ear(apart from that One Song) that I find it even more remarkable they were able to come out with the Holy Bible.
    it can make harsh listening though.
    I was saying that JDB made The Holy Bible one of the most musically interesting albums of the 90s. I actually really like Generation Terrorists. There are some average songs and the production is shitty, 80s crap but songs like Slash n' burn, Motorcycle emptiness, Stay Beautiful, Another Invented Disease, Crucifix Kiss and Spectators of Suicide are brilliant.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    4st 7lb.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • MJSB74MJSB74 Posts: 75
    Did you know there are people who don't actually own The Holy Bible? These people are deprived+should seek help immediately. Alternatively they could just buy the record and listen to one of the greatest records ever made.
    4st 7lb.
    that song is so amazing. the lyrics are horrible but so moving. I have vague worries that I am too thin and underweight, although not to that extent and not through any psychological problems, so it kind of makes me think a lot.

"self-worth scattered, self esteems a bore,
    I've long since moved to a higher plateau.
    This disciplines so rare so please applaud,
    just look at the fat scum who pamper me so"
  • rockpantsrockpants Posts: 838
    MJSB74 wrote:
    Did you know there are people who don't actually own The Holy Bible? These people are deprived+should seek help immediately. Alternatively they could just buy the record and listen to one of the greatest records ever made.

Agreed. Even if it sounds arrogant and assholish. :)
    rockpants wrote:
    Agreed. Even if it sounds arrogant and assholish. :)
    if arrogance and assholishness are what is needed to make every person own a copy of that album then so be it :)

"For sale, dumb cunts, same dumb questions.
    virgins? listen, all virgins are liars honey"
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Totally agree The Holy Bible is so unbeliveably awesome, given the direction the Manics have gone since Richey's departure, I think the Manics could have been the best band in the world between Richey and James writing together, unfortunately I think Richey realised this as well and it scared the shit out of him.:(
    Can not be arsed with life no more.