Hardcore punk

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited March 2007 in Other Music
I'm a huge fan of hardcore punk. I think it's the purest, rawest form of musical expression that there is. Don't get me wrong, I love everything from rap, jazz, thrash metal, soul, blues, country and electronica but I can't imagine anything on the level of something like Minor Threat for pure energy and ability to channel a feeling. anyhoo, I have recently formed a band with some likeminded friends and we are having our first practice on monday. I was wondering if anyone could make some suggestions for songs we could cover/songs or bands that I might not have heard.

I was thinking:
Minor Threat, Bottled Violence and Filler - Minor Threat
Rise Above, TV party, My war - Black Flag
Pay to cum, Banned in DC - Bad Brains
Teen Idles - Teen Idles
Husker Du - All of Land Speed Record :D

just for a beginning.
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• A Dead Kennedys song would be sweet. But I think you guys should play originals. It's much more fun. I have a punk band you should check out http://www.myspace.com/theehminors (shameless promotion, I know) Have fun and good luck with the band!
    Walking is still honest
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    You might wanna throw some Dead Kennedy's in there along with Circle Jerks and my personal favorite Agent Orange.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    A Dead Kennedys song would be sweet. But I think you guys should play originals. It's much more fun. I have a punk band you should check out http://www.myspace.com/theehminors (shameless promotion, I know) Have fun and good luck with the band!
    yeah obviously making our own music is the number one priority but I can't think of anything I'd rather do than rip out a good minor threat cover live. In fact, I recorded a demo today to show bring out at our practice and see what the band thinks. its alright I guess but the vocals aren't as angry as I'd like :D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    how bout some sick of it all songs
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• godeatgodgodeatgod Posts: 20
    Slapshot - Last Laugh
    Have Heart - Armed With A Mind
    Modern Life Is War - Marshaltown
    7 Seconds - Young Til I Die
    Shelter - Society Based On Bodies
    Ten Yard Fight - Pit Of Equality
    Agnostic Front - Police State
    Floorpunch - Changes
    Minor Threat - Straight Edge
    Black Flag - Depression
    Project X - Straight Edge Revenge
    Judge - In My Way
    Bane - Ante Up
    Youth Of Today - Break Down The Walls
    Glood Clean Fun - Today Was A Positive Day
    Siege - Drop Dead
    108 - Scandal
    Cro-Mags - By Myself
    Throwdown - Don't Lose Sight
    Gorilla Biscuits - Start Today
    Bold - Nailed To The X
    Ceremony - You're All The Same
    godeatgod wrote:
    Minor Threat - Straight Edge
    We couldn't play straight edge. I love the song but it would seem so fucking stupid and false to sing it when none of us are straight edge. I like to drink, I admit it openly. I respect other's choice not to but it ain't for me.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    green day.

go ahead.......
    brain of c wrote:
    green day.

go ahead.......
    no
  • godeatgodgodeatgod Posts: 20
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    We couldn't play straight edge. I love the song but it would seem so fucking stupid and false to sing it when none of us are straight edge. I like to drink, I admit it openly. I respect other's choice not to but it ain't for me.
    Maybe you could be ironic like Blood For Blood and cover Wasted Youth Crew
    godeatgod wrote:
    Maybe you could be ironic like Blood For Blood and cover Wasted Youth Crew
    I don't know though... an ironic cover would seem like a pisstake and I love Minor Threat. its just a song that isnt relevant for me, for all my liking it.