Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited December 2006 in Other Music
A complete masterpiece. Even if it wasn't for the 37 bonus tracks on the LA's desert origins re-issue this would be worth the £13 that I paid for it yesterday. Why the don't other bands treat their fans as good as Pavement do? Its a shame they broke up. Am I to assume that Brighten the corners and terror twilight are to get the same treatment?
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    A complete masterpiece. Even if it wasn't for the 37 bonus tracks on the LA's desert origins re-issue this would be worth the £13 that I paid for it yesterday. Why the don't other bands treat their fans as good as Pavement do? Its a shame they broke up. Am I to assume that Brighten the corners and terror twilight are to get the same treatment?

I don't have the reissue but i have the original and i enjoy it immensly. they made some really good albums.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:

i think Brighten the Corners definitely. Not so sure about Terror Twilight though. I'm pumped for Brighten - i never bought that album because i know it's going to get the treatment. It's going to be a brand new Pavement album for me!

Those special editions put all others to shame. They had enough unreleased stuff to put out 2 more albums.
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    I just picked up the re-issue of Wowee Zowee, and it's effin sweet. Highly recommend it.
  • 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    i've got slanted and enchanted and crooked rain (x2) remastered deluxe editions and they are phenomenal. great extra material is packed in there. i haven't gotten Wowee yet, but plan on it. this is how remastering/repackaged editions of albums should be done.

by the by, anyone think malkmus is now creating music that's even better than pavement by himself and w/ the Jicks?

also, is it true the drummer from Sleater-Kinney (Janet?) is drumming for the Jicks now?
    Live Free or Die!
  • cc10106 wrote:
    I just picked up the re-issue of Wowee Zowee, and it's effin sweet. Highly recommend it.

yes-yes-yes! it's amazing. i'm going out on a limb, but i think "Muscle Rock (is a horse in transition)" is in my top 3 Pavement songs of all time. It's a b-side: #24 on disc 1 and i'm in love w/it.

it's great, between the three reissues, i've put together a hell of a b-side mix in iTunes.

What goes on?
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    3sheets wrote:
    i've got slanted and enchanted and crooked rain (x2) remastered deluxe editions and they are phenomenal. great extra material is packed in there. i haven't gotten Wowee yet, but plan on it. this is how remastering/repackaged editions of albums should be done.

by the by, anyone think malkmus is now creating music that's even better than pavement by himself and w/ the Jicks?

also, is it true the drummer from Sleater-Kinney (Janet?) is drumming for the Jicks now?

I still think Pavement will get back together at some point in the next year or two. But then again, it might be like their last 2 records, which seemed more like Malkmus solo projects. Same thing happened with the Lemonheads, and they're back!
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    yeah both Brighten and Terror Twilight are getting the reisue treatment.

there was an interview at pitchfork and Spiral Stairs confirmed this.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    It is completely unbelievable that popular 90s bands haven't copied the reissue idea Pavement/Matador are doing. How many copies of Nevermind would sell if they added the b-sides at the end of the album and then a full live show as a 2nd disc? I have seen The Blue Album and Sublime have been reissued in a matter like this recently, but I'm really surprised it isn't a more popular way to milk a classic album.

Sorry, I got sidetracked, Crooked Rain is great, I hadn't heard it in full in years before I picked up the reissue last summer, really terrific. I still prefer S&E, but CR,CR is a close second. I need to pick up the Wowee, Zowee reissue soon, I have never heard that album.
  • CM1847 wrote:
    I have never heard that album.

get it - NOW. It's their White Album - all over the map but it has some of their best songs.

What goes on?
  • say_hisay_hi Posts: 312
    I love CR,CR!!! But at times I feel Wowee Zowee is a little better. PAvement is such an underrated band!!! I'm pumped to see Stephen Malkmus on tour next month, I got tickets for his Plug Awards performance and his show at Maxwell's!!!
    4/30/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/4/06 (Letterman Mini-Concert), 5/5/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10