Tori Amos

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Anyone a fan? suggestions for albums to get first?
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    It never hurts, IMHO, to start with a Greatest Hits package. Tori's is titled "Tales of the Librarian."
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • mensanemensane Posts: 912
    definitely start with Little Earthquakes...
  • allornoneallornone Posts: 269
    I'm really liking her new single "Big Wheel". It's currently streaming on her website. Sounds like this new album is going to be better than Tales from the Librarian.

Also looks like she is going to announce some US Tour dates soon. Yeah!
  • mensane wrote:
    definitely start with Little Earthquakes...

Agreed. Amazing album.
  • little earthquakes would be my choice as well
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
    All her albums seems to be quite different. My favorites:

Under The Pink
    Scarlet's Walk
    Little Earthquakes
    From The Choirgirl Hotel

Only heard parts of "Tales ... " but I didn't like much of that.

Boys for Pele has a couple good songs.

I would definitly stay away from Strange Litttle Girls.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    allornone wrote:
    Sounds like this new album is going to be better than Tales from the Librarian.
    So, you didn't like the greatest hits collection....Tales from the Librarian??? Don't you mean "The Beekeeper", which was her last album?
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    My picks:
    Little Earthquakes
    From The Choirgirl Hotel
    Strange Little Girls
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    tybird wrote:
    So, you didn't like the greatest hits collection....Tales from the Librarian??? Don't you mean "The Beekeeper", which was her last album?

i think he was saying he expected this new album to be even better than that one, which im guessing he assumed was a regular album.
  • peepspeeps Posts: 79
    i would like to screw the bejesus out of her.
  • My faves thus far are:

Boys for Pele
    Scarlet's Walk
    Little Earthquakes
    From the Choirgirl Hotel

But they are all solid, as is the latest: The Beekeeper.
    tybird wrote:

You're right; I got those two confused, I meant to say that I hope the new album is better than The Beekeeper
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I'd say start with Little Earthquakes and work your way up to the present. Boys for Pele is my favorite, but it's probably hard to handle if you're not already familiar with her earlier stuff.

I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to the new album. The Beekeeper does not work for me at all! I do quite like Scarlet's Walk though, so maybe that last album was just a temporary lapse of judgment . . .
  • Icicle---a song that is so erotic and yet so blasphemous all at the same time.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Tori Amos is a genius! Her writing both lyrically and musically has such a brutally honest and beautifully conveyed emotional directness, especially in terms of the darker realms of experience, that she can immediately reach into the deepest, hidden alcoves of the heart and mind. Once there, she brings some of the most suppressed and often painful issues to the surface, with her poignant musical invocations. This is where the her music has an extraordinary ability to provide an outlet for expression and release of the most volatile of inner emotions. What more could you ask for in music?!!
    Aoxamoxa
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    looks like i'm out-voted but for me "from the choirgirl hotel" is really her only must have album, it's brilliant, the others i don't really like so much.