Shortest song of all time

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited March 2007 in Other Music
is apparently "You suffer" by legendary UK Grindcore band Napalm Death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z1IGjr2cT0

apparently the vocals say "You suffer, but why?" in 1.3 seconds

I can't decide if its the funniest or dumbest thing ever.
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    definitely the dumbest. that's not a song.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    How about the song titled "One Note" by Pearl Jam. I'm pretty that was less than 1.3 seconds.
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    I think the shortest song ever that was not intended to be a partial song or a throwaway gesture...

Little Room, by the White Stripes. Certainly there are many, many songs that are shorter, but Little Room is 50 seconds and certainly not a throwaway filler song.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if Brian Eno has them all beaten.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Awesome
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Lame.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,850
    that was dumb. even though I do think a point can be made or something can be expressed in 1.3 seconds.......this video didn't do it.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • In 1994 Eno was approached by Mark Malamud and Erik Gavriluk, senior designers at Microsoft on the Cairo project. The result was the start-up sound for the Windows 95 operating system. From an interview with the San Francisco Chronicle:

The idea came up at the time when I was completely bereft of ideas. I'd been working on my own music for a while and was quite lost, actually. And I really appreciated someone coming along and saying, "Here's a specific problem – solve it." The thing from the agency said, "We want a piece of music that is inspiring, universal, blah-blah, da-da-da, optimistic, futuristic, sentimental, emotional," this whole list of adjectives, and then at the bottom it said "and it must be 3¼ seconds long." I thought this was so funny and an amazing thought to actually try to make a little piece of music. It's like making a tiny little jewel. In fact, I made 84 pieces. I got completely into this world of tiny, tiny little pieces of music. I was so sensitive to microseconds at the end of this that it really broke a logjam in my own work. Then when I'd finished that and I went back to working with pieces that were like three minutes long, it seemed like oceans of time.
  • Red Lukin wrote:
    How about the song titled "One Note" by Pearl Jam. I'm pretty that was less than 1.3 seconds.

that's a who song I believe
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • In 1994 Eno was approached by Mark Malamud and Erik Gavriluk, senior designers at Microsoft on the Cairo project. The result was the start-up sound for the Windows 95 operating system. From an interview with the San Francisco Chronicle:

The idea came up at the time when I was completely bereft of ideas. I'd been working on my own music for a while and was quite lost, actually. And I really appreciated someone coming along and saying, "Here's a specific problem – solve it." The thing from the agency said, "We want a piece of music that is inspiring, universal, blah-blah, da-da-da, optimistic, futuristic, sentimental, emotional," this whole list of adjectives, and then at the bottom it said "and it must be 3¼ seconds long." I thought this was so funny and an amazing thought to actually try to make a little piece of music. It's like making a tiny little jewel. In fact, I made 84 pieces. I got completely into this world of tiny, tiny little pieces of music. I was so sensitive to microseconds at the end of this that it really broke a logjam in my own work. Then when I'd finished that and I went back to working with pieces that were like three minutes long, it seemed like oceans of time.
    fascinating.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Red Lukin wrote:
    Proud to say that I was there for the first performance of that classic...:rolleyes:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    In 1994 Eno was approached by Mark Malamud and Erik Gavriluk, senior designers at Microsoft on the Cairo project. The result was the start-up sound for the Windows 95 operating system. From an interview with the San Francisco Chronicle:

haha, that's fucking awesome; the man's crazy.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    tybird wrote:
    Proud to say that I was there for the first performance of that classic...:rolleyes:

you lucky bastard ;)
  • bestsanebestsane Posts: 131
    Here's something from Wikipedia. It's a Guiness World Record dude.

"You Suffer" is a song by the British grindcore band Napalm Death. The song has earned a place in the Guinness Book of Records as the shortest recorded song ever. It is precisely 1.316 seconds long and consists of the almost incomprehensible lyrics "You suffer - but why?".

The song was recorded in 1986 and is featured on the album Scum, released in 1987. Napalm Death usually perform the song during live concerts as well.

To coincide with the release of the Scum dualdisc in March 2007, a video was released for the song
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    As in a decipherable, actual song, it's gotta be from The Who's Tommy. "Miracle Cure" I think.
  • niallniall Posts: 244
    One note isn't a Who cover. it is actually an underestimated moving piece of music that needs only one note played to display all the emotion and meaning..!!!!!
  • larslars Posts: 524
    bestsane wrote:
    Here's something from Wikipedia. It's a Guiness World Record dude.
    Respect! Short and to the point...much better than most british bands and american emo bands. The second shortest could be nuclear assaults "Art", it´s 8 seconds and the lyrics go: ".....it´s fucking art, man"
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    Kyuss had a really short song too that just went 'yeah'... think it was called 'Yeah' :D
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • luxpjamerluxpjamer Posts: 837
    Here's not the shortest song but the shortest music Video. It's called Yoko Ono by die ärzte

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4oI9SKO_PA

lyrics:
    Du hast mir nichts als Pech gebracht,
    hast mich nur belogen,
    hast mich lächerlich gemacht,
    mein Konto überzogen!

Du nervst noch mehr als Yoko Ono!
    Du gehst mir tierisch auf den Sack!
    Du haust nicht ab aus meiner Wohnung;
    hast einen beschissenen Musikgeschmack!

(+/- ;))Trsl
    You brought me absoutely no luck
    You were just lying to me
    you were bringing me to ridicule
    and were owerdrawing my account

you unnerved me more than yoko ono
    you're really mithering me
    you won't get out of my flat
    and got a really bad music taste
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    Jennytree wrote:
    Kyuss had a really short song too that just went 'yeah'... think it was called 'Yeah' :D

I bought that song off of Blues for the Red Sun... Thumbs up to Brant Bjork.
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    tybird wrote:

...and yet you still want them to play the south. ;)

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org